My 210 gal Jump in with both feet build

Anthonyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have started the adventure of my 210 gal reef and decided to put the tank in a wall.. Wife was a little reluctant to letting me build a "tank room" but turned out there is plenty of room in my bedroom for this to happen.
20180623_185112.jpg

Started to build a stand to fit the giant tank. Almost starting to think the tank is too big at this point. But I keep pushing forward

20180702_185054.jpg

I have decided Im not going to build a fish tank room ever again. I hate doing renovations.. So guess this means the wife is stuck living in the house we are im.. lol

Last edited:

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookin Sweet ! Could You give us a closeup of the stand? I'd like to see how You did the corners. You may hate the remodel work but looks great so far.

OP
OP
Anthonyl

Anthonyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I was in the middle of the renovation for the tank room, I was also trying to solve my problem I had with the used tank I was going to be putting in the nice sized opening.

I guess the guy before me had a leak in one of the bulk heads. Instead of getting a new bulkhead he decided to seal the holes off as to not use them.. After many hours of thinking and trying to research how to remove this 1/2" glass plate. The only thing I could think of was bust it out. Now to bust out a piece of glass that was almost 100% silicone to the aquarium was no easy task. It took a lot of time and a lot of pain staking playing with razor blades to slowly separate the cover plate.

I would have to say it probably took me 6hr of screwing around getting this stupid cover off. I suggest to never purchase a tank if someone has covered over the drilled holes....But as you can see I removed it successfully without breaking the bottom of the tank. (raise the roof)

I decided with this build due to one side of the tank is going to be visible, that I ripped out one overflow box and with the one bulk head in the right side of the tank Im going to leave it just bare pipe for the one return into tank. Might cover it with rock but we will see. I finally got the tank moved outside and did a initial fill to make sure there was no leaks.. Passed with flying colors so happy..

I was so happy, no leaks the bulkheads were sealed nicely. Then it was time to put the tank into position in the new tank room... I made the fit so tight (1/4") top that I could not lift the tank so that the bulkheads could fit in the allotted holes in the stand. I was forced to remove the bulkheads... but Im so happy with the results, I think its going to look so good it made me excited. So excited that I needed to start posting my build, because my wife does not share my excitement...

20180702_180943.jpg

20180713_213744.jpg

20180722_130940.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Anthonyl

Anthonyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookin Sweet ! Could You give us a closeup of the stand? I'd like to see how You did the corners. You may hate the remodel work but looks great so far.

I used 3 2x4s per corner. the inner board is used just to hold up the top as I built the stand and the other 2 are to support the weight.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome so far! The tank is in the master bedroom? Following your progress here, we definitely share your excitement!

OP
OP
Anthonyl

Anthonyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome so far! The tank is in the master bedroom? Following your progress here, we definitely share your excitement!

My house is rather large and there is 2 family rooms in the basement, so my wife and I decided to turn one family room into the master bedroom. There are still some small renos to do to actually make it a master room. But that's after the tank is setup and running.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house is rather large and there is 2 family rooms in the basement, so my wife and I decided to turn one family room into the master bedroom. There are still some small renos to do to actually make it a master room. But that's after the tank is setup and running.

That sounds awesome! Plan for avoiding potential water on floor issues and also quiet equipment. Avoiding water on the floor (salt or rodi) and having almost silent pumps would be my 2 keys if I were to have a tank in or near my bedroom.

Can't wait to see the progress! Looks really nice so far! Fishrooms are the best!

OP
OP
Anthonyl

Anthonyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds awesome! Plan for avoiding potential water on floor issues and also quiet equipment. Avoiding water on the floor (salt or rodi) and having almost silent pumps would be my 2 keys if I were to have a tank in or near my bedroom.

Can't wait to see the progress! Looks really nice so far! Fishrooms are the best!

My goal is to have everything plumbed so that I dont need to actually touch water at all unless I have to change out equipment. For water changes I want the return plumbing to T off the manifold and run to the drain. Might not be as easy as that but it's my plan.

OP
OP
Anthonyl

Anthonyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like some opinions tho. Right now I'm planning 2- 1" returns and 1- 1 1/2" overflow. Should I use 1 return as an emergency overflow or would the 1.5" be big enough?

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i love it when the tank becomes literally a part of the house! its honestly one of my favorite types of builds and im really excited for following along

OP
OP
Anthonyl

Anthonyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally have the sump built and into place. Now onto plumbing. I got my first order of goodies, once I get my sink into place I can put up the rodi filters..

I also have to hang my MH/T5 combo, I think 10" off the surface should be good. Hopefully I dont have to go any higher.

20180826_151327.jpg

20180826_151341.jpg

OP
OP
Anthonyl

Anthonyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally putting the long weekend to good use. Light is hung, have the sink and counter/cupboard into place. Have the ballasts mounted. So happy with how it's coming along.

20180902_142517.jpg

20180902_142523.jpg

20180902_142526.jpg

OP
OP
Anthonyl

Anthonyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this thing is taking forever to get built. Young kids get in the way so much and reduce the buget for the reef.

Anyways, i have finally been able to get my hands on some rock and started setting up my aquascape. Let me know what you think or if there is maybe something i need/should change.

Im still in the process of getting the arch waterwelded thats why its not in the tank yet

20180929_151526.jpg

20180929_151532.jpg

OP
OP
Anthonyl

Anthonyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so I'm a little behind with posting. After getting the rock structures the way I want them. It took me a bit to start getting sand into the tank. Try to reach the bottom of a 24" tank sucks. Couldn't get the sand where I wanted so i had to use a stick to move it around. After running out of sand it was a few more trips to the lfs to get more.

20181118_110441.jpg

20181118_120254.jpg

20181118_161130.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back