Your Clowns: Biters or Lovers?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I’ve had my hands in many a reef. Maintenance, setup etc. I’ve had clowns, mainly the woman folk. (Females) hum? attack my hand for no reason at all. But my own personal pair of Clowns definitely don’t bite the hand that feeds them. Actually no clowns over the decades have attacked my hands or arms in my personal tanks.

Curious: Do your pets (clowns) bite?
IMG_4415.jpeg

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t been bitten yet but my female maroon charges against my hand every time I’m doing something in the tank. I assume it’s only a matter of time.

My black ocellaris female (different tank) doesn’t care what I do as long as I don’t go near her heater. Yes, it’s Hera and she lets everyone know.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some funny facts about my clowns that go against the grain… my occelaris female igonores me completely, it’s the male that wants to murder my hand. My maroon clowns, touted by the masses as spawn of satan, both eat gently out of my hand!

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female started biting only when I finally got into turning my tank around and I siphoned out the GHA around her patch. Soon after she appreciated the regular feeding, and a new partner, so she stopped biting. Well thats what I tell myself at least

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got rid of a pair of ocelleris that were just mean from the jump to everyone and everything. I traded them to a breeder for a fresh pair and they are both pretty tame and calm. I think there's a personality component for sure

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 2 clowns that only want to swim with my hand… I guess I just got lucky. I’ve had them for over 4years and they just love me and I mean it. Anybody else that they don’t recognize they’ll ignore them entirely. But with me they are above and beyond to greet me at the glass and my hand lol

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
I’m going to get some gloves.
Likely protecting a spawn, but I can’t see it.
I was so surprised at just how powerful the bites was.
Bled for hours.

gastone

I dig chicks with rics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Currently four pairs of clowns. I've got some sweethearts and some not so sweethearts. The gsms are the babies of the bunch. They've been together for about 6 weeks. They haven't paired up, but I remain hopeful that they will. They are also the recipients of a Colorado wildfire bta which the boss (I loathe to call it a her...yet) claimed in about two minutes of being put into the tank.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My maroon only gets protective when I am near her anemone. Doesn’t bite just really concerned. My Occ/Perc's in the other tank are murderous if they are breeding. My parameters have not been ideal for them recently and have taken a break from breeding and also from eating me alive one piece at a time.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female clown will bite and whip its tail at my hand each time I get near its Duncan.

Otherwise its pretty chill until something gets near what it's hosting and tick it off. Oh she killed more snails then I can count flipping them off the glass and turning then over upside.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got rid of a pair of ocelleris that were just mean from the jump to everyone and everything. I traded them to a breeder for a fresh pair and they are both pretty tame and calm. I think there's a personality component for sure
I think you’re right! They ought to separate them from birth. Gentle, chill in this tank. Mean, rambunctious in this tank. They do it in dog breeding.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My maroon only gets protective when I am near her anemone. Doesn’t bite just really concerned. My Occ/Perc's in the other tank are murderous if they are breeding. My parameters have not been ideal for them recently and have taken a break from breeding and also from eating me alive one piece at a time.
Maroons are so unpredictable, I’ve stopped adding them to my list years ago. They are very beautiful but you gotta draw the line. Lol

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroons are so unpredictable, I’ve stopped adding them to my list years ago. They are very beautiful but you gotta draw the line. Lol
I really think it all comes down to if they are breeding or not. This maroon I got when it was the size of my pinky nail, that may have something to do with it also.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back