My experience with Vit C & Zoas

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to share my recent experience with vitamin C dosing that I used to try and save a zoa colony. The most surprising part was how much of an effect it had on another colony that I was sure was doomed, and also the amazing effects it had on pest algae in the tank.

I have recently been experiencing some problems with one of my colonies. I have roughly 30 different colonies in the tank but only this one seemed to be exhibiting these signs, since i have grown it out for 2 years I decided to act fast. The majority of them closed up tight and started to melt away. I could not spot any pests on them at night except for bristle worms.

Here is a pic when I started to notice the problem on April 22nd.

20160422_122632.jpg

Night shot a couple days later and new placement (in case it was flow related). This pic was taken the night I started the dosing. Notice all of the algae wrapped around the zoa, mostly dead. This algae has been on them for over a year.

20160424_220305.jpg

Here is a pic of a plug that I surely thought was a goner that I just recently received. Normally (10/10 for me) when I get new polyps in and they look strained and browning they never make it for me at least. I apologize for the pic, I did not really document these as well because I thought they were dead...

20160422_122644.jpg

I am now on my 6th day dosing and here is how they looked this morning.

Most polyps are now open except for just a couple. But wow, look at how clean that colony is now! The algae is almost 100% gone! Amazing

20160429_123034.jpg

The new plug I got not only all opened up, but they look like they have different color. I am assuming because they may have expelled their zoox. It is really amazing because I have never seen zoa's come back from this type of stress in the 5 yrs I have been reefing. I have lost all that tend to come in and look like that. Very rarely will they make it.

20160429_121219.jpg

Top down so you can see how different those polyps look that were closed up.

20160429_124006(0).jpg

There has certainly been a couple downsides. My filter socks, and media baskets have clogged up with this white stringy algae that I assume is just dying algae? Ive lost a lot if not all macro algae. However this does not bother me as I don't have a big fuge for macro.

Here is a pic of the stringy stuff clogging everything.

20160429_123117.jpg

I plan to do a massive WC tomorrow and start cutting back on the dosing now that things look much better. I am sold and I will always dose a little bit of this in my tank from now on.

Thanks for looking

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I e had similar experiences with vitamin c. My filter socks clog up much faster now and I notice I don't have to clean the glass at all. I had some sponges that were growing over some zoas that are now gone.

OP
OP
mrcoffee2

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I e had similar experiences with vitamin c. My filter socks clog up much faster now and I notice I don't have to clean the glass at all. I had some sponges that were growing over some zoas that are now gone.

Yep lost the sponges I had from vinegar dosing too.

goliwala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else have you been doing/dosing besides vitamin C? I have been reading up on vitamin C dosing because of some zoa not looking good and it seems like a good idea.

OP
OP
mrcoffee2

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else have you been doing/dosing besides vitamin C? I have been reading up on vitamin C dosing because of some zoa not looking good and it seems like a good idea.

Vitamin C is the main thing at the moment, once in the morning, and once when I come home. I do supplement my ATO with Lime, and add a little mag and iron throughout the week. I feed my two phantom clowns heavy with reef frenzy, and a couple drops of coral vitalizer daily which I am just testing out this month.

OP
OP
mrcoffee2

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Vit C product are you using?

This is very interesting! Any effects on SPS?

For the first 5 days I was using a generic GNC vitamin C 2000MG powder w/ rose hips. Recently within the past 2 days have switched to brightwells vit c. The reason I switch was because the powder was not buffered so it was dropping my PH roughly .1-.15 every dose. Not much for a problem, but I did not like the swing so I switched to brightwells. I haven't really found the best dose yet with brightwells but I plan to do 4 drops in the morning / afternoon once things stabilize.

No effects on SPS yet, people claim they get more vibrant but I have not noticed much of anything.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use sodium ascorbate. The reef products don't have a high enough concentration. Brightwell is only 1500mg/oz. sodium ascorbate is 1112mg/0.25 teaspoon. With a target of 5ppm you need to use 5mg/l of tank volume.

In my 50g (~190l) tank that's ~1000mg per dose and I dose twice a day. With sodium ascorbate it only requires 1/4 teaspoon. With Brightwells you need to use an ounce per dose. That's gonna get expensive fast.

OP
OP
mrcoffee2

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use sodium ascorbate. The reef products don't have a high enough concentration. Brightwell is only 1500mg/oz. sodium ascorbate is 1112mg/0.25 teaspoon. With a target of 5ppm you need to use 5mg/l of tank volume.

In my 50g (~190l) tank that's ~1000mg per dose and I dose twice a day. With sodium ascorbate it only requires 1/4 teaspoon. With Brightwells you need to use an ounce per dose. That's gonna get expensive fast.

Thanks for clearing up the dosage on the brightwells vs the ascorbate. The real reason I made the switch to bw was because it does not effect my PH which I am really trying to stabilize, and I do not plan to continue dosing 2000-4000MG daily. Personally I don't think I could handle using vit C as a carbon / cleaning source long term. It renders a filter sock useless in 2 days, clogged my media reactor in two days, skimmer has been going haywire and I really want my sponges back :). Now that it seems to have made my zoas healthier and given me the added benefit of eliminating most if not all the bad algae I think i'll try and go back to a tiny dose that just keeps it slightly elevated for the benefits. Perhaps start vinegar dosing again. I have to do something since I feed so heavily.

Now in the future if I EVER need to bring a zoa back, or clean GHA / algae off a plug then I will totally start dosing vit C at 1-2000MG twice a day again.

Do you plan to continually dose this at those levels? It seems you were dosing about half of what I was doing.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for clearing up the dosage on the brightwells vs the ascorbate. The real reason I made the switch to bw was because it does not effect my PH which I am really trying to stabilize, and I do not plan to continue dosing 2000-4000MG daily. Personally I don't think I could handle using vit C as a carbon / cleaning source long term. It renders a filter sock useless in 2 days, clogged my media reactor in two days, skimmer has been going haywire and I really want my sponges back :). Now that it seems to have made my zoas healthier and given me the added benefit of eliminating most if not all the bad algae I think i'll try and go back to a tiny dose that just keeps it slightly elevated for the benefits. Perhaps start vinegar dosing again. I have to do something since I feed so heavily.

Now in the future if I EVER need to bring a zoa back, or clean GHA / algae off a plug then I will totally start dosing vit C at 1-2000MG twice a day again.

Do you plan to continually dose this at those levels? It seems you were dosing about half of what I was doing.
I hear you on the pH. That's why I switched from the pills to the sodium ascorbate. It is buffered so it has a pH of 7.1. I haven't seen a problem with my pH. The buffer also adds to the tank's alk level, so I don't dose for it anymore. I can't run my skimmer anymore and the plugging filter socks are annoying. Considering the increased vitality I've seen I'm going to keep dosing for a while, I think. I might cut the dose in half again and see where it goes. I'm dosing for 2.5ppm right now.

OP
OP
mrcoffee2

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read others report affects on birdsnest. You may want to look into that.

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

N u might want to get the buffered variety . I have used this brand .

81Oi7nsD5lL._SY679_.jpg

OP
OP
mrcoffee2

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try and see. I might just have to give up filter socks.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back