My Current QT Process

chrishet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per your process I am through CP treatment and now have started GC in a new tank. I dosed the recommended amount of GC day one (2 packets for my 20L), then 48 hours later dosed again per the instructions (2 more packets). 40 hours later do a 25% water change. When you refer to 2 rounds of GC is this what you are recommending? or are you saying do this protocol over again? if so any recommendation on when to start the second round? Thx! Awesome Process!

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per your process I am through CP treatment and now have started GC in a new tank. I dosed the recommended amount of GC day one (2 packets for my 20L), then 48 hours later dosed again per the instructions (2 more packets). 40 hours later do a 25% water change. When you refer to 2 rounds of GC is this what you are recommending? or are you saying do this protocol over again? if so any recommendation on when to start the second round? Thx! Awesome Process!
GC is two total doses. I don't follow the instructions on the package. I space the 2 doses 5-7 days apart instead of the recommendation on the package of 48hrs.

The reason is if flukes are present the praziquantel in GC only kills flukes, not fluke eggs. So the larger gap allows any eggs to hatch, then to be taken care of with the second dose.

In your situation I would Do another WC and do a 3rd dose 5-7 days from when the first dose was administered.

RUGDOG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:(;Facepalm Overwhelming! After trying to read this I am better off putting fish straight in the tank.
I dang sure would kill them before they got there otherwise!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:(;Facepalm Overwhelming! After trying to read this I am better off putting fish straight in the tank.
I dang sure would kill them before they got there otherwise!
I’m.... not following.... at all...?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s overwhelmed by the amount of info/discussion on this thread, I’m assuming.
Well first page would be my suggestion :)

RUGDOG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m.... not following.... at all...?
Can’t see me doing it. Feel like I need a MD, PHD.
I start to think ok that makes sense. I can order a,b,c and do this.
Then read on and might stop and do d , pick up some e just in case...
Never add f with b .. immediate death is inevitable. Probably should have had g, h, I on hand but only after restarting with abc.
I need to quit reading and order a few things and just do it I guess.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never add f with b .. immediate death is inevitable. Probably should have had g, h, I on hand but only after restarting with abc.
Sorry, believe me it was a lot harder to develop
than it was to type. We try!

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stick with the original post for prophylactic treatment. The thread is full of people asking questions about certain occurrences once they start the process and sometimes it required adaptation in order for success.

Feel free to PM me or @4FordFamily throughout the process.

RUGDOG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty then, between page one and humbles list of bare essentials I have carts full at two different vendors. Y’all may block my old dumb a@# before it is over!
Been keeping saltwater for 30 years and never done this. I have been out for a year or two and started researching this mostly because I wanted to treat and quarantine coral.

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the garlic, are you actually using garlic from the grocery store or something like Seachem garlic guard?

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks or @4FordFamily with this protocol, is there any reason to freshwater dip?

Also, when you make the tank transfer, do you have to use all new equipment, or can you use the same heater and pumps, as an example? I would use a new filter and biospira.

Thank you!

Last edited:

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks or @4FordFamily with this protocol, is there any reason to freshwater dip?

Also, when you make the tank transfer, do you have to use all new equipment, or can you use the same heater and pumps, as an example? I would use a new filter and biospira.

Thank you!
The transfer tank needs completely sterilized equipment for this to work. I would have two sets of everything and sterilize in-between with bleach water.

Freshwater dips aren't needed unless you suspect flukes remain, they're useful for identifying flukes on fish.

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The transfer tank needs completely sterilized equipment for this to work. I would have two sets of everything and sterilize in-between with bleach water.

Freshwater dips aren't needed unless you suspect flukes remain, they're useful for identifying flukes on fish.

Thank you.

FREAKINRICAN69

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yikes! I have a lot to learn. I want to QT but seems very complex. This is more like a Hospital tank if the term i'm using is incorrect please advise as i'm new to this forum and i'm interested in QT new adds to my soon to be 120 gal. I have a 120 already running and don't like the idea of no quarantine as my cuzo does.

aruns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I mix the frozen food (mysis and krill) with GC and focus, it becomes a thick slurry. Won't the meds disperse in the water quickly this way?

Also, would the dosage , especially for CP, be unchanged if the fish are juveniles. In my mind, I am relating it to how our kids are given smaller doses.

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I mix the frozen food (mysis and krill) with GC and focus, it becomes a thick slurry. Won't the meds disperse in the water quickly this way?

Also, would the dosage , especially for CP, be unchanged if the fish are juveniles. In my mind, I am relating it to how our kids are given smaller doses.

The Focus is binding itself and the GC to the food. It won't disperse enough to be ineffective.

As far as dosage of CP goes, the dose is to kill the parasite. It has nothing to do with the fish.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 71.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back