My 5g half moon nano.

Fish_Boy_Wonder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I’d share the nano I did for my wife’s office.
It’s a modest 5 gallon half moon tank that was originally a reptile/insect tank that was made to hold water for a bioactive eco system. Anyways, I cut the plastic “screen” and replaced it with acrylic, I placed a penplex 300 filter with the long flow spreader attached and cut half the sponge off and placed I think it’s ceramic media in the filter from my 14g tank to help boost the bacteria, it has a 50w heater in it that’s set @ 76*f.
The live rock and sand I got from my fish and coral guy, I traded a RapidLED array I had laying around for.
I cycled the tank for 3months, and seeded the tank with copipods and bacteria in a bottle... don’t remember what kind, probably seachem.

As far as livestock goes, I did a trade with my guy for some Xenia and anthelia, I put a couple frags I took off my pulsing Xenia and tree coral in there, there’s a pair of green banded gobies living in there, a baby clam, a nasasserus snail, and a bubble shell snail, as well as plenty of brittle stars from the rock.

I think in the end it only cost me about $40 to set this tank up and I love it.

Soooooo question, what if anything could I do to make this better? All criticism and suggestions welcome.

Hard to get good shots of this tank because of ther curve.
9248E0E4-F0CE-4CEB-8A92-A161A127682E.jpeg

OP
OP
Fish_Boy_Wonder

Fish_Boy_Wonder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The wife loves the fish. Contemplating putting my mini maxi nem in there but not sure yet.

OP
OP
Fish_Boy_Wonder

Fish_Boy_Wonder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhh so the corals are as follows:
Two frags of silvertip pulsing Xenia, unknown frag of pulsing Xenia (reddish), palm palm Xenia, two frags of red Kenya tree, green and orange anthelia, orange tipped anthelia, waving hand anthelia, and a green zoa of some flavor. I also have a purple sponge frag of some flavor.

I would like to add blue clove polyps to cover the gaps, but unsure if it will choke out the other Xenia and anthelia. Any suggestions on blue cloves (besides “don’t do it”) are welcome.

I still consider myself new to the SW hobby even though I understand the base facts of eco systems stemming from my reptile and freshwater experience, I’m always looking for new opportunities to learn. So please feel free to tear my tank apart and tell me what to do better.

OP
OP
Fish_Boy_Wonder

Fish_Boy_Wonder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keeps getting better every time I look at it, I removed the main frag of orange and green clove polyps because in 1 month it grew 20 new polyps on the rock so I cut the frag plate loose and traded it back to my guy for some organ pipe coral. Clam got moved to our other tank, and added some decorative algae of some flavor.
4902CC73-4874-4525-8513-A970CF6264FB.jpeg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 114 77.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back