OP
OP
reefin_with_the_fam

reefin_with_the_fam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was the hardest day I’ve had so far in this hobby. I thought for sure my tank was going to be toast. I had a bulk head just started leaking out of no where and I’m just lucky I caught it. I freaked out and started to try and remove the bulkhead but for whatever reason it froze up and couldn’t remove it. I had to call my LFS on an emergency call who luckily was able to change it out for me and install it. All I kept thinking of is the time, money and effort I have spent putting into this tank and my awesome crew of fish I have and how bad I’d feel if I had to rehome or lose them. My wife was horrified as well. Definitely investing into an Apex because if it hadn’t been Saturday(my maintenance day) I wouldn’t have caught the leak otherwise.

Funny story during it all. About a month ago I added a little yellow watchman goby to my tank and I haven’t seen him since. Well today as I’m draining the overflow there he is. Couldn’t get the poor guy out of the drained overflow and he was out of water for quite some time. I wrote him off as a goner and casualty of today’s horrific events. Well as the guy from my LFS was rinsing the overflow he caught him and he was still alive! Dropped him in the main display and now I know where his little burrow is

516933DE-C39A-4775-91ED-93DE9662643D.jpeg

Here’s a current FTS with all the unknowing inhabitants of today’s horror show
E5FC4FA1-8327-4D6A-9A08-329050265AF2.jpeg
D169822F-65A7-4A49-B53E-E8B8D4B4B8C2.jpeg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

Sorry, just now finding this build. looks great. I like the rock work. Stand came out great.

Sorry about the leak. Keep in mind you will only loose as much water as is in your bulkhead and above the teeth in the weir in the tank itself. You will not loose the whole tank.

I’m the king of leaky bulkheads ;) .I have been messing with plumbing lately. If I find it leaking, I shut down the pumps, let the tank back siphon into the sump (you should always have enough room in the sump to handle the back siphon of the tank in a power failure situation) and try to catch the remaining water in the leaky baffle in a bucket. Once it is drained you can remove, clean and reseat the bulkhead.

OP
OP
reefin_with_the_fam

reefin_with_the_fam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

Sorry, just now finding this build. looks great. I like the rock work. Stand came out great.

Sorry about the leak. Keep in mind you will only loose as much water as is in your bulkhead and above the teeth in the weir in the tank itself. You will not loose the whole tank.

I’m the king of leaky bulkheads ;) .I have been messing with plumbing lately. If I find it leaking, I shut down the pumps, let the tank back siphon into the sump (you should always have enough room in the sump to handle the back siphon of the tank in a power failure situation) and try to catch the remaining water in the leaky baffle in a bucket. Once it is drained you can remove, clean and reseat the bulkhead.
I didn’t even think of that! That would have helped (maybe ) in the heat of everything. This was my first ever major tank emergency like that so I definitely was freaking out. Luckily my wife is much more level headed and gave the suggestion of calling my LFS to see if they could fix it. The darn bulkhead wasn’t loosening and I couldn’t get it off. The guy had to saw it off in the tightest of spaces.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back