My experience with Vit C & Zoas

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you guys getting "cleaner," tanks from dosing. Curious why the skimmate. I understand killing algae there will be die off thus short period of increased skimmer activity, but constant?!

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you guys getting "cleaner," tanks from dosing. Curious why the skimmate. I understand killing algae there will be die off thus short period of increased skimmer activity, but constant?!
I've heard, but done no research to confirm, that vitamin c is a carbon source so it is like dosing vodka or other carbon sources.

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is carbon in the chemical structure.

As far as dosing and better color from C? How do y'all know the dose to use. I've found only two articles on coral and Vit c, both stating hard coral use it for skeleton. But neither talk about how much is required for coral or how much should be in water. I'm skeptical of any company recommendation!!

So the clogging filter and increased skimmate is likely from increased bacteria? Similar to other forms of carbon dosing?

This is very interesting!

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has been a lot of hobbyist "research" on dosing levels. They point to 5ppm as a management level and 30ppm when you are treating a problem. I'm dosing at 2.5ppm and seeing really good results.

pa1ntbru5h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys should read up on this thread.. Get ready to skim through 37 pages on Vitamin C dosing. I'm actually about to start using that Buffered Sodium Ascorbate as soon as it arrives. I have some zoas that melted, some that don't look too great, but some that look amazing. I've been using the Kent Marine C but honestly I haven't seen much difference in using it. I've already gone through 1 whole bottle of it. So hopefully this powdered vitamin C will help.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vitamin-c-dosing-for-zoanthids-i-am-clueless.8931/

Masterbeat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I know this thread is a bit old but wondering if anyone following before or new might notice and comment on my fresh experience with dosing Vitamin C in a 20 gal Nano. After reading up on all the forums including the R2R 20 page split threads about it, I decided to take the plunge and dose to help with a rapidly melting Zoa colony. I started yesterday with the Brightwell Vitamarin C then switched today to buffered Sodium Ascorbate from iHerb as recommended by everyone in those threads.

What I'm concerned about and wondering if anyone else dosing experienced this is that, within 5 - 10 minutes of dosing, all my corals went nuts! I have two bubble corals that rapidly expanded in crazy shapes (really inflated), then after that they rapidly closed up and pulled everything super tight into their skeletons. I have a branching hammer and a torch coral that retracted and pulled all the polyps inside really fast, and all the zoa colonies glossed over. Even the mushrooms inflated then pulled themselves in.

Here are some pics so you can see the bubbles (lower left) in their skeletons, the hammer and torch (top center) all retracted, etc.

The Vitamin C is all I dosed. They did this just a bit with the Brightwell and now major craziness after the powder. I dosed for 30ppm for a 20 gal tank (putting in about 1500 mg total).

I find it crazy that I experienced this immediately yet no one seems to mention anything like this happening in all the threads and pages and pages of people talking about doing this.

Most say over-dosing is near impossible, and I don't think the dose I described was anywhere near an overdose.

What would cause this and should I be alarmed that everything went crazy and retracted, like REALLY retracted, into itself? We're about 3 hours later and everything is still in hiding.

Thanks!

IMG_5843.JPG

IMG_5844.JPG

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just curious as a newbie...would this work in a similar way (win+win) if you added this to your food? Our tank is tiny and I'm way too new to dose anything.

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I know this thread is a bit old but wondering if anyone following before or new might notice and comment on my fresh experience with dosing Vitamin C in a 20 gal Nano. After reading up on all the forums including the R2R 20 page split threads about it, I decided to take the plunge and dose to help with a rapidly melting Zoa colony. I started yesterday with the Brightwell Vitamarin C then switched today to buffered Sodium Ascorbate from iHerb as recommended by everyone in those threads.

What I'm concerned about and wondering if anyone else dosing experienced this is that, within 5 - 10 minutes of dosing, all my corals went nuts! I have two bubble corals that rapidly expanded in crazy shapes (really inflated), then after that they rapidly closed up and pulled everything super tight into their skeletons. I have a branching hammer and a torch coral that retracted and pulled all the polyps inside really fast, and all the zoa colonies glossed over. Even the mushrooms inflated then pulled themselves in.

Here are some pics so you can see the bubbles (lower left) in their skeletons, the hammer and torch (top center) all retracted, etc.

The Vitamin C is all I dosed. They did this just a bit with the Brightwell and now major craziness after the powder. I dosed for 30ppm for a 20 gal tank (putting in about 1500 mg total).

I find it crazy that I experienced this immediately yet no one seems to mention anything like this happening in all the threads and pages and pages of people talking about doing this.

Most say over-dosing is near impossible, and I don't think the dose I described was anywhere near an overdose.

What would cause this and should I be alarmed that everything went crazy and retracted, like REALLY retracted, into itself? We're about 3 hours later and everything is still in hiding.

Thanks!

IMG_5843.JPG

IMG_5844.JPG

Hey @Masterbeat how did the VC end up working for you?

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m guessing his tank crashed because he hasn’t been seen since that post...

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dosing the buffered sodium ascorbate for just over a week now. I haven’t seen any ill affects yet and nothing like corals closing up. I will agree the tank has stayed cleaner and I did see a drop in nitrates. I’m going to test again today to make sure the nitrates are not going too low.

I had a paly that had some flesh turn white and die. I iodine dipped and with the vc dosing it has stabilized. I’m hoping it pulls through. I have a lobo in a long term recovery that seems to have expanded its tissue a little.

I have a small patch of gha which has not died like some reported but it’s growth basically stalled out.

My skimmer stopped pulling skim a few days after dosing vc. I pulled it out and cleaned everything and now it’s working great again. I don’t know if the vc had anything to do with that. I have not noticed an increase in skimming since vc but I always skimmed really wet before hand.

RJ M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any successful outcomes of Vitamin C? I have been dosing it for nearly 3 months. I dose 1/4 teaspoon a day of the sodium ascorbate listed in this thread and has done wonders for my tank, especially my zoas.

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any successful outcomes of Vitamin C? I have been dosing it for nearly 3 months. I dose 1/4 teaspoon a day of the sodium ascorbate listed in this thread and has done wonders for my tank, especially my zoas.
pictures,,before and after ?

RJ M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are a few that were hit and miss on polyps being open over a period of about 6 months. Cant be 100% sure down to a science but just by coincidence ever since I started dosing vitamin c they are all looking great. (iPhone Pics)
IMG_0596.jpg
IMG_0651.JPG
IMG_0661.JPG
IMG_0700.JPG

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they look great,,but my experience was far from good..
I started dosing the buffered Iherb Vit C,,things looked good for a few days then it went upside down backwards and my system crashed..Crashed fast,,I got as many corals to new salt water and still lost more of them..
I was dosing very minor amounts to take things easy in the beginning,,but who knows what actually made my system crash..
Might be a coincidence but Im not trying that again until more research is done it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back