"Must Have" versus "Nice to Have"

Do you have a hard time distinguishing between "what you want" and "what you need" in this hobby?

• Yes

Votes: 264 44.1%
  • No

Votes: 234 39.1%
  • I can't even decide on yes or no

Votes: 101 16.9%

• Total voters

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need: tank, water, heater, flow. Everything else is situational or optional. Think QT tank requirements. Now you won't be nearly as successful without the optional stuff, but there are work arounds for almost everything. Frequent water changes can mitigate most non-essential equipment.

The ever increasing assortment of equipment and tech available has got to be absolutely intimidating to beginners. It's what makes forums like R2R so valuable to the uninitiated.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mad? Calm yourself down. Keep mining my posts. Yes I don’t know most basic coral names etc..... because I don’t buy stuff based off of what is trendy and popular..... I buy what I like.

I have had the WD for probably 6 months. All of my SPS are growing, no I don’t have any big “colonies”. And I haven’t taken many pictures lately, but I’m sure you’ve already dug through all of my posts. I am not telling you how to run your tank, so just call yourself down boss

I dont believe you. All good, you do you.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get by with minimal or no testing. You could run a tank with NSW or LFS water and do frequent water changes to handle nutrients with no testing whatsoever. Not sure what the argument here is on a thread asking for OPINION.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get by with minimal or no testing. You could run a tank with NSW or LFS water and do frequent water changes to handle nutrients with no testing whatsoever. Not sure what the argument here is on a thread asking for OPINION.

opinions are fine, when you’re quoted and being called out for your own opinion that testing and dosing is a requirement then that’s a different story. everyone has different tanks and sizes, different livestock etc... being told do “do some water changes” in response to a belief that testing is required doesn’t bring anything to the table. I run a larger volume tank with heavy sps. If I shut off my calc reactor for 24 hours my alk swings would be so unhealthy that it would be impossible for long term success. NSW is actually difficult to maintain without dosing; I don’t know about you but changing 100G of water daily to account for uptake would get old and expensive really really quick.

The correct answer is: NSW without dosing can be easy to maintain if your tank volume and livestock demands were minimal.

If I wasn’t quoted directly and told I need to do some water changes by someone who is still figuring out the basics 3 months ago then there would be 100% zero issue with a statement that dosing isn’t a requirement.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
opinions are fine, when you’re quoted and being called out for your own opinion that testing and dosing is a requirement then that’s a different story. everyone has different tanks and sizes, different livestock etc... being told do “do some water changes” in response to a belief that testing is required doesn’t bring anything to the table. I run a larger volume tank with heavy sps. If I shut off my calc reactor for 24 hours my alk swings would be so unhealthy that it would be impossible for long term success. NSW is actually difficult to maintain without dosing; I don’t know about you but changing 100G of water daily to account for uptake would get old and expensive really really quick.

The correct answer is: NSW without dosing can be easy to maintain if your tank volume and livestock demands were minimal.

If I wasn’t quoted directly and told I need to do some water changes by someone who is still figuring out the basics 3 months ago then there would be 100% zero issue with a statement that dosing isn’t a requirement.

Who touched you man? Chill

I wasn’t telling you to do water changes. I was telling the one asking the question.

Settle down the daddy-issued roid-rage. Get some skin snowflake

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who touched you man? Chill

I wasn’t telling you to do water changes. I was telling the one asking the question.

Settle down the daddy-issued roid-rage. Get some skin snowflake

nobody did, just don’t like my basic opinion being quoted with arrogant response. I see a ridiculous response and click your history to see guy that asks for advice for the oddest things, doesn’t take said advice and then acts like an expert I’m going to call you out. Sorry you’re hurt about it man...im guessing your mouth gets you into trouble often in the real world.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nobody did, just don’t like my basic opinion being quoted with arrogant response. I see a ridiculous response and click your history to see guy that asks for advice for the oddest things, doesn’t take said advice and then acts like an expert I’m going to call you out. Sorry you’re hurt about it man...im guessing your mouth gets you into trouble often in the real world.

Immediately ran to post history to point out my inexperience with coral identification amongst other things, and used that as justification to dismiss my opinion that testing isn’t the be-all-end-all.

“don’t believe you”. ha. good. I’m not asking you to. I don’t really care what you think of my “hardy easy LPS”. Or Nems that are “oh so fragile”

Like I said before, I never told you how to run your tank....... Urinate in it, pray to it, ICP test it every 6 hours...... I don’t care.... it’s your tank.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Immediately ran to post history to point out my inexperience with coral identification amongst other things, and used that as justification to dismiss my opinion that testing isn’t the be-all-end-all.

“don’t believe you”. ha. good. I’m not asking you to. I don’t really care what you think of my “hardy easy LPS”. Or Nems that are “oh so fragile”

Like I said before, I never told you how to run your tank....... Urinate in it, pray to it, ICP test it every 6 hours...... I don’t care.... it’s your tank.
cool peace got it, let’s exit from this thread .

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any trouble distinguishing between "need" and "want". I just have a hard time honoring that distinction.

PS: That applies to everything in my life.
PPS: To put it another way - if I'm really struggling with a decision it's almost always because I already know the right choice, and I'm trying to figure out how to make the wrong one be right.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, with all this drama, I wish I grabbed my bag of popcorn.

tenor.gif

Back