My clowns acting weird, ammonia or oxygen?

Volv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm very new here but I was hoping I could get some help with my recent issue.

I started my nano tank end of last year and had a pair of clowns and some inverts in 10 gallon. Never any issues, even though my clowns were eating like pigs.
Recently I moved everyone to a new 10 gallon tank (of course cycled beforehand). I may have moved too many creatures too fast because now my API test is showing 0.25 ammonia. I heard about the bad ammonia readings on API tests, but I always had perfect 0 before with them.

I did big water changes, added more bacteria and got Seachem Ammonia Alerts - they show 0 but API is still showing 0.25.

All my inverts, bta and two easy corals (Xenia and chalice) seem to be doing perfectly fine but my clowns are a bit weird. Every morning they're gaping with open mouth, don't eat as much as they used to. Sometimes they won't eat, sometimes they will but not as crazy eagerly anymore. In the evening they're breathing normally. Other than that they're acting fine.

I only have a small powerhead and Tunze nano filter 3161 there. Could it be oxygen issue?

For now I keep up with water changes, positioned wave maker towards the surface to make as much aeration as possible and added Tunze skimmer 9001 temporarily to hopefully help but to be honest I'm not sure what could be the issue exactly.

Any advice appreciated, I want to give my guys a good life. Thank you!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, welcome to the reef... :)
Can you post short video of clowns, pics ,will help experts access.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello, I'm very new here but I was hoping I could get some help with my recent issue.

I started my nano tank end of last year and had a pair of clowns and some inverts in 10 gallon. Never any issues, even though my clowns were eating like pigs.
Recently I moved everyone to a new 10 gallon tank (of course cycled beforehand). I may have moved too many creatures too fast because now my API test is showing 0.25 ammonia. I heard about the bad ammonia readings on API tests, but I always had perfect 0 before with them.

I did big water changes, added more bacteria and got Seachem Ammonia Alerts - they show 0 but API is still showing 0.25.

All my inverts, bta and two easy corals (Xenia and chalice) seem to be doing perfectly fine but my clowns are a bit weird. Every morning they're gaping with open mouth, don't eat as much as they used to. Sometimes they won't eat, sometimes they will but not as crazy eagerly anymore. In the evening they're breathing normally. Other than that they're acting fine.

I only have a small powerhead and Tunze nano filter 3161 there. Could it be oxygen issue?

For now I keep up with water changes, positioned wave maker towards the surface to make as much aeration as possible and added Tunze skimmer 9001 temporarily to hopefully help but to be honest I'm not sure what could be the issue exactly.

Any advice appreciated, I want to give my guys a good life. Thank you!
Please posts pics and videos under white lighting for best assessment. If video- at least 24 secs in length.
tests may show false readings but assumption.
If O2 issue, fish will be sluggish and gasping at top. Adding an airstone for added oxygen will help greatly should o2 be an issue

OP
OP
Volv

Volv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to the reef... :)
Can you post short video of clowns, pics ,will help experts access.

Please posts pics and videos under white lighting for best assessment. If video- at least 24 secs in length.
tests may show false readings but assumption.
If O2 issue, fish will be sluggish and gasping at top. Adding an airstone for added oxygen will help greatly should o2 be an issue
Thank you for your replies!

I will record videos in the morning then. They don't gasp at the top but I have a spare airstone and pump, so I will add when I come back home just to be safe!

OP
OP
Volv

Volv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I wanted to take a video, but since I asked the question they just stoped gaping and started acting mostly normal. I guess all the things I did helped, whatever was the problem.

They're still not as eager to eat as they used to be (they used to be little vacuum cleaners, no food piece left uneaten, and fast!) and male spits out most of his food.

I'm attaching feeding video, but as sad as it is to see I'm obviously not that worried anymore. :)

OP
OP
Volv

Volv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying with a video again from the PC. Sorry for posting several continuous messages in a row.

They look fine to me but won't mind a second opinion, especially with the boy spitting out most of his food.

Attachments

• VID_20230724_083512644.mp4
    24.9 MB

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 49 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back