"Must Have" versus "Nice to Have"

Do you have a hard time distinguishing between "what you want" and "what you need" in this hobby?

• Yes

Votes: 264 44.1%
  • No

Votes: 234 39.1%
  • I can't even decide on yes or no

Votes: 101 16.9%

• Total voters

tonysour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What do you think are the "Must Haves" in this hobby?

I think some "must haves" are proper adequate lighting, RODI system, test kits for at least basic parameters, and patience lol.

2. What do you think are the "Nice To Haves" in this hobby?

When it comes to "nice to haves" I would say equipment like media reactors, auto dosing pumps and auto feeders.

3. How do you think all the equipment tech in the hobby effects potential new hobbyists when they see all the choices?

Personally I feel like technology has really helped this hobby out both for long time hobbyists and newcomers. Equipment like ATO w/high and low alarms or auto dosing pumps that replenish your tanks nutrients on a daily basis takes away a lot of the tedious upkeep that's needed for aquariums. Any tool or equipment that's automated gives you more time to enjoy your aquarium, fish and corals.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water, Lights, Heater, Test Kits & Patience

Controllers, Automatic Testing, Bigger Tank & More money to get the Nice to Haves, lol.

3. How do you think all the equipment tech in the hobby effects potential new hobbyists when they see all the choices? If they don't have a good LFS to get info or don't know about Forums like this one it can be very intimidating.

Last edited:

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need: the obvious, lights, flow, LR, heater, salt and water, alk and NO3 test kits, etc
Need for me to stay in the hobby and not burn out: ATO, controller, dosers
Want: Trident, fancy controllable lights, fancy controllable powerheads and pumps, skimmer (yes, not a need for me)

I try and keep it pretty basic, but I just bought a trident, which is probably the only 'fancy want' I have.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the key things I think you need to have a successful reef tank is high quality live rock. I wish I knew this when I got into the hobby three years ago; it would have saved me money on dying livestock and established much quicker.

Requiemiero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a new person wanting to come into this hobby, it's definitely overwhelming.

Watching the BRS 52 Weeks of Reefing series right now and they really go all out to explain every little bit of reefing including all the cool gadgets and add ons that can be had. It was extremely informative, but also it made me feel like I needed EVERYTHING and so I was never going to be able to get started.

But after rewatching some things, reading things on reddit r/ReefTank, and reading things on here, I was able to break down what the basics are and determined what add ons I want to incorporate to my tank.

Need: tank, rock, something for flow, heater, light, testing kit, RODI water.

Lesser need: quarantine tank with meds (probably going to get some flack for listing it as a lesser need), ATO, carbon or other filtration, etc.

Want: lid, refugium, doser, aquarium controller, UV sterilizer, etc.

Seeing how long it took me to research to get to the conclusions I have though, I can see how some other people interested in the hobby may give up without even starting.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must have patience and go slow. I for one bought a lot of gizmos which I didn’t need, sold for less than paid along with some deaths put a dent in the old pocketbook. Lessons learned along the way.

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must have - beyond the obvious stuff like salt, water, lights etc - is an ATO. I honestly don't know how anyone could keep anything alive without an automated way to top off.

But at this point my "must haves" are really the same as "nice to haves". I must have whatever makes my tank stable, keeps me interested, and is fun. Which is pretty much every piece of overkill equipment out there lol. I've gone off the deep.

It is overwhelming to newcomers though. I remember being particularly confused about dosing/dosers when starting out. Advice: Just start with the bare basics, then add one piece at a time as you learn more.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must have - beyond the obvious stuff like salt, water, lights etc - is an ATO. I honestly don't know how anyone could keep anything alive without an automated way to top off.

But at this point my "must haves" are really the same as "nice to haves". I must have whatever makes my tank stable, keeps me interested, and is fun. Which is pretty much every piece of overkill equipment out there lol. I've gone off the deep.

It is overwhelming to newcomers though. I remember being particularly confused about dosing/dosers when starting out. Advice: Just start with the bare basics, then add one piece at a time as you learn more.
Well said, I couldn’t agree more.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MUST HAVE THE REAL DESIRE, to do the research on everything that's involved.
This is free (So to speak) in todays world.
#2 Must Haves. To me, good equipment, especially for the critical life support parts. Do the research and buy once, this does not mean the more expensive is the best.

This is a "dependent on" question. Depending on the individuals situation.
All of the automation systems normally fall into the nice to have category, but for me its under the must haves. I have a family, a business to run, and travel for that business.
So full automation is a must have.

3. How do you think all the equipment tech in the hobby effects potential new hobbyists when they see all the choices?

I would guess its a bit overwhelming.
But the new person needs to learn that research is priority number 1 in this hobby.

BryanJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must haves: ro/di, auto top off, proper flow, sump and proper spectrum of lighting

nice to have: high end equipment for example you don’t need a bubble king skimmer when reef octopus will do a great job for a lot less money

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back