My 75 gallon adventure

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Job GRL. Everything seems to be Coming along. Btw regarding that live rock. Are you planning on keeping macro algae in the display? If not. You may be better of scrubbing that rock with some hydrogen peroxide. Sometimes some algae that come in on that rock is tough to deal with.

OP
OP
taulgrl

taulgrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows the live rock doing? Still high ammonia?
Ammonia down to almost zero today. I saw that you used Prime and got some a few days ago. It helped a a lot - thanks!

still have a sea squirt that’s alive and was trying to figure out if I should give it some phyto. My nitrates are still pretty high And I don’t want to foul up the water after finally stabilizing it. Are you feeding yours?

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia down to almost zero today. I saw that you used Prime and got some a few days ago. It helped a a lot - thanks!

still have a sea squirt that’s alive and was trying to figure out if I should give it some phyto. My nitrates are still pretty high And I don’t want to foul up the water after finally stabilizing it. Are you feeding yours?

Awesome! I haven't fed it yet, but someone mentioned in the other thread that we should. I plan to pick up some phyto soon.

OP
OP
taulgrl

taulgrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Job GRL. Everything seems to be Coming along. Btw regarding that live rock. Are you planning on keeping macro algae in the display? If not. You may be better of scrubbing that rock with some hydrogen peroxide. Sometimes some algae that come in on that rock is tough to deal with.
I’m trying to figure that out myself. I love the macro that looks like a big fern and it sprouted a bunch of babies at its base Recently. The other macro I can take or leave. JCM did you scrub your algae off before putting in DT? We have similar size / age tanks. I should probably clean the rocks up a bit just before moving them.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plucked off the stuff that was dying. A good bit survived and is growing. I figure right now it's helping stabilize parameters and as soon as I add a few herbivores, it'll be eaten.

It's all macro algae they'll enjoy, not nuisance algae.

OP
OP
taulgrl

taulgrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks have gone by but it seems like a lot longer. I want my tank to look like the amazing builds I follow but trying to be patient.

Updates:
1. The live rock graduated to the DT. Macros, tunicates and some of the sponges are still alive. My hermits are going nuts chewing on everything but so far they seem to be helping
2. two NICREW 100W lights are mounted and on. I’m a bit freaked out about the ugly phase starting but want to grow my macros and coralline. Algae is starting to creep onto dry rock so looking into updating CUC to include more snails. Also trying to find clean Chaeto to put in sump.
3. Got an algae blenny and two ocellaris clowns. Decided to try my hand at a QT tank so got a 10g off FB marketplace and the little guys (and gal) are soaking in copper for a while. Smallest clown seems happy but has had flared gills since I got her and does a weird quivering thing occasionally. I’m worried it’s flukes and may follow the copper treatment with PraziPro. Thought about doing a fw dip but I don’t have anything to adjust pH.

Also got a little better at taking pictures.
6AE5855B-0CB4-4957-8444-3A9828DE3BF4.jpeg
752C0811-CA24-4A81-B4E2-1ACE13E1523E.jpeg
F1DECCA9-1A22-4868-9DB5-B0BC1F0C9C52.jpeg
7A012625-DA63-4C62-A544-47FC4AA79C79.jpeg

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock is in and i Iove it. I’m really kicking myself for not using more live and less dry rock.

Your tank looks fantastic. I love the new corals

Thank you!

Yours is looking great as well, I really like the aquascape. Are you planning on keeping SPS? they'll have tons of room to grow.

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't run the lights or run them just a couple hours a day until you put coral in it.

I got live rock from tampa bay saltwater for my build. It's awesome. I had a lot of die off but plenty of critters made it over, including two brittle starfish I see every now and then.

OP
OP
taulgrl

taulgrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't run the lights or run them just a couple hours a day until you put coral in it.

I got live rock from tampa bay saltwater for my build. It's awesome. I had a lot of die off but plenty of critters made it over, including two brittle starfish I see every now and then.
I wish more critters survived. Next time I'll do next-day air. For light, I'm trying to find the balance between keeping macros alive and not have dry rock overrun with nuisance algae.

Does coralline require light? I've read both yes and no so I've been running mostly blue light for 4 hours. May have to go down to less if algae growth gets much worse.

OP
OP
taulgrl

taulgrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy 2.5 month birthday to my tank! Here’s what’s new:

1. my Algae paranoia resulted in an awesome @reefcleaners purchase of astrea, trochus and cerith snails. Also got 3 peppermint shrimp that immediately chowed down on the two tiny aiptasia I had noticed. All arrived healthy and ready to eat! Can’t say enough good things about @reefcleaners

2. also got a glob of chaeto from them which is growing like crazy in my fuge. I think it came w pods because as soon as my lights come on all of the fish go crazy picking things off of the overflow. Bonus!

3. Lenny (the blenny) was released from QT and was immediately
hassled by my 2 yellow tails in the DT. I was so worried he would starve. literally lost sleep over it! Tried the mirror trick, over fed, rescaped a bit and created a side of the tank filled w options for Lenny to eat and hide in. After a week he is finally chowing down on the tall, orange sponge or tunicate (not sure what it is) and today he started eating the Nori i attached to a rock. Hoping he starts eating the long wavy green algae (is that GHA?). Will take the Nori out tonight and not replace it to see if I can entice him.

4. have an acclimation box coming Thursday. this Weekend the clowns will finish their QT (signs of flukes so they are staying in for their Prazi spa treatment). It’s been so hard waiting. Husband keeps asking me when they are coming up from the basement.

5. put 5 of my 8 blue legs in the sump after I caught them eating a nassarius snail. I think the hoodlums are going back to the lfs.

The information in the forums has been priceless! Thanks to all for your help. Every question or problem I have I can find the info there. Hoping to introduce my first corals in a month

Lenny and what’s left of the sponge/tunicate CD2F5831-172B-49B7-B04B-E6F5477EE717.jpeg
Lenny paradise
2A4B3B72-E907-4D36-B4D4-2458B34E05D6.jpeg

FTS
5D73DD5C-4824-4F80-A684-2F7774540D23.jpeg

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back