Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! Grout is done.
IMG_1479506894.258281.jpg

It's starting to look like a fish room. Tomorrow... orders from the boss- clean the basement! Lol. Apparently, construction mess is not appreciated.

I plan on staging the room tomorrow night and start laying some plumbing. I think all of the tanks (sump, hospital, fuge) will be stacked on the left side of the room. The far wall will be a water change/mixing station and RO/DI filter.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, all that's left is molding on the floor and around the door. I'll try and get that done this weekend. At this point I'm all construction'ed out.

I moved what small amount of equipment I have into the fish room and here's the tally:
IMG_1479751937.074846.jpg

IMG_1479751946.344420.jpg

I also started constructing a stand for the sump, refugium and water change station.
I'll try and draw up a plan of what I'm doing here. Bear in mind, it's a work in progress and it still needs supports in a few spots but.... I ran out of screws! You can see the right side of the stand will house the 40b sump and external pump. On left, elevated just above he sump, is the refugium and above that, will be two 20 gallon tanks I will plumb in line and with a turn of a few valves be able to accomplish a 15% water.

IMG_1479752004.665804.jpg

So, some feed back would be much appreciated as I should be getting into full tank mode after the holidays. My big question is-
Which controller are you guys using. I looked at the new Vertex, Aquatronica, Reef Keep Elite, Profilux and the Apex. They all have their own pros and cons but I'm having a somewhat difficult time choosing.

Paul

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had the $$$ right now I would go Profilux. Just something about GHL that I find more attractive than Apex. The Vertex is attractive too, but for me those huge energy bars turn me off. I was reading a thread here where Profilux is in the workings of an alk monitor.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had the $$$ right now I would go Profilux. Just something about GHL that I find more attractive than Apex. The Vertex is attractive too, but for me those huge energy bars turn me off. I was reading a thread here where Profilux is in the workings of an alk monitor.

You know, I think I've narrowed it to either the Profilux or the Apex. But looking at GHL website and BRS, they look to be the same price, which makes it even more difficult.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked on the sump stand over the last 2 days and it came out alright! Will paint it today and take a trip to the hard ware store in search of some vinyl to lay on top! What do you think so far?

IMG_1480094588.253409.jpg

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. What's your plans on ATO?

Thanks! I'm planning a mixing station either underneath the sump or another corner of the room. Two 30 gallon water containers one with RO water, which will also act as my top off container.

Now that I have the stand constructed, I'm going to make a quick run and grab some vinyl to throw on the top and start planning the plumbing.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a smaller ATO reservoir in the small chance that if my ATO switch stuck on, it would only dump 10 gallons in. Something to consider.

IMG_1108.JPG

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along and very excited to see how it turns out! Looking great so far!

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Good call. Do you use anything to replenish that or occasionally top it off with a bucket?
I'm still in the market for a controller myself, but from what I've learned so far you could easily rig an ATO for your ATO :) two float switched and a solenoid. Top switch would the the solenoid to close (when the reservoir is full) and bottom switch would tell it to open (when it's empty). Like I said still doing research, but I'm positive the APEX could handle something like this.

As a side note if you go that route, it may be beneficial to get an RODI unit with and automatic flush feature. That way you're not pushing high TDS water through your DI resin and exhausting it faster than necessary!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Good call. Do you use anything to replenish that or occasionally top it off with a bucket?

I have a clear hose attached to my water mixing station that I just uncoil and fill it with when it gets low.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still in the market for a controller myself, but from what I've learned so far you could easily rig an ATO for your ATO :) two float switched and a solenoid. Top switch would the the solenoid to close (when the reservoir is full) and bottom switch would tell it to open (when it's empty). Like I said still doing research, but I'm positive the APEX could handle something like this.

As a side note if you go that route, it may be beneficial to get an RODI unit with and automatic flush feature. That way you're not pushing high TDS water through your DI resin and exhausting it faster than necessary!

I think ATO for ATO would be ideal. I travel quite a bit for work and the last thing the wife wants to do is fiddle with the tank. lol she's already expressed this. I already have the BRS value plus 4 stage RO/DI. I purchased it a few years ago and can't for the life of me remember it it has an automatic flush feature.

What controllers are you looking at? I swear every time I make a decision I find another reason why I should get the other. Currently between Profilux and APEX.

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think ATO for ATO would be ideal. I travel quite a bit for work and the last thing the wife wants to do is fiddle with the tank. lol she's already expressed this. I already have the BRS value plus 4 stage RO/DI. I purchased it a few years ago and can't for the life of me remember it it has an automatic flush feature.

What controllers are you looking at? I swear every time I make a decision I find another reason why I should get the other. Currently between Profilux and APEX.
Ha ha, sounds like we are in just about the same boat! I've pretty much decided on the RKL though. I know it has its share of bad reviews, but I would just be wasting my money on features I wouldn't use if I went with APEX or something similar (kind of like how I would never wase money on a controller, or on $300 lights, or on a saltwater tank to begin with! :)) The main reason I'm going with the RKL is to monitor the tank. The only things I'll be automating as of now are the return and skimmer. I'm more than doubling my ATO reservoir so this is all pretty much for over flow protection.

Oh, and I don't believe the BRS unit has and auto flush. You don't need it, as long as you remember to flush it every once in a while :)

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha, sounds like we are in just about the same boat! I've pretty much decided on the RKL though. I know it has its share of bad reviews, but I would just be wasting my money on features I wouldn't use if I went with APEX or something similar (kind of like how I would never wase money on a controller, or on $300 lights, or on a saltwater tank to begin with! :)) The main reason I'm going with the RKL is to monitor the tank. The only things I'll be automating as of now are the return and skimmer. I'm more than doubling my ATO reservoir so this is all pretty much for over flow protection.

Oh, and I don't believe the BRS unit has and auto flush. You don't need it, as long as you remember to flush it every once in a while :)

Yeaaaaa. You know what- I was actually quite content with the RKE but I'm gone so often it would be nice to get text notifications and heavy automation. We shall see, I'm giving myself until after the holidays to grab the toys.

About the BRS RO/DI. I wonder if they offer a unit with automatic flush feature and if so, would they be willing to sell and send the parts needed to upgrade. Better give them a call!

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. Painted the sump stand today and put the vinyl down on top. I have one more panel to paint and I'll get on that later today.

Painted stand

Here's the vinyl I used. Thanks @revhtree !
IMG_1480181126.902907.jpg

IMG_1480181137.153807.jpg

Applied some vinyl floor adhesive to the stand and there it is!
IMG_1480181179.966701.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back