My Beginner Build

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Looks like you have planned well! Good luck . It’s so addictive.

OP
OP
Bellebomb

Bellebomb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have hit a snag and need help. I was getting nervous because the brackets were pulling apart from the wall.

My husband ran to Home Depot and came home with these.
5A0FCFF7-B9E4-43CA-84ED-8E303A80A1AE.jpeg

After he pulls out the current mollies and puts these in, I see this:

4E3BE575-EAA1-4482-BB78-3D427E15FE72.jpeg

To me, it looks like the wall is now compromised in those settings.

We have a metal frame house on the interior, not wood.

I don’t want to put the light back up out of fear that it will rip out of the wall and I’ll be 10 steps backwards.

We can’t brace this to the ceiling as we have cathedral ceilings and the support beams run the opposite way with no room between the ceiling and the roof to cross support it.

I just went out and got a metal stud finder, and there are two metal studs on either side of the tank. Can I put a piece off wood across and anchor them to the metal studs and then attach the brackets to the wood and wall? (To help distribute the weight?)

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can build brace between those studs then mount to your spots on the brace . Man you guys are doing awesome !

OP
OP
Bellebomb

Bellebomb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it work without a support brace? They say they can hold 80lbs. He thinks it will be fine, but I’m a worst case scenario person, and worried the drywall is compromised because it’s bubbling.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it work without a support brace? They say they can hold 80lbs. He thinks it will be fine, but I’m a worst case scenario person, and worried the drywall is compromised because it’s bubbling.
@Bellebomb at the risk hearing “I told you so”, couple of quick thoughts. First, if you can drive screws (probably sheet metal screws or whatever works with metal studs) into the metal studs to secure the brackets or the brace that’s your best option. Guessing the studs are on 16” centers So you can probably find a few that will work for you. Second, I wouldn’t worry as much about the wall anchors. I’d worry more about the strength of the drywall. If the drywall is bulging I’m wondering how thick it is or how well it’s secured to the studs.

OP
OP
Bellebomb

Bellebomb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bellebomb at the risk hearing “I told you so”, couple of quick thoughts. First, if you can drive screws (probably sheet metal screws or whatever works with metal studs) into the metal studs to secure the brackets or the brace that’s your best option. Guessing the studs are on 16” centers So you can probably find a few that will work for you. Second, I wouldn’t worry as much about the wall anchors. I’d worry more about the strength of the drywall. If the drywall is bulging I’m wondering how thick it is or how well it’s secured to the studs.

I ended up moving the aquarium down and finding three metal studs to work with.

just need to hang the light back up.

7397AB91-8242-4219-99DB-32CADEA75D6C.jpeg

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is always better to have anything supporting the lights anchored to something solid and not just into the drywall. Good move on finding and hitting studs to hang the light from. It probably would not have been a problem the other way, but with something as important as your lighting it is better to be safe than sorry.

OP
OP
Bellebomb

Bellebomb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is up and running. The tunze ATO’s power cord is bad, so I’m waiting on them to send a replacement. I have a piece of love rock in there, but I’m considering using the Red Sea Mature cycling kit to jump start it a bit. Not sure how well it will work since I’m doing a bare bottom tank.
I did the power down test and filled 2/3rds of the sump.

Let me know your thoughts!! I take comments and criticism. Let me know where I can improve please ❤️
803E4138-38F7-4B48-AA7F-C93D6C6F98DC.jpeg

79E9D0B1-56E2-459E-AA8D-D4684345FAF4.jpeg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. I’m looking forward to this beast packed with sps. What are you planning on using for alk and ca once you have a need to supplement? Don’t forget to dip and check corals for pest. I’ve been there done that.

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean and great job on the plumbing! :cool:

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is looking Fantastic! And sump is really nice too.

OP
OP
Bellebomb

Bellebomb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. I’m looking forward to this beast packed with sps. What are you planning on using for alk and ca once you have a need to supplement? Don’t forget to dip and check corals for pest. I’ve been there done that.
I have dosed a small amount of alkalinity. But recently switched salts and haven’t had to since. Also doing smaller water changes weekly rather than larger biweekly.
When I do need to dose, I’ll most likely be using BRS’ line.
I dip it all with melafix (the pond strength).

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back