My Daughter’s Fluval Evo 13.5 Reef

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank. I started one for my son about 2 years ago and he had no interest up until the last 2 months or so. Now he loves helping me make water and do the water changes. I also had the same issue with phosphates and discovered it was not 1 but 2 lfs that I was getting water from. Only difference for me was I was too stubborn/stupid to believe my intuition and check their water.

OP
OP

56cbr600rr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C98F54AB-2B27-4C55-A86F-E33D8C3D6559.jpeg

OP
OP

56cbr600rr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank. I started one for my son about 2 years ago and he had no interest up until the last 2 months or so. Now he loves helping me make water and do the water changes. I also had the same issue with phosphates and discovered it was not 1 but 2 lfs that I was getting water from. Only difference for me was I was too stubborn/stupid to believe my intuition and check their water.

Took me some time too.. And I was purchasing their "Premium" labelled water at a higher price point.

OP
OP

56cbr600rr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice nano i have never had a saltwater tank i am wanting a 75gallon but think i am going to start off with a
fluval 13.5 to see if its for me also could you tell me the name of this coral please

yeah, this tank is really not hat bad. But wish I’d gotten an IM NUVO 25 instead.

The coral is a Cornbred Rainbow Crush.

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking really good!

Read your post about lighting and zoa's stalks elongating and etc... It takes a while for corals to adapt to lighting so you don't want to change it too often. I have my lights set at 30% which translates to about 18w over a 5g nano. It's more than enough for even my acropora (SPS), but it's leaving shadows under some of them. The shadowed parts are basically dying. So, I added second light pointed at a 45 degree angle to cover all the shadowed areas. So, it isn't always about watts.

TL;DR Go slow with the lighting. It takes months for results so you might actually think things are improving then overshoot settings because you changed things too soon.

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point Im not adding trace elements at all. My mindset is still keeping it simple. Around the second week r two of tank ownership I added two hermits and a snail, a few weeks later I had another scarlet hermit and two more snails, and then sometime later again as my Tank was going through the cycling dirty’s I added a few more. As of right now I have around six various emails in three or four Hermits.

I truly thought this is where my modifications would stop, with the pump and RFG. Trying to keep things simple.

Also at this point Ive only tested for pH, nitrates, ammonia, and salinity.
if u wanna keep simple try dosing tropic marins all for reef (when u need ofc)which is a 1 part solution for calc alk mg andtrace manual dose with a squeeze (drops) daily super ez works well for basic corals

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back