My 55 Gallon Reef Build

Jae1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my new 55 gallon that I hope to get up and running over the next few weeks. The stand and canopy are from my first 55 I had several years ago. My dad built it for us for Christmas one year.

The tank is an Aqueous tank I picked up at Petco during their $1 a gallon sale. At the time I was planning on just using my canister filter I had left over. So I wasn’t concerned with drilling it. Then after reading around on here for a bit I decided to go with a diy sump (20g long from Petco). Now, since I can’t drill my tank, I’m going to go with a CPR or similar overflow.

So far I have:
Tank and stand
20g sump (still needs built)
2 165w CBB lights ($51 each on an amazon lightening deal)
Canister filter
40lbs dry rock

Need to get:
CPR or similar overflow
Return pump – looking at a Jeboa DCT-4000
A couple wavemakers
Heaters
Heater controller (my last tank my heater stuck on and killed the tank)
ATO

Next step is to wire up new receptacles (gfci) on their own 20 amp breaker. I know the existing receptacle where the tank will be will not have enough room on it for everything.

Any comments and suggestions would be much appreciated. This will be my first time with a reef tank.
11651F2A-4940-4202-A4A2-34DC1DD20C2C.jpeg

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is going to look nice! Sorry to hear about your heater malfunctioning. I just went with the inkbird 308 it works for me. Some people like it, some people dont.

OP
OP
J

Jae1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is going to look nice! Sorry to hear about your heater malfunctioning. I just went with the inkbird 308 it works for me. Some people like it, some people dont.

I’ve been looking at the inkbird. I wish I had held on to my Ranco controller from my home brewing days.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is going to look really nice and thanks for sharing the pictures and write up with us

And welcome to R2R as well!

RC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey do you have any pic of your tank I’m starting a 55 as well and wanted to know how those light were.

Back