My Current QT Process

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @HotRocks

I am starting a pair of A. occelaris on your protocol. I just want to ask a couple of questions, although only one is directly about the QT...

Is the medicated feeding portion of the regimen once per day, or every feeding if I want to feed more than once per day? I have LRS Nano Reef Frenzy on hand to be the vehicle for the Focus and GC, and will feed this combo every morning.

I also wanted to alternate between Chroma Boost, live black or Grindal worms and a shaved clam and mussel mix in the evenings. Is this OK, or should I feed nothing but medicated LRS for the entire 14 days?

You also mentioned feeding refrigerated black worms plankton a ways bac, and that is something I have not heard of. Is that one of the pre bottled ones, and if so, what specifically are you using for that? It sounds like an easy way to boost the nutritional profile of the worms...

Thanks
Scott

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @HotRocks

I am starting a pair of A. occelaris on your protocol. I just want to ask a couple of questions, although only one is directly about the QT...

Is the medicated feeding portion of the regimen once per day, or every feeding if I want to feed more than once per day? I have LRS Nano Reef Frenzy on hand to be the vehicle for the Focus and GC, and will feed this combo every morning.

I also wanted to alternate between Chroma Boost, live black or Grindal worms and a shaved clam and mussel mix in the evenings. Is this OK, or should I feed nothing but medicated LRS for the entire 14 days?

You also mentioned feeding refrigerated black worms plankton a ways bac, and that is something I have not heard of. Is that one of the pre bottled ones, and if so, what specifically are you using for that? It sounds like an easy way to boost the nutritional profile of the worms...

Thanks
Scott
The once a day medicated food is suffecient. Your other feeding does not need to be medicated food.

The best plankton source for blackworms would be changing the water they are kept in with water from a FW aquarium. You could also put a small bit of a frozen source in tapwater as well. Whatever is easiest.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The once a day medicated food is suffecient. Your other feeding does not need to be medicated food.

The best plankton source for blackworms would be changing the water they are kept in with water from a FW aquarium. You could also put a small bit of a frozen source in tapwater as well. Whatever is easiest.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a long established SE Asia community tank that would be a perfect source for the plankton...

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could you feed 2-3x per day with the medicated food? Or would that overdose the medication?

Thanks

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you feed 2-3x per day with the medicated food? Or would that overdose the medication?

Thanks
I fed 3 times per day with medicated food for two separate quarantines now. Both for 14 days.

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks If you noticed a fish (Genicanthus Angel) had marine velvet, would you still follow your 2 tank method after keeping the fish at 1.75 for 14 days, or adjust the process? If so, what would you do?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks If you noticed a fish (Genicanthus Angel) had marine velvet, would you still follow your 2 tank method after keeping the fish at 1.75 for 14 days, or adjust the process? If so, what would you do?
Same exact method yes. I would also do a 5min FW dip and 90 bath in acriflavine.

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same exact method yes. I would also do a 5min FW dip and 90 bath in acriflavine.

Understood. I've already done a 5min FW bath, and after raising copper to 1.5ppm within 24 hours I'm no longer seeing the velvet spots on its body. I've since raised copper all the way to 1.75 and will be maintaining it for 14 days.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to this.

Most of us use QT procedures assuming that the fish carry these parasites. Unless you are treating life threatening symptoms there should be no reason to change the methodology.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever used this copper treatment on a lionfish? Debating between a fu Manchu or a yellow fuzzy dwarf (not sure that the type matters). If not copper, can the other medications be used in conjunction with CP?

Salty Irishman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this recently in a few different tangs.

I would recommend Sulfaplex or API triple Sulfa. Any med that contains Sulfathiazole. It seems to work best with infections around or near the mouth. You could also combine it with kanamycin (Kanaplex) and Nirtofurazone (Furan-2). That would give you a nice wide range of coverage.
It's been 3 weeks of Sulfaplex and Neoplex and while his/her mouth seems a bit better still not healed. It actually looks to be sloughing off the upper lip? What are your thoughts? Continue or switch meds? Quick 45 second video of progress here. Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever used this copper treatment on a lionfish? Debating between a fu Manchu or a yellow fuzzy dwarf (not sure that the type matters). If not copper, can the other medications be used in conjunction with CP?
I would use CP on a lionfish.

You can use antibiotics or general cure in conjunction with CP as well.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been 3 weeks of Sulfaplex and Neoplex and while his/her mouth seems a bit better still not healed. It actually looks to be sloughing off the upper lip? What are your thoughts? Continue or switch meds? Quick 45 second video of progress here. Thanks for your help!
Is the fish eating well?

Salty Irishman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the fish eating well?
Eating like a horse inhaling frozen food and will do so all day long. For the 1st 2 weeks I used GC & Focus in the frozen food and now just straight frozen. I will say he doesn't eat seaweed or algae like you'd think a tang would however, could be because of his sore mouth and having to rip it off the clip. Anything he can inhale w/out chewing is no problem. Don't let him fool you by laying so docile in that tube, I got lucky. Typically he's out cruising all day looking like FEED ME!

Last edited:

Salty Irishman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eating like a horse inhaling frozen food and will do so all day long. For the 1st 2 weeks I used GC & Focus in the frozen food and now just straight frozen. I will say he doesn't eat seaweed or algae like you'd think a tang would however, could be because of his sore mouth and having to rip it off the clip. Anything he can inhale w/out chewing is no problem. Don't let him fool you by laying so docile in that tube, I got lucky. Typically he's out cruising all day looking like FEED ME!
Well today's a new day and for the first time he doesn't seem to be himself. Not cruising looking for food and doesn't seem to have much of an appetite either. Another change is his color. Doesn't have that stressed dark color but more what he's actually suppose to look like.

Tang.PNG

SteveC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologise if this has been answered before ( I did look ).

I’m struggling to comprehend a couple of things. I’m currently 19 days into cupramine. But concerned about the last 10 days....... it’s a Gem Tang. He is well at the moment.

Firstly, I understand that the tomont can survive copper treatment. So, if at the end of 30 days copper is reduced to zero then tomites can be released back into the water and the cycle begins again. Is my thinking right?

If so, then it makes sense to remove the fish now to the sterile QT without any tomonts as per the 14 day treatment.

I think there must be something wrong with my thoughts on the copper not killing tomonts otherwise QT for 30 days does not compute! But having said that I thought the 14 day transfer method was done to avoid tomonts in the original QT tank.

Please tell me I’m not going mad!

Regards steve

SteveC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve found my answer, I thought there was only one tank required for the 30 day treatment. It requires two tanks ( hospital / QT )

I’m only a bit mad

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only one tank is required for 30-day copper treatment. I asked this same question in the copper treatment thread:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/copper-treatment.193343/page-5#post-4937589

It seems that this is sufficient because most tomonts have released all their free swimmers within 30 days.

I don't want to take the risk of having the strains where the tomonts take longer than 30 days to release their swimmers, so I transfer to a new sterile tank at 14 days.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 41.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back