My female clown of over a year turned crazy aggressive

Gatling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I have a small tank (13.5g) with 2 clowns and a pink damsel. They all got along incredibly well for over a year. Literally just today my female clown (the much bigger clown) is chasing my damsel like crazy. Lots of biting attempts too.

What kind of behavior sparked this? The female clown is slightly bigger than the damsel but somewhat similar sizes. Are they just fighting over dominance or are the clowns trying to mate and th female is being hyper aggressive??

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi guys, I have a small tank (13.5g) with 2 clowns and a pink damsel. They all got along incredibly well for over a year. Literally just today my female clown (the much bigger clown) is chasing my damsel like crazy. Lots of biting attempts too.

What kind of behavior sparked this? The female clown is slightly bigger than the damsel but somewhat similar sizes. Are they just fighting over dominance or are the clowns trying to mate and th female is being hyper aggressive??

Most likely you described the cause in the last part of your final sentence. Clowns are wired for dominance so unfortunately this isn't unusual. It is part of the mystery, magic, and frustrations of keeping clownfish.

OP
OP
Gatling

Gatling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely you described the cause in the last part of your final sentence. Clowns are wired for dominance so unfortunately this isn't unusual. It is part of the mystery, magic, and frustrations of keeping clownfish.
What's crazy I thought the damsel would cause trouble in this tank but the damsel is really shook now. He is swimming in the corner away from the clowns (he has a massive home under one of my rocks too so he can definitely hide).

If the clowns want to breed, I have no idea on what signs to look out for. Are there any classic signs that I should be looking out for?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's crazy I thought the damsel would cause trouble in this tank but the damsel is really shook now. He is swimming in the corner away from the clowns (he has a massive home under one of my rocks too so he can definitely hide).

If the clowns want to breed, I have no idea on what signs to look out for. Are there any classic signs that I should be looking out for?

One obvious one is the side-shimy full body shake.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 136 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back