OP
jsker

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice shooting.....Bert likes the camera.

I have to work on capturing the color. focus is pretty good.

I am borrowing a par meter to see where my pars are at. This should be interesting to know the real intensity of the lights.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's numbers
Ca 419
Alk 8.8 backed off a touch more on dosing 12 ml per day
Mg 1455 still not dosing
Phosphates .02
Nitrates 5pp solid, started running NP-Pro again at 15 ml a day with the doser to see if this will be the key to my cyano battles
Tank and Auto water change water are both salinity 33 ppt

Mangrove update
IMG_5522.JPG

Front tank shot
IMG_5524.JPG

You can see sally hanging out in her usual afternoon spot under the mushroom farm making sure that I know she is there to be feed a piece of shrimp.

Got a really good shot of my Superman chalice at the bottom of the mushroom farm left. Look like a shroom but that is a chalice
IMG_5517.JPG

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a trigger! I love triggers but thought i couldn't have one. How does it work out for you?

Niger Triggers are reef safe. Burt gets along with the rest of the crew very well and has not pick at any of the corals so far.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some intresting reading from NOAA about blue carbon link

HOME OCEAN FACTS WHAT IS BLUE CARBON?
What is Blue Carbon?
Blue carbon is the term for carbon captured by the world's ocean and coastal ecosystems.

mangrove.jpg

Yes, this is an image of a mangrove, but did you know it is also an image of a sink? A carbon sink. Don’t know what that is? Read below.

Something that has a significant effect on our daily lives and is stored within the largest system of water on our planet must be a household name, right? Not necessarily. Have you ever heard of blue carbon? Chances are the answer is no, but perhaps you know more than you realize.

Blue carbon is simply the term for carbon captured by the world's ocean and coastal ecosystems. You have probably heard that human activities emit (or give off) something called carbon dioxide, which contains atmospheric carbon. You have also heard that these gases are changing the world's climate, and not in a good way. What you may not have heard is that our ocean and coasts provide a natural way of reducing the impact of greenhouse gases on our atmosphere, through sequestration (or taking in) of this carbon.

Sea grasses, mangroves, and salt marshes along our coast "capture and hold" carbon, acting as something called a carbon sink. These coastal systems, though much smaller in size than the planet's forests, sequester this carbon at a much faster rate, and can continue to do so for millions of years. Most of the carbon taken up by these ecosystems is stored below ground where we can't see it, but it is still there. The carbon found in coastal soil is often thousands of years old!

The bigger picture of blue carbon is one of coastal habitat conservation. When these systems are damaged, an enormous amount of carbon is emitted back into the atmosphere, where it can then contribute to climate change. So protecting and restoring coastal habitats is a good way to reduce climate change. When we protect the carbon in coastal systems, we protect healthy coastal environments that provide many other benefits to people, such as recreational opportunities, storm protection, and nursery habitat for commercial and recreational fisheries.

One method of slowing climate change impacts is to incorporate coastal wetlands into the carbon market through the buying and selling of carbon offsets. This approach creates a financial incentive for restoration and conservation projects by helping to alleviate federal and state carbon taxes aimed at discouraging the use of fossil fuels. When fewer greenhouse gases are emitted, less pollution is created. When there is less pollution to tax, the process benefits not only the environment but also the financial well-being of the community doing the restoration.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reducing your carbon footprint with mangroves;) Well I pulled the marine pure, I think I had too much with fuge and live rock, I see you have zeovit in your sump is that new ?

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reducing your carbon footprint with mangroves;) Well I pulled the marine pure, I think I had too much with fuge and live rock, I see you have zeovit in your sump is that new ?

I ran the Zeovit media for 4 months with great success and then switch of to the Aquaforest life bio fil and the zeomix for Aquaforest.

From what I understand and have read, The Mangrove really do not do much in absorbing nitrates. Mangrove adsorb more magnesium. I have to do some clipping to my bonsai mangrove so it will bush out more:) I need to head over to the coast and see if I can pick up another pod or two and see if the grow. The last one took a year for the pod to sprout.

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jsker, I live in Winter Springs. My tank will be up in 3 months, or should be. I'll be making a run to Tampa for TBS rock once its ready. I'm also willing add "random" local ocean bacteria to the tank. Maybe we could make some collection runs sometime? The non reefers (fam members) can just enjoy the beach haha

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jsker, I live in Winter Springs. My tank will be up in 3 months, or should be. I'll be making a run to Tampa for TBS rock once its ready. I'm also willing add "random" local ocean bacteria to the tank. Maybe we could make some collection runs sometime? The non reefers (fam members) can just enjoy the beach haha

I could be up for that. FYI, I have some frags if you want them.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look how came out of here sell?
I found what I thought a Dead Sally lightfoot on my plating monti this morning. Boke out the tweezers and fish out the shell. Tossed it in the trash. Open the trash before putting it to the curb and thought I saw the shell move.
Put the shell back in the tank and said to myself, it has been some time since she has molted and I will wait
IMG_5528.JPG

Just looked and there she is all freshened up
IMG_5526.JPG

IMG_5527.JPG

Decided I would give sally a piece of shrimp and the pig Burt moves in and steals it. What a bum!!
IMG_5529.JPG

Of course he has to let it go and now Sally has it back.
End of story

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's Numbers
Ca 415
Mg 1455
Alk 8.4 now to get this set;) which will be a daily test for the next week or so. 1 ml at a time
Phosphates .01
Nitrates 8 ish
Salinity 33 ppt

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kids will be Kids

;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious Yes they will be. I tried again last night and Burt stole the shrimp from Sally. I would say she is still weak for the process and need a couple of days.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like you gyre's? Also I had a sally light foot decimate my last aquarium, be careful.
Jim

I love my Gyres, I have them for 3 years with no issues.

Sally has been in the tank for 2 years and she has been a model critter:)

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the same Mangrove, or is it a new one?

Same one one sir, it of the slowest to grow varieties of mangrove (Tardus manglicis) ;)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same one one sir, it of the slowest to grow varieties of mangrove (Tardus manglicis) ;)
Gotta love that guy.

Thanks for sharing. I was wondering if you still had it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back