My 55 Gallon Mixed Reef Build

Agsellers04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 55 gallon build that I started back in February 2020. I think I am doing pretty well. Sorry for the three pics sewn together...

Tank Information

• Age of aquarium – 9 months
  • Type of aquarium – Mixed Reef
  • Actual volume of water in aquarium system – 50 gallons
  • Number of Fish/Inches of fish – 11/30 inches = One inch per 1 2/3 gallons
  • Number of Corals – 95
  • Number of Inverts – probably 100 or more not counting pods.

• Equipment
  • Lighting – 2x Mars Aqua 165W LED on left and right, 1 full spectrum Luxbird floodlight and one actinic Luxbird floodlight in center.
  • Main Filtration – Marineland CF 100 Canister filter
  • Media – 2x polishing filters, 1 large bioball, 1 small ceramic bio ball, 1 course plastic filter, and two Clearmax media bags.
  • Powerheads – 1 800GPH on front right pointing toward rear left, 1 1056 GPH on left-center pointing 20 degrees to forward right on 5 second alternating pulse with 480 GPH on rear left pointing to forward left, and one 1600 GPH mini-size 360 degree pump on 1 second pulse. TOTAL FLOW = 2,300GPH = 50X volume of tank cycled per hour.
  • Cylinder hang on back reactor with carbon and phosphate reducer.
  • Copepod refugium hang on back with Chaeto and Pod breeding bottle.
  • Hang on back cylinder scrubber.
  • In – tank 25g (undersized) Green Machine UV filter
  • 200W Aqueon in – tank heater.
  • Digital Thermometer
  • Ammonia Indicator
  • 2x Digital Thermometers on each side of tank
Left.jpg
mid.jpg
right.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive. At nine months set up, you have a very large bioload. No wonder you had accumulated so many insulated shipping boxes to give away.

OP
OP
Agsellers04

Agsellers04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an update on my 55 gallon. I added a sump to the system which boosted it considerably. Everyone is doing great and the corals are growing well. She had her one year anniversary last month and I am very pleased with my efforts.

IMG_6955.JPG

IMG_6956.JPG
IMG_6957.JPG
IMG_6958.JPG
IMG_6959.JPG

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you list your fish by chance? I’m starting a 55g and would love some ideas!

OP
OP
Agsellers04

Agsellers04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 55 and i have a temporary hippo blue tang, a coral beauty, a longnose hawkfish, a gladiator clown, and a mandarin goby
I have a Coral Beauty Angel, a Scopas Tank, a pair of Mocha Clownfish, a Yellow Watchmen Goby paired with a Tiger Pistol Shrimp, four Pajama Cardinals, an Orchid Dottyback, Lawnmower Blenny, and a Scooter Blenny.

My tank seems overstocked but everyone has a purpose. Thats also why I installed the sump after the canister filter because the bioload is huge but the sump taked care of it well. That and I try to feed high quality variety of frozen foods so nothing is left on the table to decompose.
It took a year of trial and error as a beginner and the loss of many fish and corals along the way but it seems to have stabilized well.

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep reading the coral beauty is recommended for a 70 or larger. Would I need to rehome him when he gets bigger? I really want him but I’m scared off by the recommended tank size

OP
OP
Agsellers04

Agsellers04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep reading the coral beauty is recommended for a 70 or larger. Would I need to rehome him when he gets bigger? I really want him but I’m scared off by the recommended tank size
I have had mine since I set the tank up and he has done fine. They are a dwarf angel and don't get that big. He has only grown maybe a half an inch in the year I have had him. Even the Scopas Tang is happy and I have had him in there for about 7-8 months as well.

OP
OP
Agsellers04

Agsellers04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an update to my 55-gallon reef build. Everyone is doing fine since the last update. No fish deaths or major coral losses.

Haven't changed much. No sense changing what works am I right?
2Aquaria091621.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 45 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.5%
Back