My 40 gallon recife build

I started with live rock but I think that was an old piece of live rock ( no longer alive) from when I tore down my tank 10 years prior.
Gotcha, that's what I plan to use too. I had some extra laying around.
 
I really want to have a gsp back wall. Do you just start by gluing a piece up there on rock?
I glued it directly to the back wall, if you are going to do it try to do it a little below the middle of the tank since it grows towards the light
 
I glued it directly to the back wall, if you are going to do it try to do it a little below the middle of the tank since it grows towards the light
Oh wow I am so glad you said that lol. I was definitely not considering that!
 
Oh wow I am so glad you said that lol. I was definitely not considering that!
I have a very small patch of it that when it gets a bit bigger I'm going to attach to the back wall I hope to get it to spread all along the back.
 
I have a very small patch of it that when it gets a bit bigger I'm going to attach to the back wall I hope to get it to spread all along the back.
That would look so epic in that big tank. What an awesome custom look you'd have.
 
So I realize I've just been adding to, and updating my tank without updating my build thread! I've changed a lot since these last few pictures. Piece by piece and pic by pic, I'll try to fill in some of the gaps in my reefing journey. You guys have all stuck by me and helped so much. Feel free to read some of the early stuff and look at the baby pictures. I'll be bringing you all up to speed in the coming days.
 
You get that vca all set up? I used this and stuck the male end of a 1/2 threaded locline through the bulkhead hole. Used 5/8 vinyl tubing and zip ties to attach.
1000006915.jpg
1000006912.jpg
 
What lights do you all prefer? The stock light I have seems really nice but I was told it wasn't so great. I definitely have some more research to do there. LFS recommend the AI prime blade for this 40 gallon cube. I'll be growing a few soft corals and LPS. No sps at this point in my experience. Thoughts?
Good evening. I have the same tank. I bought it at Just Fish in Biloxi. 40 lbs of rock, (dead), and Two bags of live sand. Now going on 7 months old. I have put a roller filter in the first chamber overflow. Skimmer in second, which works fantastic, and heater and probes in the third. The main pump I changed to an AI 40and dialed the speed back so I have an overflow going into the first chamber that is fairly nice. That is using the included clear filter weir that came with the tank. No filter baskets, k7 pro3 light. A few LPS corals and Zoas. They seem to be doing OK.
 
Good evening. I have the same tank. I bought it at Just Fish in Biloxi. 40 lbs of rock, (dead), and Two bags of live sand. Now going on 7 months old. I have put a roller filter in the first chamber overflow. Skimmer in second, which works fantastic, and heater and probes in the third. The main pump I changed to an AI 40and dialed the speed back so I have an overflow going into the first chamber that is fairly nice. That is using the included clear filter weir that came with the tank. No filter baskets, k7 pro3 light. A few LPS corals and Zoas. They seem to be doing OK.
Awesome thank you for dropping by. I've been shopping with Roger and Gerwin since I was a teenager. Thanks for dropping by my thread!

I honestly never thought of dialing the flow down. That's brilliant, it would probably drop off the top better that way, and clear the surface film. I actually just purchased the AI40 yet, but haven't set it up. I use small cut pieces of pura pad in chamber one. I have my heater in chamber two, and bio balls and crushed live rock in the third chamber. I ditched the boxes like you did. I think your setup sounds great, and I'm very glad to hear that you're having success.
If you don't mind, I have a couple questions for you. Which roller do you use that fits in the 1st chamber? Did the standard tubing that came with the tank, fit the AI40 pump? Thanks for your help.
 
You get that vca all set up? I used this and stuck the male end of a 1/2 threaded locline through the bulkhead hole. Used 5/8 vinyl tubing and zip ties to attach.
1000006915.jpg
1000006912.jpg
I did buy the vca and I love it! I will say that I like the setup you have going there a lot. I just popped mine on where the former nozzle was, but it could use some extension.
 
Awesome thank you for dropping by. I've been shopping with Roger and Gerwin since I was a teenager. Thanks for dropping by my thread!

I honestly never thought of dialing the flow down. That's brilliant, it would probably drop off the top better that way, and clear the surface film. I actually just purchased the AI40 yet, but haven't set it up. I use small cut pieces of pura pad in chamber one. I have my heater in chamber two, and bio balls and crushed live rock in the third chamber. I ditched the boxes like you did. I think your setup sounds great, and I'm very glad to hear that you're having success.
If you don't mind, I have a couple questions for you. Which roller do you use that fits in the 1st chamber? Did the standard tubing that came with the tank, fit the AI40 pump? Thanks for your help.
I’ll look back to get you the exact model number. When I ordered it it took one month to arrive. No the AI 40 comes with two or three barbed adapters. I had to purchase a nozzle that had a barbed fitting. I’ll take a few pictures this evening and send them to you. Bruce. BTW I live in Ocean Springs.
 
So here's a quick catch up. It's been almost 6 months since I started this, and I have to say, I never thought in my wildest dreams that I'd have this much fun and meet such an amazing group of people.

I have learned so much from you all. I've spoken with fellow reefers that were just starting out and I've been given information by what I would consider the standard setters in our hobby. (You know who you are VR). With that being said, here's where I am now.

I took the long sponge out of chamber one and placed a filter floss tray that holds a 3x3 square or pura pad. I change that every 3 days or so, it's very frequent. I took out the media boxes provided with the tank and added biomedia and broken pieces of live rock. The last chamber holds the pump and a mesh bag of GAC.

For the light I went with the evil empire and was gifted a Radion xr15. I understand there are cheaper and probably more effective lights out there, but I'll say that this light grows corals and they look dang good in the process. If I had to start over, I'd most likely go with the Noopsyche k7 pro3 @bruceosterberg. I'd love to see a pic of yours!

The aquascape changed a bit because I had a yellow damsel that hated everything lol. He ate hermits. (For real), he knocked over and buried coral frags. This guy fought everything in my tank. I bought a beautiful rainbow pectinia and he had just about killed it when I walked in the room and saw it. I decided to strip the rocks down and just get this pest out. It didn't go back perfectly, but it was close and I liked it.

The corals I have are mainly lps. The color and movement is unmatched in my opinion. I bought some zoas and some hammers. I'd grab a cool coral when I saw it, but I always did my research. I respect these as living animals and will treat them as such. Here's a few pictures of the journey, so far.

Here's the setup with the new light.
Screenshot_20241029_134144_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20241029_134153_Gallery.jpg
 
I’ll look back to get you the exact model number. When I ordered it it took one month to arrive. No the AI 40 comes with two or three barbed adapters. I had to purchase a nozzle that had a barbed fitting. I’ll take a few pictures this evening and send them to you. Bruce. BTW I live in Ocean Springs.
Fantastic thank you for your help! OS is a fantastic town, and I've had a lot of fun and caught a lot of beautiful fish there. I live in Gulfport over by Bayou Bernard.
 
I decided to build a zoa garden for some quick color. The hammers were placed on the arch together and i started adding more corals. I'll leave out a bit of the tank drama, just imagine it all had to do with a yellow damsel.. here is the tank as it developed and as the corals grew. Right now my filtration is pura pads and live rock. I do 2 monthly 25% water changes and barely have enough glass algae to scrape it. So far so good.

I know there's not much rhyme or reason with the zoas, but i like that aspect of it. I just tried to gather a few different colors and varying heights. I may take more of a collector's approach to zoas in the future.
Screenshot_20241021_084054_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20241023_210139_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20241024_023056_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20241027_010347_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20241027_082953_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20241029_173702_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20241029_173822_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20241029_175121_Gallery.jpg
20241029_180619.jpg
 
You can see the original mushroom and caulastrea corals that I bought first. And the small long polyp hammer that I started with decided to become something pretty amazing.
Screenshot_20241029_173644_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20241029_173934_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20241029_173653_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20241029_134402_Gallery.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new