OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny, I get "access denied" to any "lowes.com" I try. It's Trump I tell you, he's blocking me [emoji23]

Ha. Here's a picture of it
IMG_3068.JPG

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too like floating canopies but I can't a clue how I could turn this into a floating canopy and keep the wife happy. Our ceiling in this room is somewhat odd... take a look
Image1486409063.224411.jpg
If your tank is pushed tight against the wall you could screw into the studs almost like hanging a cabinet

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is pushed tight against the wall you could screw into the studs almost like hanging a cabinet

I've got about 5-6 inches from the wall. She did suggest a faux plank/beam wrapped in the same wood across the tank and hang the lights from there.

Something like this.
IMG_3077.JPG

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got about 5-6 inches from the wall. She did suggest a faux plank/beam wrapped in the same wood across the tank and hang the lights from there.

Something like this.
IMG_3077.JPG
That "wood" look really good!!! Haha definitely think it is worth going the extra miles to have a floating canopy and you would be glad you did it in the long run

naptalene

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a beam in the same finish as the stand not be a very strong vocal point that pulls your eye up from the tank? What about just dropping rigging wires from the ceiling ( industrial look) or mounts sticking out the back wall like floating shelves?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like ur idea of the wood across I think that will look amazing.
I'm floating mine from the wall behind it with iron drilled into 2x6 so it will look like a lader from the top

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That "wood" look really good!!! Haha definitely think it is worth going the extra miles to have a floating canopy and you would be glad you did it in the long run
Ha! Well played! I'm not so sure a floating canopy is going to work for us. The current canopy is rather heavy and I think I'd need to really beef things up to hold it up. Not something I'm willing to do right now.

That stand is beautiful. Nice rock work as well.
Thank you!

I see seeing the top braces on the tank going to bother you if you go with a floating canopy?
I'm not really bothered by the top brace. I'd prefer it out of site but I don't think I care if you can see it.

Would a beam in the same finish as the stand not be a very strong vocal point that pulls your eye up from the tank? What about just dropping rigging wires from the ceiling ( industrial look) or mounts sticking out the back wall like floating shelves?
See, I thought so too. But the more I talk to the spouse about it, the more I'm starting to think that would be the best way to go about it. We thought about having rigging wires come down but the ceiling is REALLY high in the spot. That and I have two 32" photon v2s, which would need 4 rigging wires. I'm not against two but I think four is a bit too industrial. Plus, I have to keep the boss happy if this is going to be an ongoing investment of time, money and interest :)

I like ur idea of the wood across I think that will look amazing.
I'm floating mine from the wall behind it with iron drilled into 2x6 so it will look like a lader from the top
Very cool, could you post a picture?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My canopy is away being painted right now but I can draw u up what I mean

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0631.JPG
So it would look like this and below is the hardware I'd be using that I have took off the line
IMG_0629.JPG
IMG_0633.JPG
IMG_0632.JPG

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0631.JPG
So it would look like this and below is the hardware I'd be using that I have took off the line
IMG_0629.JPG
IMG_0633.JPG
IMG_0632.JPG
Aw man that is cool! I wish I had the structure for that! I wonder if I could use that hardware right from the wall!? Throw the pipes out of the wall and hang the lights from there.
What we're looking at is a faux 4x4 wooden beam that would run the 10-12' span and hang the light from there.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 80 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back