OP
OP
L

labas39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like my scrubber is taking off now.

Unlit side
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424119648.992250.jpg

Lit side
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424119677.577670.jpg
What is the actual bulb you're using? Manufacturer and model?

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
labas39 last i remember you were going to try and order the same lights im using ? did those work for you ? my screen i have to clean at least every other week , its totally filled , was thinking of adding another light on each side ? i have the room and i believe i have more screen that can grow algae ?

OP
OP
L

labas39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
labas39 last i remember you were going to try and order the same lights im using ? did those work for you ? my screen i have to clean at least every other week , its totally filled , was thinking of adding another light on each side ? i have the room and i believe i have more screen that can grow algae ?
I did end up buying that magenta and blue light fixture from China. It came pretty fast and I do get algae growth but it's not that nice green filamentous algae that freakit is getting. My phosphates and nitrates, however, are both at very low levels so maybe it doesn't need to be.

freakit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the actual bulb you're using? Manufacturer and model?

Sorry for the late response. I am using a light from China on eBay. Item number (331283995819). I am using a single 20w on one side but recommend one on each side or higher wattage for single side or both if you feed heavy!

Roberto CRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello i have a question.

In the ATS grow different colors such as green, brown.

Wich is the reason for these diferent color of algae?

Any color of algae is good?

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There can be many reasons: light color, light intensity/photoperiod, flow, available nutrients, age of screen, feeding volume vs screen size, etc. All algae will pull nutrients out of the water, some better than others. IME GHA seems to be the best because you can get long growth periods without self-shading. Yellow spongy stuff blocks some light and generally doesn't let GHA attach. Brown turf is OK and is usually a precursor to GHA.

What type are you getting and can you post pics?

Roberto CRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There can be many reasons: light color, light intensity/photoperiod, flow, available nutrients, age of screen, feeding volume vs screen size, etc. All algae will pull nutrients out of the water, some better than others. IME GHA seems to be the best because you can get long growth periods without self-shading. Yellow spongy stuff blocks some light and generally doesn't let GHA attach. Brown turf is OK and is usually a precursor to GHA.

What type are you getting and can you post pics?

Thanks for the reply.

My ATOS has 5 weeks, but before this tube one that lasted approximately 20 weeks and were brown algae.

Excuse my question, but it means IME GHA and GHA?

I use 3 led believes blue, 3 red and 3 cree led warm white led, 3w all and the screen is as 7 "ATS.

Here I leave a few pictures of how it is my ATS

The first is the four weeks after the weekly cleaning.
IMG_20151103_063309_zpskaju3fmp.jpg

The second is in the fifth week after two days of cleaning.
IMG_20151114_095924_zpsyko4wemo.jpg

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME = In My Experience
GHA = Green Hair Algae

What are your screen dimensions?

You said
the screen is as 7 "ATS.
so 7" wide (looks wider?) but how tall?

What size mesh are you using, the #7 or #10? That number refers to the number of holes per inch (linear inch, not square inch)

How did you rough up the screen?

How big is the tank that this is on?

How much/what do you feed, on average, every day?

I use 3 led believes blue, 3 red and 3 cree led warm white led, 3w all
A little confused, can you clarify more? Are you using a purchased lamp/fixture? More than one?

Post a pic of the fixture(s) also.

Are you lighting just one side, or both?

Roberto CRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME = In My Experience
GHA = Green Hair Algae

What are your screen dimensions?

You said

so 7" wide (looks wider?) but how tall?

7 "is the distance of the lamp to the mesh.

What size mesh are you using, the #7 or #10? That number refers to the number of holes per inch (linear inch, not square inch)

I have no data on how many holes per inch.

How did you rough up the screen?

I made with a hand saw wood.

How big is the tank that this is on?

Are 150 G

How much/what do you feed, on average, every day?

It is fed with pellets and nori 2 times a day each.

A little confused, can you clarify more? Are you using a purchased lamp/fixture? More than one?

The fixture are DIY a total of 9 led 3 w each.

Post a pic of the fixture(s) also.

I have no pic of the fixture.

Are you lighting just one side, or both?

Only one side.

Roberto CRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Answer.

7 "is the distance of the lamp to the mesh.

I have no data on how many holes per inch.

I made with a hand saw wood.

Are 150 G

It is feed with pellets and nori 2 times a day each.

The fixture are DIY a total of 9 led of 3 w each.

I have no pic of the fixture.

Only one side.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

8.5x11 = 93.5 sq in, 93.5/12 = 7.8. That's the calculation for screen capacity based on the feeding guideline = 12 sq in of screen, lit on both sides, per cube of food fed per day.

for single-sided, you cut that in half - so about 3.9 cubes/day. If you are feeding pellets and nori, hard to say, but it's probably OK size wise, maybe a bit larger than you really need, but not horribly over.

The mesh does look like the #7 mesh based on those dimensions. #7 = 7 holes/inch. You can just take a tape measure to it, but you can tell the difference visually between #5, #7, and #10.

The LED fixture: do you know exactly what wavelength (nm) LEDs you used? Are your reds "Deep Red" = 660nm or regular red = 630nm? You said red, blue, and warm white? Should work OK, I just use Deep Reds and maybe a few royal blues or preferably hyper-violets.

For coverage, my calculation is one DR 660nm for ever 4-8 sq in of screen. So for 8.5x11 = 93, 93/4 = 23 and 93/8 = 11, so you would want between 11 and 23 660nm Deep Reds on each side. Or in your case, on one side. You are using 3 reds and 3 warm whites and 3 blues. That's not completely wrong because you're obviously growing algae, I would just rely more on the Deep Reds myself and then use other colors just to supplement the red. For my calculation, I do not take into account anything except for red LEDs as that it primary. Then other colors, in a low ratio, like 6:1 or 12:1 red:eek:ther. So for your screen for instance I might do 12 reds in a rectangular array, then put in 2 hyper violets.

7" distance from the screen seems a bit far away. You might move it closer, but the issue is that WWs and RBs have a much higher intensity and if you run them at full current and place them too close to the screen, you can end up with photosaturation (too much light). So move the fixture a little bit closer and then watch for signs of bare spots.

Can you also take a picture of your screen without the LED lights on and post that? It's hard to tell what kind of growth you are getting with the LEDs on, the red washes out the green and makes it look black.

Roberto CRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I restarted my ATS a couple of months ago after some changes. It has different colors as well, but the growth is very thick.
My scrubber:

Side 1

Side 2

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back