OP
jsker

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I nice thing I discovered. You know those donut sponges at the bottom of reactors or filters, that clog up after time. Then the more one rinces the smaller they get and then one has to find a replacement?

I have found out cutting the potscrubber sponges link really work well to replace the sponges and the flow is fantastic over time. The nice thing is they are easy to rinsed and after a few uses they can be tossed and replaced.

I use them in my GFO reactor, one at the top and one at the bottom

IMG_5332.JPG

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huston I think the numbers are leveling off
Ca 452
Mg 1370
Alk 9
Phosphates .07 changed the GFO, and hitting it with lanthanum chloride tonight
Nitrates 5ppm
Salinity 1.025 after making adjustment in the DT and AWC reservoir. Apex reads 34.3 and the Hanna reads 1.025, 33ppt. The only draw back I see with the Hanna HI96822 is I would like to see another decimal point on the PPT to give a even close reading. But over the refractometer is still the bomb.
Temp 78.4
PH 7.89
IMG_5334.JPG

The tank is settling down. right now I am only dosing 4ml alk a day with the water changes. I will say once the corals start to heal the consumption will go back up but not like it used too.
IMG_5333.JPG

Making sure everything is right
IMG_5335.JPG

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@siggy you have to start at page one:p:p:D:D

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying! A little gun shy, still fighting gha in the wife's Biocube after a hit of velvet. Little nervous of my lack of skills! Have everything but my ro/di. Getting ready to order that in 5 minutes. By next weekend I should be filling it and posting pics.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was admiring your work station

Makoree and fiddle back maple with breadboard ends. I had to get a silicone baking mat so the testing sample with not spot the years of beeswax polish.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying! A little gun shy, still fighting gha in the wife's Biocube after a hit of velvet. Little nervous of my lack of skills! Have everything but my ro/di. Getting ready to order that in 5 minutes. By next weekend I should be filling it and posting pics.

Check the nutrients in the cube. Nitrates and Phosphates. usually GHA is caused with the nutrient out of balance. How big is the clean up crew in the cube?

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the nutrients in the cube. Nitrates and Phosphates. usually GHA is caused with the nutrient out of balance. How big is the clean up crew in the cube?
About 10 snails, a Mexican, turbo and I don't remember what the others are called but the lfs' said they are the ones I need. Also about 6 blue leg hemits, one red and 4 shrimp although I know the don't count for the gha) 1 cleaner, one fire and 2 peppermint. I know our kh is a little low at 6.7, been trying to raise it. Still not ready to get any fish to help battle it. Plan on plucking, water change and testing again this evening.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 10 snails, a Mexican, turbo and I don't remember what the others are called but the lfs' said they are the ones I need. Also about 6 blue leg hemits, one red and 4 shrimp although I know the don't count for the gha) 1 cleaner, one fire and 2 peppermint. I know our kh is a little low at 6.7, been trying to raise it. Still not ready to get any fish to help battle it. Plan on plucking, water change and testing again this evening.
Ph-7.8
No3 - 15-20
No4 - .04
Sg- .026

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest getting the No3's down to 5 ppm and the phosphates down to a .02 to a .03 and the GHA will start starving off.

water changes are on way export the nutrients. Here are some videos link on how to modify the filtration if that helps.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest getting the No3's down to 5 ppm and the phosphates down to a .02 to a .03 and the GHA will start starving off.

water changes are on way export the nutrients. Here are some videos link on how to modify the filtration if that helps.
You are awesome my friend, thank you!

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are awesome my friend, thank you!

You are welcome. If you can get some seeded media in the back chamber, that would help with the nitrates greatly

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like I'm on the right track almost matched the video. Still using the stock rack, removed the stock filter. Put in Polly pad with chemi-pure elite, second rack rubble and carbon, 3rd phosguard and rubble, bottom cheato. Skimmer and heater in chamber 1. Anything look out of whack on that setup?

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like I'm on the right track almost matched the video. Still using the stock rack, removed the stock filter. Put in Polly pad with chemi-pure elite, second rack rubble and carbon, 3rd phosguard and rubble, bottom cheato. Skimmer and heater in chamber 1. Anything look out of whack on that setup?

The only thing I would suggest is replace the rubble with seed media:)

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, Im embarrassed to ask, seed media?

Thank you, I didn't intend to hijack your thread but I really do appreciate your feedback and everyone on R2R, the world's greatest forum!

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, Im embarrassed to ask, seed media?

Thank you, I didn't intend to hijack your thread but I really do appreciate your feedback and everyone on R2R, the world's greatest forum!

The only embarrassing question on the one not asked;)

Siporax, Matrix, or Life Bio Fil all three work great.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makoree and fiddle back maple with breadboard ends. I had to get a silicone baking mat so the testing sample with not spot the years of beeswax polish.
a littel off topic, my cherry stand is starting to look weathered from the salt and I was thinking furniture wax, any suggestions ? i'm thinking he used a poly-stain

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back