My clownfish had swim bladder problems

sam tavo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 3 weeks ago I lost my wrasse to what i thought was just a regular sickness it was stuck under as rock and died the next day after i found it it couldnt swim and was gasping for air at the top. I didnt think anything of it becuase i hadnt added anything new besides some snails a few days prior. But now the same thing has happned to my clown its hiding in a corner and cant swim upwards. I did some reaserch and have started feeding it by hand. It started today when I couldnt find him when I fed the fish. When I started looking I found him and feared the worst that he was going to die but i believe since the wrasse was missing for a couple days it died of starvation so I am goimg to hand feed the clown but I dont know how to treat the clown any ideas?

OP
OP
S

sam tavo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic

Any pics of the fish? Any signs of disease?

Do you have a skimmer? What do you do for gas exchange?
image.jpg

I have a skimmer and he looks fine but I noticed he was gasping a little he was able to swim up for a second if I touched him. Is a gas exchange a flow maker if so he’s I have one a return pump and a regular one

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell from the picture whether your fish looks pale because of the glass needs to be cleaned? or better lighting is needed? Suggest you take some more pictures and read the below. The fish medics will need your water parameters, age of tank and was the fish quarantined? Could something have died in the tank to create ammonia? Suggest you add some Poly Filter as a precaution. It won't hurt to put an air stone in the tank until you get to the bottom of what is going on. @Jay Hemdal

Be prepared to set up a hospital tank.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
a skimmer would be your primary gas exchange than , along with your powerhead.

agreed with above, not sure its your glass or the fish but it does like sick.

Please describe the fish behavior and skin texture .... such as white dots , sugar like coating , etc

OP
OP
S

sam tavo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The

Please describe the fish behavior and skin texture .... such as white dots , sugar like coating , etc
fish looks normal it’s always been that pale I’ve had the tank for 11 months and the clowns for the same time they’ve been fine I’m going to test the parameters and get back to you

OP
OP
S

sam tavo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell from the picture whether your fish looks pale because of the glass needs to be cleaned? or better lighting is needed? Suggest you take some more pictures and read the below. The fish medics will need your water parameters, age of tank and was the fish quarantined? Could something have died in the tank to create ammonia? Suggest you add some Poly Filter as a precaution. It won't hurt to put an air stone in the tank until you get to the bottom of what is going on. @Jay Hemdal

Be prepared to set up a hospital tank.

The parameters are .25 ammonia 0 nitrite .25 nitrate 8 ph .25 phosphate Alkalinity is about 107.4-125.3 the salinity is 1.024

OP
OP
S

sam tavo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The parameters are .25 ammonia 0 nitrite .25 nitrate 8 ph .25 phosphate Alkalinity is about 107.4-125.3 the salinity is 1.024

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do use api but the ammonia is usually at zero for the test kits for but I’ve been feeding more to combat Dinos
You need to get your ammonia to zero. I suggest water change(s), add Poly Filter and or use Seachem Prime (which will bind ammonia for 48 hours only). Your LFS may carry Poly Filter.

( When you get some time, I suggest you take a look at Bulk Reef Supply videos on Youtube on just about all things reefing. )

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This fish has a heavy bacterial issue and there is something going on in the water, likely high nitrate. For dinos..... you will need to turn off all lights (leave blue at 15% if coral present) and add 1.5ml of liquid bacteria for 5 days such as Micro Bacter 7 and at night, add 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide for 7 days and leave skimmer running but empty cup and clean filters daily.
Siphon as needed and start with siphoning before starting the above. Fish should be added to a quarantine tank and treated with ruby rally pro or at least seachem Kanaplex but rally should address a few issues

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back