My DREAM FISH! The Madagascan half-striped flasher wrasse - Paracheilinus hemitaeniatus!

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jake adams has or had some. i think he did an update a few weeks later and the male flasher jumped out of his qt system, but they definitely look pretty cool

Albert Bazaar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemon Tyk posted this fish on Facebook earlier this week, and now I can't stop staring at it. This is Paracheilinus hemitaeniatus, the Madagascan half-striped flasher wrasse, and is now officially my DREAM FISH! This thing is beautiful! Check out Lemon's photos of this beauty:

1.jpg

2.JPG
these fish were quite common North of Tamatave,Madagascar they would hang in 2-3 foot of water at low tide with the large dead or semi dead heads of coral that had broken from the main reef slowly washing into shore.They would hang around these heads with damsels,orange spotted filefish,little butterfly fish and juvi angelfish.All one had to do is to pick up the coral head as everybody(The fish that is.LOL) run into it to hide.We would then take the long task of waiting for them to come out in a tub of water.Soon Madagascar will come in more direct from France and S.Africa and they will become more affordable.That is an exceptional specimen by the way.Thanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Beyond the Reef:

MADAGASCAR FLASHER WRASSE
Paracheilinus hemitaeniatus

DOWN PAYMENT:
$400.00
TOTAL PRICE:
$800.00

ESTIMATED TIME TO ACQUIRE:
4 Weeks

Can anyone tell me whats so hard about keeping them? I can’t find much info on them and have a line on one.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Can anyone tell me whats so hard about keeping them? I can’t find much info on them and have a line on one.
They are from DFeep waters of Africa and in the deep, everything looks the same. They have to be repacked generally in the phillipines and reacclimated at wholesaler, making them hard to get and the long shipping time involved. This also makes them pricey.
Considered the holy grail of colored wrasses, they are hardy once acclimated

Wolters_88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are from DFeep waters of Africa and in the deep, everything looks the same. They have to be repacked generally in the phillipines and reacclimated at wholesaler, making them hard to get and the long shipping time involved. This also makes them pricey.
Considered the holy grail of colored wrasses, they are hardy once acclimated
Ok, once I get it and QT, I don’t need to worry then. All I needed to know.

dbq5anlxj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry I've been really busy and i only took a handful of photos, here is two of the better ones. Excuse the dirty tank, this was back when my frag tank was up and had tons of aiptasia.

wrasse1.jpg wrasse2.jpg
Hello. Do you still have this awesome fish? Did it develop any streamer on the tail? thanks

Kaiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Do you still have this awesome fish? Did it develop any streamer on the tail? thanks
Sorry for the late reply. I lost that initial fish shortly before it was about to leave quarantine due to it hopping out through a narrow gap in the netting. I ended up getting a free replacement due to a friend owing me a favor, unfortunately the new one smashed its head while in a acclimation box and developed a white film over it's face that I couldn't treat in time. It passed away a few days later. Still plan on getting another one someday as I'm much more equipped and experienced now.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemon Tyk posted this fish on Facebook earlier this week, and now I can't stop staring at it. This is Paracheilinus hemitaeniatus, the Madagascan half-striped flasher wrasse, and is now officially my DREAM FISH! This thing is beautiful! Check out Lemon's photos of this beauty:

1.jpg

2.JPG
Love it! I wonder if call it a "Dream Fish" will make the powers that be increase the price? It sure made "dream tank" sellers boost their$$ :)

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love it! I wonder if call it a "Dream Fish" will make the powers that be increase the price? It sure made "dream tank" sellers boost their$$ :)
Haha! I doubt I have that much power. :) The rarity and difficulty of collection though does make this one a bit pricier than most flasher wrasses.

dbq5anlxj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply. I lost that initial fish shortly before it was about to leave quarantine due to it hopping out through a narrow gap in the netting. I ended up getting a free replacement due to a friend owing me a favor, unfortunately the new one smashed its head while in a acclimation box and developed a white film over it's face that I couldn't treat in time. It passed away a few days later. Still plan on getting another one someday as I'm much more equipped and experienced now.
Thank you so much for the reply and sorry to hear that. I had one for almost a year and it's doing great it's been through copper and the other medication for quarantine. And I can confirm that it going to develop the tail streamer eventually. And it's a beautiful fish when it's flashing.

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who has Madagascar wrasse please help to answer the following questions

1. LFS has one about 4" supermale. Do you know the the life expectancy of this guy?
2. Planning to build a vertical walls (15") in all four sides from the surface of the water and 2" top lips (euro braces on top) Would this keep the wrasse from jumping out?

Thanks

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back