My candy cane is a coral assassin

  • Thread starter Thread starter uhgster1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

uhgster1

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 2, 2015
Messages
993
Reaction score
1,535
Location
Clarksville, TN
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve kept candy canes since my first reef years ago. I didn’t think they were hyper aggressive in anyway. I thought that they didn’t have sweepers, more like just elongated regular tentacles. Was I wrong. I had a favia growing about three inches away from my colony when I noticed that it was dying. The candy cane tentacles are usually 1-1 1/2 inches at most so I didn’t bat an eye at it. But then I caught this.
D2AD3E53-A301-4001-8F54-C9C7A8037B9B.jpeg
54680ACE-008D-494B-B242-EF3A931AEF83.jpeg

It doesn’t even look remotely like a candy cane tentacles yet there it is. About six inches long. Such is life. So yes, candy canes have serious sweepers so keep that in consideration when you place it.
 
Most LPS have sweepers or stingers. Always best to provide a 3-4” clearance around them
 
I had three colors of candy canes - Green, blue, purple w/ green centers.

The only aggressive ones were the purple w/ green centers (looks like you have those as well). My purple ones even took out the green candy cane that was growing a few inches away.
 
Pretty sure that color is the only ones with long sweepers. I have a clear set wwith tons of stuff literally on top of them with no issues
 
Ya my purple and green is mean as hell but doesn’t seem to be able to totally kill off the SPS I have around it and the monti was fighting back.

It did almost kill a green candy cane I had. I moved that one away.
 
I know this post is older, but I will say the teal ones are mean as hell. Took out my green candy cane as well as a mutant menace favia. I would have never guessed it was this candy cane causing issues. I thought my tank was starting to experience some wild bacteria causing jelly. But no it was the stingers on this candy cane. Silent but deadly has a new face. I attached a video
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0770.mov
    24.6 MB

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new