My 10 year old 72 bow

Junkie

Addicted since 05'
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! My tank is 10 years old this year and and I wanted to document where it stands as of currently. All corals in the tank we’re grown from small frags. Some of which are older than some of my children. A little background: I set up my very first reef tank in the fall of 2005 which was a 10g glass box with a HOB penguin filter running poly filter and carbon. At the time the lighting I ran was some good ol’ power compacts. No skimmer, and did weekly 50% water changes and had good results. Around 2007 I upgraded to a 32g tall tank and ran a HOB prizim skimmer and had a Current sunpod (I think) 150w HQI metal halide I had great results with that tank as well then in 2009 I set up my current tank. In the beginning I struggled with this tank. Originally I had two 150w MHs over it and a mag 12 return pump so I was constantly battling high temps. I was also working way too much and was neglecting my water changes and not monitoring chemistry like I should have so as a result the tanks inhabitants success fluctuated up and down for a few years. Around 2011 I bought some black box LEDs to try and fix my heat issue and that helped considerably. But it was a double edged sword bucause they couldn’t be adjusted and were way too powerful and fried the top half of my tank. I have since added diffusers and shortened my photo period to accommodate for their power. Funny enough I’m still using the same lights today, I guess something can be said for their longevity. The tank is humming along happily, some ups and some downs over the years but my love has stayed the same since day one. I still find myself watching my fish swim for hours on end and still regularly irritate the tank’s inhabitants with a flashlight in the middle of the night. Even after all these years my wife still thinks I’m nuts for as much I geek out over little surprises in my stupid box of water. Anyways, I figured I’d share some of my journey in hopes someone can find a little inspiration to keep at it or start something new.
E792132C-04FB-442B-8531-EED55ABED8CD.jpeg
My first tank the 10g
A618DA07-72C9-4C7B-AE88-443AAE0DDF09.jpeg
my second tank 32g

BA5173CB-AB47-4E6B-BE2B-8D187ABCBAB1.jpeg
my current 72g bow

OP
OP
J

Junkie

Addicted since 05'
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and all my corals were grown from small frags. For instance my Miami Hurricane that I grew from this 3 eyed booger to the size of a dinner plate with some fragging along the way. And that Favia is now larger than my fist. I unfortunately lost the Oregon mummy eye a few years back when my 2 part jugs ran dry for a few weeks unnoticed and had some wild PH swings. It was about the size of an open hand at the time.
889564DA-A2F9-46D9-AC8D-BFAF40D72B9E.jpeg
0EC4CE78-2A21-4B36-80DF-9F8790CEC068.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Junkie

Addicted since 05'
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NY_Caveman Thank you, it’s seen better days but i have found that there are always ups and downs in this hobby. As for the blenny it’s around the 5” mark and I can’t honsetly say what part of the world he came from. I’ll have to take some better pictures of the tank in the future to share.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back