OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Curryb15, how's the reef doing? Any updates?
Hey! The reef is in cruise control. Work has been so busy lately that I haven’t had much time to work on it. I’m seeing good growth rate with most corals ever since I installed my co2 scrubber. On the things to do is purchase a alk monitor to help stabilize my alk. I was thinking about the alkatronic but am still undecided. My ATS from Clearwater gets cleaned every 2 weeks or so and produces nice healthy green alage that I feed to my tang and fox face and they love it.

It all hasn’t been good. Something is ticking off some of my lps and zoas. My alk hovers around 7.5 calc is 400 mag 1285, nitrates 20 ppm and phosphate.08. Some of my lps is shriveled and closed but other lps is happy and healthy so I’ve been kind of stumped. This has been going on for a few months now and I haven’t actually lost anything but I fear I’m close. One thing is I did a triton test about a month ago and it said my CU levels where extremely high. So I’m thinking about finally pulling the trigger and getting some metal absorbing media to see if that helps.

I will get some pics up tomorrow!

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you chaeto reactor work? I assume not like you wanted it to so you went with the ATS?
Hey sorry for the delayed response. The chaeto reactors did not go as planned. All it did was grow green hair algae and it blocked the light from the chaeto. This got me thinking that I should try the ATS and it worked much better. It’s the smallest version so it doesn’t strip my water of all nutrients but I havnt seeen a spec of algae in my DT for about 3 months now if not slightly longer

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow it has been a long time since I updated, as we all know to well that life can get in the way and next thing you know months have passed.

My 50 gal sca mixed reef is pretty much on cruise control. Pretty much every coral was bought from @usernam invalid and they never disappoint. I have a mixed reef that is slowly starting to become a mostly LPS tank. My frogspawn, hammers, torches are all getting big and starting to sting and kill the few non las that I have. I try moving corals around but ultimately fail. I don't really mind though because my wife like the corals that move.
Heading forward:
I found myself thinking long and hard about the future of this tank, we are planning to have kids soon and I wasn't sure if I would want to continue to keep the tank up. I quickly realized how attached I really am on to this tank and it really is amazing the amount of life you can find. I do think there will be changes to the set up to make it baby proof but I will not be taking it down. Am am still trying to make a decision on how I want to monitor alk. I really like the alkatronic as it not only monitors but doses as well. Thats really the only challenge, Im not home enough to test everyday and my alk will swing from 5.0 then back up to 9.0 once I dose.

Past Issues:
I have a really bad habit of rushing through things. So this has led to a few mishaps the most recent was when I did not tighten my ATS and had about 5 gallons of water leak out and seep Into and under my laminate floors. They weren't destroyed but they are deff damaged. The wife was not happy about this but im trying to be more careful now.

Death:
**Knock on wood** I have not had any unkown deaths. I came home from vacation and found my wrasse stuck in the gap of my ration RMS mount. It had looked like he had been there for a few days. He was a awesome fish and Im not sure if im going to replace him. All other residents are alive and well

I do have pictures to share with you all but my sd card is at home and I am at work, I will share them with you later! Thanks for reading!

usernam invalid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great brother

Hope all is well and talk soon I have some holiday gifts next time your bye [emoji6]

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FINAL UPDATE!

hello all , it pains me to write this update. This build was my 3 rd ever reef tank, and by far the most successful. Over the years I have learned so so much from trial and error and from the wonderful people and friends I have made here. Due to life getting in the way and work that has to be done to my condo I have made the decision to shut down the cube. The placement of the tank and size was preventing us from doing the work that has to be done in preparation for a baby ( no she is not pregnant yet hahah, we are just planning a head).

The cube was cruising along and was doing well. When I stayed on top of my alk levels I saw excellent coral growth and my fish where all fat and happy. My last fish loss was early October due to a jumper but knock on wood I had a very healthy system.

But it all dosnt have to be sad! I was really upset about breaking down this tank as I use this hobby to help with my anxiety and depression. My amazing suggested why not just down grade, at which point I started planning a new build. So no I am not leaving the hobby just simply downsized to a IM drop off tank! Thank you all for sticking with me through this journey and I hope I can talk to you all in my new build thread here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/aio-drop-off-from-innovative-marine.533909/

I wish all of you a happy new year ! ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back