My 6 tank frag system build

TheSuspiciousFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I'm in the process of my biggest build yet. I bought a house in August and my wife let me take over the garage, which I've dubbed " The seashed" and it's housing my frag farm. About a year ago I decided to get a LLC and sell coral locally. I set up one 60g rr and sold coral out of a closet in my basement at the old house. It served its purpose and I was able to put those profits towards a much larger build which I started in September but is still in process. I'll post the pictures I've taken to today in this post and try to keep everyone updated as I get more done.

The tanks include:
-4-60g rimless seapora frag tanks
-a custom built 36x42x11 tank I found locally
-a 75g rr used for live rock
-a custom build 80g sump

Skimmer- asm g4
Lighting- 1 tank will have 2 maxspect r20r, 1-hybrid ai prime/t5, 3 tanks will have just t5s. The reasoning behind this is that I've been picking up stuff cheap along the way. Over time I'll switch to all radions or Phillips coral care lighting. These builds are expensive though and I'm limited to what I've profited over the last year.

Controllers-

Alktronic/dostronic/hydros (finally came in this week just in time!!!) This portion is the most exciting part to me. I was changing dosing constanly and had a few large alk swings kill a lot of coral in the past. When you add 30+ colonies to a system then take away coral when people buy them everyday I've found it extremely difficult to keep parameters and salinity consistant in the smaller system I used to have. Testing and dosing by hand daily will be a thing of the past. I even bought 2 ato's, one to refill saltwater after bagging and another to do the normal task.

From September to today I have insulated the garage, built stands, set the tanks, and ran 2-20amp circuits to the tanks. At this point I have 3 tanks running which houses my fish and some of the coral from my display at the old house my friends didn't have room for and a 75g with 200lbs of rock.

I'll update more in the coming days as I put together the electrical, controllers, and lighting in this weekend.. lucky for me a LFS not far away rents par meters.

The garage has CLUTTERED just ignore it, I needed the tanks in place so I know where I'll want the holding containers and cabinets to keep all the stuff tidy.

If anyone has ideas or sees something I've missed please please please let me know!!

20211002_130518.jpg 20211002_132955.jpg 20211002_151950.jpg 20211002_174924.jpg 20211006_191225.jpg 20211016_120648.jpg 20211016_120800.jpg 20211016_132944.jpg 20211016_183112.jpg 20211016_203437.jpg 20211019_223603.jpg 20211021_214603.jpg 20211022_181316.jpg 20211029_160501.jpg

OP
OP
T

TheSuspiciousFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we know you came out of this with the garage... you had to cave on the walk-in closet, right? ;)
she's getting a office in the basement to make her bedazzled tumblers and custom shirts. Once this project is done I have to start on hers. Theres no getting off Scott free doing something like this. She makes some really cool stuff though.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
she's getting a office in the basement to make her bedazzled tumblers and custom shirts. Once this project is done I have to start on hers. Theres no getting off Scott free doing something like this. She makes some really cool stuff though.
There's never a free ride! How long are you "stretching" out, er - how long is your project going to take you? ;)

OP
OP
T

TheSuspiciousFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a long week at work so I haven't gotten much done, I was able to hang a rail to hang the t5s and run a circuit to each stand for the powerheads but I was hoping to have alot more done.

The tronics finally came in but that's about it. This weekend I'll plumb the other 2 60g tanks into the system and get them filled with substrate and water.
received_1058889648240280.jpeg

I also put myself on a very exciting time crunch also... I put in a order from veitnam for some easy corals... just over a hundred high grade mushrooms, 13 colonies of zoas and lots of other leathers and anenome to get the ball rolling . I'll post another update when I have more done!

OP
OP
T

TheSuspiciousFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last couple weeks have been busy non stop working on this system.

My hippo tang got ick bad because of the moving stress so it was added to the mix also. I gave it a freshwater dip and moved it to a vacant tank where it's doing much better. It's amazing how attached you become with your fish, my heart was in my stomach for a few days until yesterday when it finally came out and was swimming around. Theres still a couple spots but it's back to eating like a pig and it's looking healthy again.

Alkatronic and dosetronic... MY LORD. read the manual...read the manual...and read it again.... then contact support to find out dosetronic has a new process to get it connected . I spent my weekend getting these things connected to the cloud and setup. Then when I compared it to the hanna master checker I won from BRS it was WAY off. Turns out that $400 super checker is garbage. It was reading the dkh as 6 and I'd put the same water in the handheld hanna checker and it would show 7.65, which still didn't match the alkatronic. Going through the calibration process again it turned out the water in calibration never saved.

All in all the tronics are absolutly awesome. Despite the tough setup and the new models having a new process to get them on the cloud not mentioned in the manuals I was looking at, these things rock. I've never felt so in tune with a tank. I have to make new reagent because I believe this is showing 1 dkh low but for now 7.8 is 8.5. The dosetronic loads a new schedule at midnight every night based on the consumption the day before. I love it, this is going to be such an important tool once the tanks are full of coral and demands change daily. I'm bringing the dkh up to 8 slowly.
Screenshot_20211115-092824_Alkatronic WiFi.jpg

20211112_152807.jpg

20211114_181035.jpg

I still haven't gotten to the organizing portion of the automation, theres a few things I have to get before everything is put in place permanently but they're running well. I'm still setting the hydros up but it isn't on the top kf the to-do list right now.

I did substrate in each tank, which I know is kind of a no-no in frag tanks but I did it for a few reasons.

1- most of the colonies I have are on rocks and conebottoms are just easier to keep on a sand bed.

2- I wanted each frag tank to also be appealing like a display. They'll be half display with colonies on the rocks and half racks with frags from the colonies.

3- I like to keep conches,brittle stars and other cool sandbed dwellers and clean up crews to sell when people need or want them.

4- I feel like sandbeds host a ecosystem in itself, it makes the system as a whole easier to maintain.

Over the last 2 days the tanks have started to bloom diatoms. The hundreds of various snails are in their glory

So far the system seems like it's running great and there hasn't been any big problems as of yet but there is still alot to do.

This week I bought an red bubble tip anenome. And put my 9 yr old clowns in that tank. They have always been hosted by a colony of frogspawn.
20211108_173205.jpg

This week I'm running the rodi to a permanent spot and setting up my mixing containers. And getting organized in the seashed, its a mess!

I'm still trying to source a acrylic overflow for the last tank so I can set that up but it's been difficult. Some places are just priced too high, some are too busy to take on a small job like that. Some I haven't heard back from.

Again if anyone has advice let me hear it. I'd love to get opinions if I'm missing anything or could make life a little easier down the road.

dcal1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a really cool build, following along!

How are you plumbing these tanks together and managing flow? I'd love to see some pictures of those details if you get a chance.

OP
OP
T

TheSuspiciousFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a really cool build, following along!

How are you plumbing these tanks together and managing flow? I'd love to see some pictures of those details if you get a chance.
Thanks I think its pretty cool too. I'll take some pictures for you tonight. It's not a work of art in by any means like alot of the systems you'll see here. I still had a 2 tanks at my old house that needed to move asap. I wish I had the time, patience and skill to plumb this system like some the art we see on some builds. Maybe ill go back through sometime and redo it all once its up and running.

dcal1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I think its pretty cool too. I'll take some pictures for you tonight. It's not a work of art in by any means like alot of the systems you'll see here. I still had a 2 tanks at my old house that needed to move asap. I wish I had the time, patience and skill to plumb this system like some the art we see on some builds. Maybe ill go back through sometime and redo it all once its up and running.
Awesome, thanks! I'm scheming a similar build at some point and I'm no master plumber so mostly just curious to see how you have it working.

OP
OP
T

TheSuspiciousFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks! I'm scheming a similar build at some point and I'm no master plumber so mostly just curious to see how you have it working.
I'll definetly go through it for you then. I spent alot of time deciding how to make it work and whether or not to run it on one system or keep it separate. There's positives and negatives to both but I decided one system would be better for the stability and being able to use a controller like the tronics.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back