My cleaner shrimp had eggs!

bremort93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I noticed my cleaner shrimp had these green things under its tail.. I Google eggs and it was obvious that that's what it was.. today I got up and looked to see the eggs again and they were gone?! I did some reading yesterday it said that it takes about 2wks for the shrimp to release eggs. But it's only been a day and there gone. There's no way it could've had the eggs that long as much as I observe my aquarium I would have noticed.. have they ever been known to place eggs in rocks? Or do they carry them the whole time? Is it possible one of the fish would have nipped the eggs off of her?

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't recall off the top of my head but I believe when they are green they are ready to hatch
They may have been released last night and unfortunately became a late night snack for the tank mates or filter:(

OP
OP
bremort93

bremort93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no!! Lol.. I would say the fish... if they were in there I would be able to see them? Are they smaller then copepods? When will she have them again?

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
smaller than copepods for sure, but not invisible they always swim for the surface of the water or wherever there is light. but if there are no eggs she's probably already released them. don't worry too much they are very difficult i actually believe impossible to rear in captivity. but very good for you fish lol

Oh no!! Lol.. I would say the fish... if they were in there I would be able to see them? Are they smaller then copepods? When will she have them again?

OP
OP
bremort93

bremort93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
smaller than copepods for sure, but not invisible they always swim for the surface of the water or wherever there is light. but if there are no eggs she's probably already released them. don't worry too much they are very difficult i actually believe impossible to rear in captivity. but very good for you fish lol
That's good news lol.. still would like to get a few to put in empty tank just to see what they'll do.. thank yu!!!

Lrood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp larvae should be easily visible to the eye, but likely are all either eaten or filtered out. They tend to congregate towards the top, attracted to light. My peppermint shrimp larvae at day 1 are about 2-3mm in length.
IMG_3137_zps2210eff2.jpg

OP
OP
bremort93

bremort93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp larvae should be easily visible to the eye, but likely are all either eaten or filtered out. They tend to congregate towards the top, attracted to light. My peppermint shrimp larvae at day 1 are about 2-3mm in length.
IMG_3137_zps2210eff2.jpg
That's awesome!! What do yu feed the babies and how will I know if she's about to have eggs? When the eggs are green that means that they are gone already?

Lrood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of day old larvae taken just with an iphone. I have only raised peppermint shrimp. Some cleaner shrimp (such as skunk) have really long larval phases, on the order of 4-6 months! Peppermint shrimp usually have a larval stage of about 1 month until settlement. They can be fed nhbbs until they are in larger larval stages, then can have crumbled flake foods and larger live brine shrimp.

Good luck with yours!

Ryengoth

I wish I was in St John USVI
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been through several larvae releases and have tried over and over to keep some for trial propagation, but I usually end up getting the setup wrong. I have 1 skunk cleaner with eggs ready to go and am thinking about a return-overflow setup on my 30G sump. A 1g tank or a large tupperware container sitting directly over the center chamber of my sump. I can cover the top with filter pad (blue/white) and diffuse water flow through the filter media from my carbon reactor. It'll flow in and overflow back into the sump. Any issues to look for something like this? I've reared all kinds of fresh water inverts and verts and it frustrates me so much to not be able to at least spawn and bring 1/10th of that kind of larvae release to juvi age. It's like a snow storm of feeding frenzy when the peppermints spawn.

meggey321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of day old larvae taken just with an iphone. I have only raised peppermint shrimp. Some cleaner shrimp (such as skunk) have really long larval phases, on the order of 4-6 months! Peppermint shrimp usually have a larval stage of about 1 month until settlement. They can be fed nhbbs until they are in larger larval stages, then can have crumbled flake foods and larger live brine shrimp.

Good luck with yours!

That’s awesome! I actually have a pair of cleaner and they seem to always have eggs. I’m very interested is hatching the eggs and reading them. I’m just unsure on how to to keep the little ones alive. If you don’t mind would you reach out to me and let me know you do to keep them alive and food etc…
Thanks
239-823-7048

Carolyn's Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome! I actually have a pair of cleaner and they seem to always have eggs. I’m very interested is hatching the eggs and reading them. I’m just unsure on how to to keep the little ones alive. If you don’t mind would you reach out to me and let me know you do to keep them alive and food etc…
Thanks
239-823-7048
Hey! I just saw you lived in the Cape. I am actually in Lehigh Acres. So I am not far from you! I am trying right now to raise Skunk, Blood, and Peppermint shrimp. I am trying to document the progress. I am looking into better camera possibly getting microscope version. Here is my 1st video

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back