Music & Coral?

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure everyone's heard of the whole plants and music experiment. But does anyone play music for their reef tanks? I being a musician play clarinet, guitar, bass, piano, and am always playing music around my tank and my corals seem to be doing just fine. I've often left classical music on in hopes it'd relax my fish as it does some terrestrial creatures. Does that sound crazy? What are you guys' opinions?

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure hope it relaxes them or at least doesn't stress them out, my tank is in my living room with a 1000 watt surround sound. Corals I don't think mind but fish with their lateral line business might not like it so much. Next time I'm blasting music or a movie I'll watch my tank and see if I spot odd behavior

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure hope it relaxes them or at least doesn't stress them out, my tank is in my living room with a 1000 watt surround sound. Corals I don't think mind but fish with their lateral line business might not like it so much. Next time I'm blasting music or a movie I'll watch my tank and see if I spot odd behavior
Awesome! let me know what happens!

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Six_Days

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can't remember where I read it, but deep bass is supposed to be bad for fish and stress them out.

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite thing is having the house to myself on a Sunday morning, doing tank maintenance in my PJs & blasting Lana Del Rey.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bass thing makes sense to me because their lateral line is designed to pick up even minute vibrations, music is just that, vibrations, specially bass heavy songs. Real question is can they get used to it over time.

My subwoofer is directly across from my tank and even though it's on a closed cell foam pad it still shakes the floor which in turn shakes the tank which shakes the fish.

I've never thought about it before this thread, and even if I do find they get a little stressed theres not much I'm willing to do about it as harsh as it sounds. Movies will still be enjoyed and I'm still going to blast sweet home Alabama on weekends. Maybe to make up for it ill feed them twice on the weekend. Or put on a great barrier reef documentary for them every now and then.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to crank up all different kinds of music all the time. My neighbors hated me, but the fish didn't seem to notice.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started playing music at 40% volume and the fish didn't even seam to notice it, I usually only go as high as 60% anything higher and it starts disrupting brainwaves, everything seams normal. I can actually feel the bass on the tank glass and they don't seam to mind at all. Song was "throw it back" a pretty bass heavy song.

One of the small speakers is actually inches from the tank and they just went about their business hunting copepods. 20200124_204852.jpg 20200124_204658.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back