My cleaner shrimp died

macboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of no apparent reasons last night. The body was found this morning no apparent injuries either.

Haven't tested the water parameters yet but everything else: SPS, zoa, mushrooms, sea cucumbers, crabs, snails are fine.

The only suspect is a neon dottyback, however they've been housed together for more than 2 months and I have never caught the dottyback bothering the shrimp. The dottyback didn't show any interests in the shrimp's body either.

So, what do you all think?

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it wasn't just a molt? Check again for the shrimp (shrimp are most vulnerable to predators during and after molts so it may be hiding)

OP
OP
M

macboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was your last water change? What size protein skimmer do you have?

10% Water change 2 weeks ago. No skimmer. I tested everything is good. Ammonia nitrite nitrate all 0.

Don't have a skimmer. 34 gallon with 20g sump.

OP
OP
M

macboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it wasn't just a molt? Check again for the shrimp (shrimp are most vulnerable to predators during and after molts so it may be hiding)

Unfortunately not molt I pulled him out and inspected him thoroughly.

Butitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10% Water change 2 weeks ago. No skimmer. I tested everything is good. Ammonia nitrite nitrate all 0.

Don't have a skimmer. 34 gallon with 20g sump.
What brand of test kit you used with a result of all zero?
aside from predatory tank mates, shrips can't tolerate poor water quality of high nitrate.

CORALUST

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a decent water change schedule. Could consider checking your testing kit.. nitrates are never 0. If you only had one invertebrate die it could be a fluke. You could also think about dosing iodine,,, many recommend using a test kit for iodine before you dose.

Good luck and continued happy reefing. Hope this was an isolated case.

OP
OP
M

macboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a decent water change schedule. Could consider checking your testing kit.. nitrates are never 0. If you only had one invertebrate die it could be a fluke. You could also think about dosing iodine,,, many recommend using a test kit for iodine before you dose.

Good luck and continued happy reefing. Hope this was an isolated case.

Thanks. I was thinking dosing iodine anyway. But the shrimp was fat and happy the day before, he came out ate 3-4 pellets. That's why his death puzzles me.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back