My Custom Build - A New Start

Jrapa86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. So I tore down my old tank and moved from an apartment into a house. I had a large closet space facing the front door that I dreamed of building a display tank into. I then took the plunge!!

Everything is custom built from scratch except for the display tank, sump, and equipment (minus a chrome plugin I programmed to enhance apex fusion). I plan on creating a picture-by-picture build thread from start to finish and posting it to the forum.

It's not 100% complete yet. Adding final touches, then staining the wood to match the stand.

I would love for some pointers, advice, and hard truths from all my fellow reefkeepers!! Negative comments will be considered constructive criticism to only improve it!

Current Setup
- 65 Gal Aqueon Display Tank : 36"W x 23"H x 18"D
- 1 Eshopps RS-100 3rd Gen Sump
- 1 Eshopps Hang Overflow Box
- 1 DIY Custom built Stockman Standpipe (Overflow Silencer)
- 1 Apex Neptune Controller
- 2 FMM Modules
- 2 Neptune Breakout Boxes with custom switches
- 2 Apex WAV Powerheads
- 1 Jebeao Doser
- 1 Poafamx Aquarium Dosing Pump
- Kaiyopop Carbon Fiber Aquarium Heater 300W / 500W
- 1 Python Water Changer --DIY Custom Modification (Hard Plumbed to 1" Sch 40 PVC) with quick disconnect and solenoid valve to automatically turn on/off water in a basement sink.

Current limitations:
65 gallon Display Tank. 18 gallon Sump. - (I wish I had a larger DT). Unfortunately I used up my budget prematurely building the stand and top cabinet.

-No room to add a refugium anywhere.

-Lighting is a Fluval Marine 3.0 LED strip. Can't afford lights like Kessil and Red Sea, but I wish I could. Well it's not that I can't afford it, but the wife is having a meltdown on how much I've already spent and threatened to put a hold on my credit cards lol. I feel like the DT needs more lighting. I'd like to keep my options open to SPS and LPS both and not be confined.

No Livestock yet. Currently in Week 2 of cycle.

Current Dilemmas:
-My Return Pump is a Sicce Syncra (don't know which version).
- PVC: Sch 40 - 3/4"
- # Elbows: 9
- # Tee's: 2
- 1 Check Valve
- Height: 3ft
- Length: 7.5ft (~91")
- Estimated Head Pressure: Unsure
- Current Reading on Flow Meter (at max): 134 gph return. Im pretty sure that is bad.

Future Plans
-Adding a DIY Skimmer Cleaning Pump, connecting it to the 1" drain that goes to basement sink, currently in use for the custom Python water changer.
- Add the correct or better lighting
-Add COR Pump
-Apex Neptune Triton
-May need to upgrade my overflow box (single 3/4" Sch 40 going to sump)
-Add a refugium somehow

Not In use
-Just purchased a COR pump (2000 gph)from neptune. Haven't connected it yet. Shipment arrives today.
-I have a 200 gallon tank that wouldn't fit in the cove, so it's in storage.
-I have an ATI T5 48", but not enough clearance in the cabinet to use it (~3" of space between top of ATI and tank and overlaps the wood on the sides.)

66697626783__42E99930-ACA7-4106-A4C8-2A708BD64BAD.jpeg
IMG_1466.jpeg

IMG_1470.jpeg
66662208392__4ECC02E5-13BB-4695-994C-A78A21D54FED.jpeg

Fish Tank.png
Fish Tank.png

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice woodworking!

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! dont forget to exhaust humidity out of the top good air flow with some pc fans help air exchange and ph stability, I use a de humidifier and open top b4 I did my hard wood hated me.

Looks great I wish I had wood working skills like that

OP
OP
Jrapa86

Jrapa86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! dont forget to exhaust humidity out of the top good air flow with some pc fans help air exchange and ph stability, I use a de humidifier and open top b4 I did my hard wood hated me.

Looks great I wish I had wood working skills like that
Thanks for this advice!! I’m going to take it for sure. I have one triple fan over my sump, but I’m going to get more aggressive with dehumidification.

much appreciated!!!

Back