My 110 Gallon Experiment

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The main goal of this tank is to gain experience and learn how to do saltwater. My plan is to make this tank as natural as possible and that means I will not be chasing numbers but rather trying to keep a healthy food chain of animals and to feed everything healthily and variably. I want to use as few chemicals as possible but adding as many plankton as possible and creating a breeding population up the food chain.

Reef Tank:
Equipment
28th January - for 1000$ bought a lightly used:
-110 (60"x18"x24") tank with glass lid and stand
-fluvial FX6 canister filter
-fluval marine 46 W light
-~75lbs live rock + GSP rock
-10 snails and hermit crabs
-buckets, 5G totes, aquarium cleaners, heaters, test kits, 8.4, food, and other basic equipment
55BA3047-EFFE-4294-AEF5-D37C2BC3318B.jpeg

Bought at LFS:
-200G box RPM salt
-~75lb live rock
-3 bags (120) lbs Aragonite special grade dry sand
-2 Aquamai KPS wavemaker
- 100gal/hr RODI filter
-Dr Tims bacterial starter
tempImageqFDnBq.png

Bought later:
-Tunze 9012 skimmer
-fluval marine 59W light
-Changed to IO reef crystals

Livestock
Green Star Polyp (moved to other tank) started with

Frostbite Clown mid Feb
Domino Clown

Assorted CUC late Feb
Emerald Crab
4 (now 3) Benggai Cardinalfish

Rock Flower Anemone early Mar
Pandora Zoa
Bob Marley Zoa
Yellow Parazoas
Red Xenia (moved to other tank)
Green Base Toadstool

2 1 Firefish ( 1murdered by Hortulanus)
Foxface Lo

Melanurus
Wrasse mid Mar
Skunk shrimp
Grape Caulerpa (refugium)
Fighting conch
Diamond Goby

Fire Shrimp late Mar
Zoa Colony
Naoko Wrasse (UNWD)

Frogspawn early Apr
Pipe Organ
Fruit Loops Zoa

2 (bred pair) Biota Blue Mandarins. mid Apr
2 1 Biota Court Jester Goby (1 given to LFS due to bullying)
Midas Blenny
Blastos
Duncans

Royal Gramma Basslet. Late Apr
Longnose Hawkfish (infection and possible attack by Hortulanus)
2 Peppermint Shrimp
Elegance

2 Stylophora.
Early May
2 Seriatopora (birds nest)
Red plating montipora
Freak Hair pavona
Pink Koji Wada Nepthea

Rock Flower Anemone
Red Tuxedo Urchin

Orange Ricordea. Mid May
Hortulanus Wrasse
Pink Goniopora (polyp bailout for unknown reason)
Emerald Crab

Rainbow Acan Late May

Falco Hawkfish Early June

Banded serpent star. Mid June

tempImageW6WCbI.png

Feeding
8am:
1 cube frozen brine shrimp
2 small Algea wafers
refill Algae clip (dried seaweed or grape caulerpa)
3 scoops live baby brine shrimp

20ml live phytoplankton
10ml AB+

1pm:
Flake food
2 Algae wafers
Refill clip
Spot feeding anemone and corals (2x week)
Live pods (every other week)

6pm:
1 cube frozen mysis shrimp
Micro-pellets

8pm:
Pinch of omnivore flakes
1 cube Frozen cyclops or baby brine shrimp
3 scoops live baby brine shrimp

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice. Down the road you may find the canister filter is more maintenance than you'd like (a HOB like a Seachem Tidal is a great upgrade).
Thanks
I don't clean it very often but it is a massive pain when I do. I do like that it seems to be a great breeding ground for amphipods. I have considered removing the mechanical filtration and replacing it with biological. Maybe I could use a HOB then for mechanical and chemical.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
I don't clean it very often but it is a massive pain when I do. I do like that it seems to be a great breeding ground for amphipods. I have considered removing the mechanical filtration andreplacing it with biological. Maybe I could use a HOB then for mechanical and chemical.
I can well imagine. A HOB for mechanical and chemical would probably work out really well.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planned additions:
A mated pair of biota blue mandarins (on the way!)
2x biota court jester goby (on the way!)

1-2 biota forktail blenny or midas blenny
Some species of basslet

flame hawkfish? (worried about the shrimp)
More RFA's maybe

Dream Additions:
Biota Hawaiian Cleaner wrasse (will those ever restock?)
LFS's self-cultured bright red goniopora ($$$ and difficult?)

Any thoughts on any of the above?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Diving into the hobby"... Nice pun!:D

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heartbreak today as my favorite fish, my Naoko succumbed to a neurological disease. It was a fish I really enjoyed as it seemed intelligent and inquisitive while it was healthy. Would swim up to me whenever I opened the tank and would happily eat from my hands. Really a brutal loss especially to such an awful disease. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/unknown-neurological-wrasse-disease-unwd.901856/
905A5DD0-E7D7-4E04-84AC-926B047F6B36.jpeg

On the other hand I got 4 fish from biota. A bonded pair of blue mandarins and 2 court jester gobies. I was expecting small fish but these are even smaller than I expected. I was hoping the bonded pair would be larger than had I bought the individuals but there about a cm in length and tiny. I do somewhat regret getting 2 more gobies when I already have a diamond and I have seen some light aggression from the diamond. I have several special foods that biota recommended for the mandarins but since the Naoko died my confidence has crashed.
tempImageegJc9B.png

41025F36-942C-405D-B50A-20A3D5440F74.jpeg

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4/23/22 Update:
Positive:
Added a midas blenny
Blastos and a Duncan coral
All new additions doing well
Blue mandarin pair and larger court jester goby all loo fat and happy

Negative:
Smaller court jester bullied by larger and diamond goby, given away to LFS's display tank

Overall I'm quite happy with the tank since my last update. All corals look bigger and with the one exception all fish do seem happy and healthy. The Midas blenny has been a great addition though it was out of color and underweight when I bought it. It's probably my most active fish especially at meal time.
I'm about to go away for work for a week but am thinking of getting a small Flame Hawkfish and either an elegance or goniopora when I return. Still debating on which basslet I should get.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish Review 1:

Ocellaris Clown(Snowflake and Domino)
(Amphiprion ocellaris)
4C560FE6-2794-4DAC-938E-2AEFEB8F3A5C_1_201_a.jpeg

Appearance:
Frostbite 9/10
Domino 5/10
The frostbite is still the most beautiful clownfish I've seen. The brilliant white with silver highlighting each black marking make it a stunning fish (photo doesn't do it justice).
The domino unfortunately loses points for the orange mouth which gives it an underbite bulldog appearance.

Personality and Aggression:
6/10
Active, inquisitive, brave also so far no aggression. They eat from the hand. Lose points for setting up shop behind the pump return and the female is occasionally aggressive.

Care:
10/10
Easy. Incredibly easy. They eat anything except things you don't want them to eat. Hardy and tough with no extra needs.

Overall:
+1 for captive bred
8.7/10

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish Review 2:

Benggai Cardinalfish
(Pterapogon kauderni)
84C1D793-C7A8-48DD-A969-E83BAA76D157.jpeg

Appearance:
8/10
Really a strange but also very pretty fish that tests your ability to name fins.

4/10
What personality? I think there's a reason why people recommend this fish to beginners and then never mention it again. Its pretty but it mostly just floats there. Gets most of its points for a lack of aggression though I could argue its the most aggressive thanks to the slow-mo chasing one male occasionally does to the other. It's the jellyfish of the tank, pulsing around but never doing much.

Care:
9/10
For a captive bred fish this is so far my only death. They were so shy when added to my tank and ran from the food as often as eating it and I gave them every type of food I could. Eventually one wasted away. It could be they were already sick/dying at the LFS though. After that difficult settling in period though they've been easy.

Overall:
+1 for captive bred
8.0/10

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invert Review 1:

Rock Flower Anemone
(Epicystis crucifer)
tempImageYBl9CN.png

Appearance:
10/10
Since I'm doing these generally and RFA's come in all colors its a fairly easy rating. They're called flowers for a reason. It can even fluoresces. Mine doesn't have much color but does have a great pattern and texture.

7/10
Hard to judge because it's really closer to a coral or plant than a creature with personality. But gets points for its fairly regular movements and more points for sticking to its corner and not killing anything.

Care:
10/10
Easy as can be. I don't know if it needs to be fed but it is fun so why not?

Overall:
9/10

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish Review 3:

Firefish
(Nemateleotris magnifica)
D148601B-8491-44FE-87F3-CE7DF7BFB231.jpeg

Appearance:
10/10
If it weren't so common cheap and easy I think this fish would be so much higher valued. It is absolutely stunning. How such a small fish can have so many patterns and colors while also not being too busy is phenomenol.

8/10
It's got some personality flitting lightly around the tank or hovering in the middle above its favorite hidey holes (really should be called a fairy fish for its beauty and personality). I hear they can beat up each other but mine are always together and placid as can be.

Care:
10/10
Easy as can be. Eat immediately and eat everything. Took to the tank immediately. I think it may be the best first fish for a beginner now.

Overall:
9.3/10

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish Review 4:

Foxfaces
(Siganus vulpinus & Siganus magnificus)
ABA33172-5E23-447E-979D-725D68E6CD4C.jpeg
1517B815-F74F-4854-AEBF-56B70130A180.jpeg

Appearance:
Lo - 6/10
Not the prettiest but still a pretty fish. though I like its chameleon ability to change colors it would be nice if it was a full yellow on the back rather than the too ripe banana it often is.
Magnificent - 9/10
Looks Swedish. The fish of Ikea! Very pretty especially with the red tips.

10/10
Really the perfect fish. Its got personality, is peaceful, and add to all of that it has the ability to change its color at a whim. Though I don't try to spook it, it is quite interesting to see it go all army camo patterned and try to blend into the rocks. Most of the time its scouring my tank in search of food often following my wrasse.

Care:
10/10
It loses points for needing extra herbivore food but gets all those points back by eating nuisance algae. Apart from needing some source of algae its a very easy fish. Eats well and unlike tangs not a common disease spreader (or so I've heard).

Overall:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish Review 5:

Melanurus Wrasse
(Halichoeres melanurus)
98DC6DAE-49A3-4FB5-817F-6A83522077CD.jpeg

Appearance:
7/10
Difficult one because it has a very bright and complex pattern but maybe too bright and complex. Certainly a pretty fish but not one I've ever been wowed by.

7/10
Again its hard to put my finger on as it is a very active fish and so far is not very aggressive but again its one I often forget about and I often worry it will be aggressive. It eats constantly and its no surprise its developed a bit of a potbelly.

Care:
7/10
Very easy for me as I overfeed and have breeding pods but for someone who is more busy this thing could be a handful. It needs to eat a little a lot so should be fed many times a day. Rumors that it will kill your inverts if not fed enough times a day abound. Also may outcompete other pod eating fish.

Overall:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish Review 6:

Diamond Goby
tempImagea98hre.png

Appearance:
6/10
Not my type of pretty but certainly still a pretty fish.

7/10
Gets full point for entertainment value as it is a hilarious and constantly active fish. However loses points for covering corals in sand and knocking over rocks. Also has been a bit of a bully towards my court jester goby and strangely my Midas blenny.

Care:
10/10
Difficult one because so far has been very easy as it eats everything but have heard they can die due to improper nutrition and that they should get most of their food from sand sifting? However gets points for keeping my sanded white and clean.

Overall:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invert Review 2:

Cleaner Shrimp (Skunk, Fire, Peppermint)
tempImagecztCdV.png

Appearance:
7/10 Skunk - Very smart though it won't completely blow you away.
10/10 Fire - Absolutely stunning with a deep dark red and crisp white
3/10 Peppermint - Nothing to write home about

10/10 Skunk - My favorite thing in the tank. Loves to hop on my hand and spends its days cleaning my pump inlet and trying to jump on fish to give them a clean.
6/10 Fire - Sits upside down below a rock, luckily at the front of my tank. Personality low but aggression none.
5/10 Peppermint - Gets 5 for being peaceful. Hardly see them though.

Care:
10/10
All get 10 for being easy and doing a job in the tank. The peppermint have not gone after aiptasia yet though.

Overall:
9.0 Skunk
8.7 Fire
6.0 Peppermint

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish Review 7:

Naoko Fairy Wrasse (written post mortem)
905A5DD0-E7D7-4E04-84AC-926B047F6B36.jpeg

Appearance:
8/10
When its fins are down it looks like a badly painted boat with peeling paint. But when its fins extend it is really quite pretty.

10/10
I loved this fish, it would come to the front of the tank whenever I came over and eat from the hand. Otherwise it would zoom through my rockscape and flash its fins before going on another zoom. No aggression while I had him.

Care:
6/10
What's the best I can give a fish that died of a neurological disease shortly after I got him. When healthy he was super easy to feed and would have gotten a 10 easy. But then to watch it slowly die as it lost its ability to swim was very difficult.
Edit: Got a second and its doing great!

Overall:

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back