MY BREEDING PROJECTS

lennydablenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im starting this thread to use as a sort of breeding "journal", that I can share with my fellow amatuer marine breeders. I love to share my observations because there really isnt a huge interest yet like there is in corals. Information is sometimes difficult to find unless you have access to expensive peer reviewed journals with the really good studies from Universities from around the world. Information can also be secreted from hobbyist in order to keep turning a profit. My main goal is to educate people on things most people dont really get to see in good enough detail to appreciate. Here are some of the fish Ive been able to raise so far from eggs. As you can see I had alot of success with the Striped Blenny (Meicanthus Grammistes). They are quite an amusing fish to watch mate, spawn and just in general.

56022236980__78BA3050-C83E-48F3-93EE-32D43649AB92.JPG

I have two pairs of clownfish that have just started to spawn. My black or "Midnight" ocellaris pairs have just laid their first clutch of eggs which should be hatching either tonight or tomorrow night. Im excited to be able to raise some of these as you dont see alot of them in the hobby compared to some other hybrids. They are pure black and very cool looking especially in a tank with a lighter color anenome for vivid contrast. My clarkii clowns have been spaning for a couple of months. Ive had a spawn every two weeks like clockwork. Its very difficult getting the larvae past the first few days. The mortality rate has been very high for me and so far im just chalking that up to the fish still being kind of new to spawning. Most literature agrees that the first few spawns usually produce a weaker larvae, not able to with stand as much stress and not as developed as possible before hatching. Both the blenny and the clown fish eggs hatch after an 8 day incubation time. As the eggs develop, the eyes will start to form and shine as the eggs wave in the water column. The clowns and the blennies each are unique in they way they mate and spawn, however. That can be covered in a different post when i figure out how to post video.

IMG_0970.JPG

Ive been able to capture some incredible photography that I shoot with each project, so I will have much to share with information which may be useful to some hopefully. We all need to do our part to maintain our wild populations. We dont want to be responsible for wiping out wild species when its very possible for amatuer marine aquarists to propagate much of their own livestock with a little knowledge and mentoring. Im always happy to take questions and I do trade my livestock for frags if interested. Please check back frequently, as I will have some fresh posts frequently as soon as I get the hang of the R2R forum.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooh! I'm going to avidly follow this thread!

Protip: if you find a paper you want to read, if you email the author (and badger them for a few weeks with follow up emails bc professors are BUSY), they're usually nice enough to send you the paper you want.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back