My Current QT Process

gonefishin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Focus is binding itself and the GC to the food. It won't disperse enough to be ineffective.

As far as dosage of CP goes, the dose is to kill the parasite. It has nothing to do with the fish.
After to combine the food with GC and Focus do you re freeze what you dont use?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put some anthias into a QT tank but not pre dosed with 1ppm of copper as instructed. Should i be ok to dose the tank to 1ppm without any ramp up time? Then take the few days for 1.5- 1.75?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put some anthias into a QT tank but not pre dosed with 1ppm of copper as instructed. Should i be ok to dose the tank to 1ppm without any ramp up time? Then take the few days for 1.5- 1.75?
Yes, it's essentially the same as float and release into 1.0ppm.

chrishet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. Any idea what is going on with this tang? Those spots on her face just showed up after my dosing with QC 24 hours ago....they have have been there sooner but I didn't notice.
1M4A0782.jpg

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ready4Launch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A question about the first message from the OP in this thread ... is it the most up to date process?

I only ask, because it looks like the original post was Oct2018, then edited in Nov2018, and there are 26 pages since Oct2018.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A question about the first message from the OP in this thread ... is it the most up to date process?

I only ask, because it looks like the original post was Oct2018, then edited in Nov2018, and there are 26 pages since Oct2018.
This process should work fine for you.

Recently I have done things a bit different. Acclimating fish directly into 1.5ppm copper power and ramping the rest of the way to 1.75ppm the next day (further reducing the overall time they spend in copper). I just want to repeat this with as many batches/fish as possible before updating my thread to be sure people have good info that works.

Also been dosing metro (for 10 days) with the copper in order to cover Brook and Uronema prophylactically.

Also have been using GC with copper if flukes are present instead of post copper. (I just swap it out with two of the metro doses) Day 3 and day 9, or Day 1 and day 7.

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Recently I have done things a bit different. Acclimating fish directly into 1.5ppm copper power and ramping the rest of the way to 1.75ppm the next day (further reducing the overall time they spend in copper). I just want to repeat this with as many batches/fish as possible before updating my thread to be sure people have good info that works.

Also been dosing metro (for 10 days) with the copper in order to cover Brook and Uronema prophylactically.

Also have been using GC with copper if flukes are present instead of post copper. (I just swap it out with two of the metro doses) Day 3 and day 9, or Day 1 and day 7.

I like the idea of reducing copper time as well...you’ve had pretty good success with going right into 1.5 ppm copper? Maybe I’ll try that as it saves 1-2 days.

Ready4Launch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok - some other quick question/confirmation...

If you're dosing copper along with all the other meds together and you get ammonia, then how do we reduce ammonia if you cant add Prime?? Just water change? But, then you'll have to add water AND then bring up the total therapeutic levels again? Do I have that right?

As far as cycling goes...if i have a sponge in my sump for some considerable time and put the sponge in the HOB and then add some Dr. Tim's, then is doing all that 2 days before I get fish okay? I was reading threads with people talking about cycling QT tanks for periods of time, but I thought I read many others that setup their QT the day before and away they went. I don't want to have a second and third tank up and running and requiring upkeep all the time. Only as I need them.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - some other quick question/confirmation...

If you're dosing copper along with all the other meds together and you get ammonia, then how do we reduce ammonia if you cant add Prime?? Just water change? But, then you'll have to add water AND then bring up the total therapeutic levels again? Do I have that right?

As far as cycling goes...if i have a sponge in my sump for some considerable time and put the sponge in the HOB and then add some Dr. Tim's, then is doing all that 2 days before I get fish okay? I was reading threads with people talking about cycling QT tanks for periods of time, but I thought I read many others that setup their QT the day before and away they went. I don't want to have a second and third tank up and running and requiring upkeep all the time. Only as I need them.

If you have to do WC's for ammonia you it is very important to predose the copper to the newly mixed water before you add it to the tank.
GC and Metro would not be re-dosed, you would just want to do any WC right before scheduled dosing of meds so that concentrations are correct.

I prefer biospira over Dr tims. It works much better. You can start tanks 48 hours before needed and dose the Biospira and shouldn't have any ammonia issues. If you have a heavy bioload then it may be necessary to start them a week prior to needing them.

gonefishin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this has been answered but if a fish has been in a system for an extended period of time and showed no signs of illness would it be safe to say you can rule out diseases like Brook, uronema, and fluke? I know they can still be a carrier of ich so copper is a must but could I eliminate using GC and/or Mez when QT?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this has been answered but if a fish has been in a system for an extended period of time and showed no signs of illness would it be safe to say you can rule out diseases like Brook, uronema, and fluke? I know they can still be a carrier of ich so copper is a must but could I eliminate using GC and/or Mez when QT?
You can usually take care of flukes with GC. Uronema and Brook would take up to 10 days of metronidazole. Then obviously as you mentioned copper for ich and velvet.

I'd say to answer your question yes, depending on what type of fish you are talking about it could easily carry flukes, Brook, or Uronema without symptoms.

Most fish are unaffected by Uronema and Brook. Any fish can carry them but not be symptomatic. For instance if it's a clownfish and Brook was present likely you'd know since it mostly affects clowns. However a Wrasse could carry it forever and never show a symptom.

Same with Uronema. Chromis, anthias etc. Would likely be symptomatic, but a tang would probably be unaffected.

gonefishin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can usually take care of flukes with GC. Uronema and Brook would take up to 10 days of metronidazole. Then obviously as you mentioned copper for ich and velvet.

I'd say to answer your question yes, depending on what type of fish you are talking about it could easily carry flukes, Brook, or Uronema without symptoms.

Most fish are unaffected by Uronema and Brook. Any fish can carry them but not be symptomatic. For instance if it's a clownfish and Brook was present likely you'd know since it mostly affects clowns. However a Wrasse could carry it forever and never show a symptom.

Same with Uronema. Chromis, anthias etc. Would likely be symptomatic, but a tang would probably be unaffected.
Gotcha. That makes sense. Thanks for the quick response!

JPK

Always learning from others
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@HotRocks When you are dosing metro for 10 days (or weaving in some GC doses), are you dosing every single day, or skipping a day(s)? How often are you doing water changes between (before) doses and at what percent?

Thanks for all the great info.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks When you are dosing metro for 10 days (or weaving in some GC doses), are you dosing every single day, or skipping a day(s)? How often are you doing water changes between (before) doses and at what percent?

Thanks for all the great info.
Metro is dosed every other day. When weaving in GC it contains metronidazole so you wouldn't dose metro with those two doses.

The only time I do a WC is just before the second dose of GC and I would do a 25% WC.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a range for use of CP? First time QT and its tough to get it exactly at 1.75ppm

What is your reading?

I would would try to stay at or above 1.75ppm but not exceed 2.0ppm.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 133 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back