My Algae Turf Scrubber Build

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the 18 hr rule is for CFLs or T5HO, and it doesn't seem that you are able to reach any intensity level with those sources that can cause severe photosaturation unless you really cram the lamps together and use really DIY reflectors, whereas with LED you apparently can.

I rarely run an LED scrubber at more than 12 hours/day and I recommend 9 hrs/day maximum for a start, and leave it there as long as it's doing the job. No need to increase it if it's not needed.

OP
OP
L

labas39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again! I'll keep the thread up to date on the new schedule.

Note that the back side of the screen never had hair algae but it was green and it remains green today.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that additional piece of info. So did all of the algae turn white one that side, or just bits of it on that one side?

Same LED fixture on the other side?

OP
OP
L

labas39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, sorry to mention that the light is only on one side and only the hair algae on the light side turned white. The opposite side of the light never turned white. The growth on that side, however, isn't hairy and never needs to be scrapped. It may be the roots of the other side or just growth from the reflection of the light onto the back side.

freakit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BOWHUNTER4250 any updates, Pics... Curious on how your lights are doing.

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BOWHUNTER4250 any updates, Pics... Curious on how your lights are doing.

i can take a few pics and post them ... i run my scrubber for about 10hrs lit on both sides , i clean my screen about every 2 weeks , i don't get the long green thick hairy algae as you mostly see in some other videos .... mine gets fairly thick , dark green , but mostly a slimey type ? i have to scrape fairly aggressively to clean both sides down to where you can see light thru the screen .... i also get algae on the inside of the scrubber walls along with coraline so im having to clean that as well ... i still run my skimmer and haven't tried taking that off line yet as i have a cyano outbreak right now , i check my NO3 and on a sailfert test kit it remains slightly pink .... i do still have to run a form of GFO to control my PO4 .... not sure if i have the correct flow but i do believe having this in line is helping ?

freakit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can take a few pics and post them ... i run my scrubber for about 10hrs lit on both sides , i clean my screen about every 2 weeks , i don't get the long green thick hairy algae as you mostly see in some other videos .... mine gets fairly thick , dark green , but mostly a slimey type ? i have to scrape fairly aggressively to clean both sides down to where you can see light thru the screen .... i also get algae on the inside of the scrubber walls along with coraline so im having to clean that as well ... i still run my skimmer and haven't tried taking that off line yet as i have a cyano outbreak right now , i check my NO3 and on a sailfert test kit it remains slightly pink .... i do still have to run a form of GFO to control my PO4 .... not sure if i have the correct flow but i do believe having this in line is helping ?

Interesting... How are your nitrate levels?

freakit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I read you posted 11" x ?" Screen on your scrubber which made me think one would be fine for a 6x8 screen. I feed ~ 2 cubes a day. I also have a SRO 3000 skimmer on ~150 gallon water volume. I'm hoping to stop gfo.

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I read you posted 11" x ?" Screen on your scrubber which made me think one would be fine for a 6x8 screen. I feed ~ 2 cubes a day. I also have a SRO 3000 skimmer on ~150 gallon water volume. I'm hoping to stop gfo.

lol .... ya your probably right , maybe my screen is about 11" x 6" or 8" however i have a 180 mixed , heavily stocked , about 15 -20 fish and maybe about 50-60 pieces of coral , i have a total water volume of about 250 gal. im still having to use GFO .... im kicking around the idea of switching to bio pellets to reduce my NO3 AND PO4 ?

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you running the 10W LEDs, two on each side? I skimmed the thread and I don't see a pic of your current setup. Forgive me if I missed it - or do you have it on another thread? I saw one post where you said you were running 10 hrs/day?

lol .... ya your probably right , maybe my screen is about 11" x 6" or 8" however i have a 180 mixed , heavily stocked , about 15 -20 fish and maybe about 50-60 pieces of coral , i have a total water volume of about 250 gal. im still having to use GFO .... im kicking around the idea of switching to bio pellets to reduce my NO3 AND PO4 ?

Post some specs of your scrubber, might be something you can tweak. Size, lights, flow, photoperiod, etc.

freakit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a 20W LED going to be lighting one side of the 6x8 screen.

freakit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how it's looking.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423667877.335265.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423667891.800453.jpg

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a pretty good start, I would do 1 or 2 things at this point

1) swipe your palm across the screen while running under slow-running room-temp tap water to loosen any diatom or poorly attached type of growth

then, if you can optionally

2) scrape off some of the GHA by raking the backs of your fingernails across the screen, then rub & rinse again

freakit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a pretty good start, I would do 1 or 2 things at this point

1) swipe your palm across the screen while running under slow-running room-temp tap water to loosen any diatom or poorly attached type of growth

then, if you can optionally

2) scrape off some of the GHA by raking the backs of your fingernails across the screen, then rub & rinse again

Will do. I appreciate the help!

freakit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like my scrubber is taking off now.

Unlit side
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424119648.992250.jpg

Lit side
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424119677.577670.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back