Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks amazing Perry!

Thank you Tim!
I am still doing some minor tweaks, but my effort is to suspend rocks and corals on platforms. My back frag rack, is to display larger colonies, giving them leg room. 2 large rocks are suspended on large pvc pieces, therefore the rock does not make contact to the glass. Doing some crazy weird techniques for perfectly run bb system.
Goal is zero detritus in display, so the modular reef, and 5 powerful wave pumps ensures just that :)

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening!
Most of the reef is modular, this made the transfer from the 90 gallon, to my current display fairly easy. Being able to move corals around, whether for aesthetics, or fragging, and maintenance, makes each of those tasks much easier.
While the new scape is nice, I felt like many colonies were lost in the depth of the display, so I did a re-design. The scape is higher in the back now, putting colonies out on display.
Thanks for looking :)

20230531_132549.jpg

Looks great Perry!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things moving along well :)
Tested nutrients today, post water change.
N03= 4.8ppm
P04= 0.00ppm
Both test on Hannah checkers
Now, did I freak out and add phosphorus? No!!!
Am I concerned about low nitrate? No!!!
This tank is running basic, and simple. The levels are low, due to addressing and chasing detritus removal. The bb tank is so efficient, that detritus cannot settle, ultimately makes its way to the filter sock. The sump has about 40lbs of live rock, and occasionally gets dirty.
Today was sump cleaning day...
This tank is fed very heavy with frozen, so while the Hanna isn't revealing m7ch for nutrients, they are there, an every other day algae film build up on glass puts me in my happy place :)

Therman's Sublime Granulosa- This beautiful piece is encrusting nicely, and is featuring a yellow trend in the base with beautiful violet tips.
20230604_132904.jpg

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The proof is in the pudding!!! Looking forward to seeing that one grow out, looking great!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The proof is in the pudding!!! Looking forward to seeing that one grow out, looking great!

Thanks Mark,
In my beginnings with sps, I had a 75 gallon barebottom tank(2005-6), loaded with acros, using t5 unit from Sunlight Supply/Tek 6 bulb. This tank ran exactly the same but back then, P04 and PH, were not really managed/tested, at least by me. Kalkwasser used on drip with automated 2 part, using the old Aquamedic Reef Doser. Old school!!!
This tank was crazy successful, I had no idea what I was doing, but the tank was humming along. I used glass film to determine P04, and when I had daily film, I ran GFO. I had a fuge as well, and it and gfo kept me ULN. Acros, clams, and others grew and colored beautifully. Things seemed more simple, frankly they were. Memories of that tank, and how it was managed, have great influence over this current reef.
Call it old, call it salty, but I am no longer chasing colors. I am now chasing ph, and detritus management. Both are easily and cheaply implemented and managed...
Cheers :)

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run a fuge on this one, Perry? I forget. I'm still thinking of adding a fuge section. I'e never ran one.

BirdFish5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run a fuge on this one, Perry? I forget. I'm still thinking of adding a fuge section. I'e never ran one.
Depending on system size, and your bioload, an algae scrubber may be more effective. I stock <heavily> on fish, so a scrubber does a better job for me personally.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tyler,
About 6 weeks ago I yanked the mangroves and opted for a dark sump. 40lbs of rock, covered in sponges and cryptic critters. My goal for this tank is a clean, detritus free display, and a clean, detritus free sump. Both are managed frequently, water changes have shifted to weekly, 10%

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that background, thanks for sharing.

Funny, when my prior system was at its peak with acros I wasn’t testing nitrate or phosphate really at all. I couldn’t even guess what I was at. I had a lot of fish though.

Now I test all the time (doh!). But I’m mainly concerned now with stability of the basics, and of course removal of detritis as well lol.

After I tore my last tank down, never again will that stinky kitty litter be in a tank of mine.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that background, thanks for sharing.

Funny, when my prior system was at its peak with acros I wasn’t testing nitrate or phosphate really at all. I couldn’t even guess what I was at. I had a lot of fish though.

Now I test all the time (doh!). But I’m mainly concerned now with stability of the basics, and of course removal of detritis as well lol.

After I tore my last tank down, never again will that stinky kitty litter be in a tank of mine.

Mark,
My pleasure, sometimes we need to unlearn to re-learn, lol... Thanks for following the madness as I digress into my past reefing experience. It's important to share, when appropriate. Agreed on the kitty litter, lol ;)

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Josh,
I appreciate the kind words brother!
I was bummed that your schedule was so tight when visiting FL. All good, next time the tank should be more show-worthy.
Thanks again!

Well it looks show-worthy to me right now!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it looks show-worthy to me right now!

Believe it or not, but I just finished moving a few rocks and corals in better aestecitally eye pleasing locations. That said, I am close to the final layout. Thanks for the kind words brother! Look forward to chatting reef stuff in person :)

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Tank looks good! Just watched a bunch of your YouTube videos. I love your philosophy of explaining what works for you and your system but how you may also achieve great results with other methods.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks good! Just watched a bunch of your YouTube videos. I love your philosophy of explaining what works for you and your system but how you may also achieve great results with other methods.

Thank you!
Just trying to enjoy the hobby and create a fun enjoyable slice of reef. Too many paths to choose to believe only one is the right one, lol...

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thank you!
Just trying to enjoy the hobby and create a fun enjoyable slice of reef. Too many paths to choose to believe only one is the right one, lol...
There are too many variables to do it one way. The best part for me is to see what else is working for other people. It really shows just how adaptive corals can be in captivity.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back