OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when using copper power and kannaplex +furan 2. Since Furan 2 will change the tank water to yellow Tint. Will you still get an accurate reading on the Hanna checker?

thanks
Yes it works just fine since the tester takes a baseline reading. I checked it several times by testing before first dose of furan 2 and then after. Test was always within the .05ppm variance of the tester.

iansu1075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it works just fine since the tester takes a baseline reading. I checked it several times by testing before first dose of furan 2 and then after. Test was always within the .05ppm variance of the tester.
Thanks. Is it a normal routine to dose furan and kannaplex when in copper or only when an infection is present?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Is it a normal routine to dose furan and kannaplex when in copper or only when an infection is present?
I would not recommend the prophylactic use of antibiotics. It can cause resistance issues. So I would only use them if a bacterial infection is present. I have used only a single dose of spectrogram to help clear a tank of bacterial bloom but I never use antibiotics unless an active bacterial infection is present.

iansu1075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend the prophylactic use of antibiotics. It can cause resistance issues. So I would only use them if a bacterial infection is present. I have used only a single dose of spectrogram to help clear a tank of bacterial bloom but I never use antibiotics unless an active bacterial infection is present.

ok. Thanks

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same methodology we use in people. Not following your thought process in the 90’s is how we got MRSA from being a hospital acquires pathogen tina community acquired pathogen and why today we have even more virulent strains of many bacteria!

BST96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks Thank you so much for sharing this info! I tried the dump and pray method and unfortunately paid for it. Now I understand the importance of a QT.

I apologize if this question has been answered ...

When using the single tank method I understand too keep the fish in copper for 30 days total. Can you proceed with step 2 at the 14 day mark still? Meaning dosing GC or Prazi into the copper? Or is it best to start that after 30 days and a 100% WC. I guess I am trying to get the QT time down to that 4/5 week range as opposed to longer.

Thanks-Ben

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey no problem!

I would still wait to dose prazi until copper is removed unless you have an emergency situation like a heavy fluke infestation. The combination of prazi + copper is risky IMO.

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning @HotRocks, @4FordFamily
@Hemmdog @Frtdrmrose7
@melypr1985
@Humblefish

Quick question. I have one purple fire fish I just noticed has one of its gills, a little red compared to the other. Fish has ran through copper. Two rounds of prazi that were finished up on sep 21. Since then, this batch of fish has been in observation. I was getting ready to transfer into display this am and noticed it. Poop is normal. Had done three weeks of soaked food.

Water quality slipped a little in this tank in this last week. I'm about to do a dip to double check it's not flukes. But of the five fish in the tank. Only this one firefish is showing red gill.

Edit: dip turned up nothing.
Edit: #reefsquad
Edit:need guidance. Either I'm trasfering or adding next batch together with these guys. Need to pull fish out of copper

20191014_104204.jpg 20191014_114236.jpg

Last edited:

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JaredB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks - thank you very much for all of your contributions and advice. Forgive me if this question has already been answered. I am acquiring my first copperband butterfly. I already follow your qt protocol and have done so successfully with other fish. Would you modify anything for the cbb? Or proceed as described? Thanks!

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks - thank you very much for all of your contributions and advice. Forgive me if this question has already been answered. I am acquiring my first copperband butterfly. I already follow your qt protocol and have done so successfully with other fish. Would you modify anything for the cbb? Or proceed as described? Thanks!
Thank you, I’m glad it has worked for you in the past. I don’t do anything different for a CBB. I would keep NFG in hand as they seem to get bacterial infections about 60% of the time IME. Copper is an immunosuppressant so I’d guess that doesn’t help when it comes to fighting bacteria.

JaredB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I’m glad it has worked for you in the past. I don’t do anything different for a CBB. I would keep NFG in hand as they seem to get bacterial infections about 60% of the time IME. Copper is an immunosuppressant so I’d guess that doesn’t help when it comes to fighting bacteria.
Thank you! I currently have Kanaplex, Metroplex, Furan2 and general cure on hand. Where can I obtain NFG? Would these be adequate?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I currently have Kanaplex, Metroplex, Furan2 and general cure on hand. Where can I obtain NFG? Would these be adequate?
That combination will work just fine generally. Nitrofuracin green has to be purchased from the manufacturer in larger quantities. I have seen it available in smaller quantities that would be more suitable for hobbyist use on eBay.

JaredB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That combination will work just fine generally. Nitrofuracin green has to be purchased from the manufacturer in larger quantities. I have seen it available in smaller quantities that would be more suitable for hobbyist use on eBay.
I just found 100g repackaged container online at east-coast-rancho for around $30. I hope it's ok. How do you suggest I dose it (if necessary)? THank you!

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @HotRocks,

I you had cupramine drop to .47 for two consecutive days, and then back up above .5, is that concerning?

Or should I restart my days?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back