OP
OP
Upstartreefer

Upstartreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally!!! After this tank has been up and running for 14 months my sps are showing growth. [emoji106][emoji3]

I just wanted to share with anyone that is starting with dead rock and sand. You have to be patient! I know there are reefkeepers that started a tank the same way and had success in a lot shorter time frame ( I am not an expert) I lost 4 test corals and any loss is not good.

Now that things are on a upswing I will be updating my build more frequently.

Happy Reefing
20190703_134242.jpeg
20190703_134219.jpeg
20190703_131855.jpeg
20190703_131947.jpeg
20190703_131917.jpeg

Johnseye

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Miracles does great work.

It's good that you used black silicone on the eurobracing. I asked for clear silicone on everything. Derek informed me they used black silicone on everything. Their mistake Derrick said. I asked them to redo the eurobrace with clear because I wanted the tank to disappear as much as possible. Now 3 years later the black silicone is doing very well. The silicone around the eurobracing has dissolved in some areas. It's very strange. Not a huge deal because I can easily fill it back in, but still concerning. Derrick says it's aesthetic and not structural. The sapphire is very soft. Be careful when cleaning, it scratches easily. I have it on the sides and front. Other than that I've been very happy.

Did you buy the stand from him as well?

OP
OP
Upstartreefer

Upstartreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good that you used black silicone on the eurobracing. I asked for clear silicone on everything. Derek informed me they used black silicone on everything. Their mistake Derrick said. I asked them to redo the eurobrace with clear because I wanted the tank to disappear as much as possible. Now 3 years later the black silicone is doing very well. The silicone around the eurobracing has dissolved in some areas. It's very strange. Not a huge deal because I can easily fill it back in, but still concerning. Derrick says it's aesthetic and not structural. The sapphire is very soft. Be careful when cleaning, it scratches easily. I have it on the sides and front. Other than that I've been very happy.

Did you buy the stand from him as well?
Yes. Derek made the stand and the sump. I wanted to get the full warranty on the tank.

To tell you the truth the only reason I went with euro brace is for my return lines and closed loop. With 3/4" glass it didn't have to have a brace. Mine as only been up and running for 15 months but everything is great with the tank.

GQuinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice set-up. Are you still using the Bashsea skimmer? I might have missed it, but what pump are you using with it?

OP
OP
Upstartreefer

Upstartreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice set-up. Are you still using the Bashsea skimmer? I might have missed it, but what pump are you using with it?
Thank you. No I am not using the skimmer anymore. It was a beast of a skimmer but some dumb butt (me)dropped it while doing 6 month maintenance on it a shattered the bottom. I used a joebo 15000. Over kill but I could adjust it.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good build man. everything looks awesome. Can't wait to see thing filled.

OP
OP
Upstartreefer

Upstartreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates here??? :)
I wish. This has been the build from hell. I just cant get it stable. lost most of my sps RTN. Right now I have a big turf algae problem that I am starting to win. I have been slowly removing the sand over the last 4 months so I can up my flow.

OP
OP
Upstartreefer

Upstartreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got mine ordered. Are you still happy with the tank? (I'm the floor guy) Hope the family and the tank have enjoyed the new home!
More than happy with the tank. just trying to get things right. We love our new home. Thanks

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back