My 50g AIO aquascape attempts

MaD_ReefeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This part of the journey has been the bane of my existence. I got into a 50g because I was so frustrated with attempting the aquascaping on a 20g AIO that I upgraded thinking it would be easier... Imagine that lol

So, onto the rock circus. This is my first attempt so far, wanted to do a few and see what the consensus was but I'm afraid to take it apart and not remembered how to do it again lol. So, on with our first contestant!

I took a pic with and without that caribsea shape in the back, it looked kinda naked in the middle but I think that piece is a bit too much. The smaller flat "Island" I just threw in there as well since I had the space, b and maybe make a nice spot for a zoa garden? The outside of the tape is the inside of the tank dimensions. Don't mind the hammer lol it's holding that section from falling over, I have flat pieces I will glue to the bottom of each so they don't topple over.

PXL_20220606_221209433.jpg PXL_20220606_221151555.jpg PXL_20220606_221139766.jpg

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it looks good. The idea of the island piece is good, would definitely recommend leaving that there for any corals that needs to be away from other corals like you mentioned zoas. Could also be good for torches, galaxea, etc. I would even go to the point of maybe adding way smaller island in the far right front corner and shifting the bigger island towards the middle for more options in the future.

Personally I would definitely leave the shape piece in the back, not only does it fill the space but it also includes more structure and room for fish to hide and create their safe spaces. With such a minimalist aquascape, that is key especially if you plan on getting fish that like to hide in caves and dig burrows. Just make sure you cater to both your coral and fish needs as well as what you like visually.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#2 better. When you actually place in your tank tough, I would place it closer to the back wall so the back right tip touches it and add a small rock (maybe like 4") in the front left part of the sand for the ourposes of islanding a cool coral that you want to keep contained.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second attempt look good, more depth and different ledges for different coral placement and different caves for fish. The only thing I would add is a small island in front of you want any corals that needs to be isolated. Other than that really good

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the second one a lot! Just make sure that a glass cleaner/scraper can sweep by the rocks when cleaning your glass

Cool Ethan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely #2! I would also look at adding a little extra height to the left side to breakup the flat top layer

Cool Ethan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! Couple of spots up front for a few coral islands for anything you want separate too

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you aren't a fan of the purple epoxy sticking out, you can finely crush up some extra rock, spread it over the epoxy joints, drip some liquid thin super glue over the top and then toss more dust over it.

Joints look like this when done. You can barely tell where the joints are.

Attachments

• 20220612_091851.jpg
    20220612_091851.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 38

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back