Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its that time again, so I put together a little before and after of my experiments gone haywire. System is look better and better everyday and especially with the red cyano gone.

Lol,
Looks like "Sony" blocked this video :confused::(

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Worries. :)
Gotta put that clip on the... to get list. :cool:

They are a little hard to get off the glass if one has sausage fingers like mine and move. It would be great if the dry side was like a drawer knob.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy to report that the Aquaforest tests were almost spot on with my Hanna Ca and Alk.
Ca 480 Hanna
Ca 460 AF
Mg 1340 Red Sea
Mg 1410 AF
Alk 8.2 Hanna
Alk 8.2 to 8.4
No3 4 pmm Red Sea
Po4 0 Hanna ultra low phosphorus
PH is messed up put a new probe in and I am reading 7.53 I have to get some calibration fluid. Checked the air from outside and the line is clean all the way to the skimmer.
Temp 78.5
conductivity 32.9

I am very happy to report that almost all the brown cyano and diatoms are gone from the DT. After all the chemicals I was throwing in the system, changing the filter socks and cleaning the skimmer cup daily has really made a difference. I also change out the GFO reactor today. I need to find a better way, instead of using the sponge at the bottom of the canister. The sponge reduces the flow in 3 to 5 days. I would like to pull the sponge, but the GFO will fall to the bottom of the canister and the reactor would be useless.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which AF salt are you using?
Reef Salt
IMG_4699.JPG

IMG_4706.JPG

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, my experiences with their reef salt has been completely different. Lower alk, way lower cal at the same salinity.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, my experiences with their reef salt has been completely different. Lower alk, way lower cal at the same salinity.
True, it one of the reasons I switch to the AF reef salt. I supplement the salt with 1+2+3+ to keep my alk up Ca and Mg were I would like, for optimum growth. Some of the other brand reef salts have a high Alk, Ca and there are a couple of thread here on R2R with the result of the number, found it link pretty interesting. When I go to the auto water change I might not have to dose as much of the 1+2+3+. I do have a high demand of corals though.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, it one of the reasons I switch to the AF reef salt. I supplement the salt with 1+2+3+ to keep my alk up Ca and Mg were I would like, for optimum growth. Some of the other brand reef salts have a high Alk, Ca and there are a couple of thread here on R2R with the result of the number, found it link pretty interesting. When I go to the auto water change I might not have to dose as much of the 1+2+3+. I do have a high demand of corals though.

Ooh, so you supplemented the AF salt to get those numbers. That makes a bit more sense to me.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh, so you supplemented the AF salt to get those numbers. That makes a bit more sense to me.

Yes. I would rather start with a low number and work up, instead of working down from a high number.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second run with AF test kits
Ca 470
Mg 1350
Alk 8.4 Hanna
Po4 0 Hanna

I am really like my mix of test kits that I have now. I would alway roll my eyes when a post was posted with the person using several test kits. Now I know why:) Today was a quick let's take the numbers and I used the AF's tests and was happy. They are a little different with the colors changing and how the tests are performed, but simple and I am confident that the test on accurate. I can not beat the Hanna for phosphates. Today is probably a first of my testing my phosphates at zero in the past two tests and being confident that the number is correct.

As I discussing with @120reefkeeper my PH has been dropping over the past month or so. I still have the line outside hooked to the skimmer. We have a new A/C unit and I am guessing with all the heat we have been having and a reducted, sealed system there is more CO2 in the house, it a good and bad thing. My bill is much lower but I have more CO2 being contained in the house:eek::) I am going to add a CO2 scrubber to the system this week to see if that will fix the PH issue

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna alk and phos. checkers, are the way to go. :)
Freddie

Yes, they are. I will have some video for you soon on the AF test kits

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 40 78.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back