My Current QT Process

Wowkuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 I wrote this specifically on how to deal with treating a bacterial disease + something else: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/the-bacterial-infection-predicament.315/

OK, I've read it. Should I stop the GC soaked foods for now?

Basically. You covered a bunch of stuff in that thread. BUT you haven't really touched base with what I'm doing exactly. Currently. I'm at a therapeutic Cu level, and already started dosing kanaplex and furan 2. Fed ONCE GC soaked food (with focus)....shall I eliminate something for the time being? I feel like I'm already doing too much with this poor little guy. @Humblefish

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I've read it. Should I stop the GC soaked foods for now?

Basically. You covered a bunch of stuff in that thread. BUT you haven't really touched base with what I'm doing exactly. Currently. I'm at a therapeutic Cu level, and already started dosing kanaplex and furan 2. Fed ONCE GC soaked food (with focus)....shall I eliminate something for the time being? I feel like I'm already doing too much with this poor little guy. @Humblefish

I might have missed this, but have you seen evidence that he has intestinal worms? (Namely, white stringy poop?)

Also, how many days has he been in therapeutic copper?

Wowkuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have missed this, but have you seen evidence that he has intestinal worms? (Namely, white stringy poop?)

Also, how many days has he been in therapeutic copper?

No I haven't seen any white stringy poop. Heck i still havent seen him poop. I started GC basically because I'm trying to mimic @HotRocks QT protocal. So far hes been in copper for 4 days now

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I haven't seen any white stringy poop. Heck i still havent seen him poop. I started GC basically because I'm trying to mimic @HotRocks QT protocal. So far hes been in copper for 4 days now

I would stop food soaking GC then (one less med).

I would continue to treat with copper + ABX for 10 days. If he still has the infection in 10 days, transfer him into another QT and dose just antibiotics. The presence of copper (an immunosuppressant) could be the thing preventing him from fully overcoming the bacterial infection.

Wowkuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop food soaking GC then (one less med).

I would continue to treat with copper + ABX for 10 days. If he still has the infection in 10 days, transfer him into another QT and dose just antibiotics. The presence of copper (an immunosuppressant) could be the thing preventing him from fully overcoming the bacterial infection.
I'll stop feeding GC

His eye looks way better already after 24hrs so its working. I'll stay on top of doing furan and kanaplex and copper for 10days. I don't have another QT. I do however have a holding tank where my 4 other tangs are which previously been treated in copper. (DT is fallow) The tank they're in is medication free and it SHOULD be parasite free as well. Would it be a bad idea to transfer him to the other tank with the 4 tangs after 10 days? I feel like it might be.

@Humblefish

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll stop feeding GC

His eye looks way better already after 24hrs so its working. I'll stay on top of doing furan and kanaplex and copper for 10days. I don't have another QT. I do however have a holding tank where my 4 other tangs are which previously been treated in copper. (DT is fallow) The tank they're in is medication free and it SHOULD be parasite free as well. Would it be a bad idea to transfer him to the other tank with the 4 tangs after 10 days? I feel like it might be.

@Humblefish

I wouldn't risk the health of your 4 other tangs for just one fish. Sorry, sometimes hard choices have to be made.

dcinky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be okay to use siporax seeded from DT as filtration media in a QT?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be okay to use siporax seeded from DT as filtration media in a QT?
I have never used siporax. So I can't tell you if it would absorb medications or not in QT.

@Humblefish
@4FordFamily
@Big G
@Maritimer

Have any of you guys ever used siporax in a QT setting?

I know @Humblefish has tested ceramic media like seachem matrix and didn't experience any copper absorption etc. I have used fluval biomax without any absorption as well. It appears that siporax is made of glass, so I do not see any reason that it would be an issue.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve not used it, sorry I am not more help. Glass doesn’t seem like a great place for colonies but I don’t know

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used siporax. So I can't tell you if it would absorb medications or not in QT.

@Humblefish
@4FordFamily
@Big G
@Maritimer

I know @Humblefish has tested ceramic media like seachem matrix and didn't experience any copper absorption etc. I have used fluval biomax without any absorption as well. It appears that siporax is made of glass, so I do not see any reason that it would be an issue.
I have used it. It doesn’t absorb chelated copper. Lots of surface area for good bacteria.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Humblefish
@4FordFamily
@Big G
@Maritimer

Tested BioMax and found no absorption. If the OP has a Hanna and is dosing copper this would be a great opportunity to test and if goes well, to add another bio media to our toolbox. Try it and let us know the results.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested BioMax and found no absorption. If the OP has a Hanna and is dosing copper this would be a great opportunity to test and if goes well, to add another bio media to our toolbox. Try it and let us know the results.
I have a Hanna,some siporax, and am quarantining right now. How much siporax should I throw in? I have a HOB. Just put some in there?

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Hanna,some siporax, and am quarantining right now. How much siporax should I throw in? I have a HOB. Just put some in there?

1/2 liter per fifty gallons for the small rings if I remember correctly. Check the box it should have the recommendation.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these bags approx 4" x 8" with coarse mesh, and fill them with enough BioMax so that there is a decent fit in the HOB. You want enough water flowing through the bags with the media and not around the bag missing the media. Always keep a bag soaking in my sump. Needs to soak for a couple of weeks at least to get a good colony build up on the media.
Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 1.13.16 PM.png

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. Earlier in the thread, I think @HotRocks said to re-freeze any GC and Focus soaked food that would not be used within 5 days. Is that correct? Freezing the medication soaked food does not destroy the medication?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. Earlier in the thread, I think @HotRocks said to re-freeze any GC and Focus soaked food that would not be used within 5 days. Is that correct? Freezing the medication soaked food does not destroy the medication?
It shouldn’t destroy the medication, I wouldn’t think. It would have to damage the compounds and I don’t see that happening. I could be wrong.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just skimmed the last page sorry if I'm ill informed but as I read it, you are using siporax from your fallow.dt to seed a qt? While.the siporax may be safe, it also may harbor encysted parasites.

I would use clean media and.bottled bacteria to seed a qt

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Freezing medication will not lessen its effect. Just be sure the food is completely thawed before using it again.

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Humblefish
@4FordFamily
@Big G
@Maritimer

@HotRocks

Any advice on quarantine for anthias? Seems like I read something from you in another thread about switched up your method due to their susceptibility to uronema?

My first quarantine will be 3 bimac anthias and 2 captive bred davinchi clowns.

Thanks,

Nick

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back