My first acro - acclimation to lights, or no?

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 1.25 yrs old. Years ago, I also had a reef tank but have never had an acro. I'm not looking to spend lots of money on a difficult coral. But, while ordering some critters, they had a good price on a green slimer frag and I figured I could try it. I have a 32g biocube with an AI Hydra 26 HD mounted in the hood (so close to water line). I haven't tested the PAR with the new light, but I think it should be OK as long as the frag is at the top. the spot I'm thinking about is right in the brightest part of the tank, only maybe 6" below water line (good idea? I'll post a picture of the spot shortly). I currently dose alk by hand at least several times a week and calcium as needed. I have dosing pumps arriving tomorrow to make this easier. I have an Icecap 1K gyre at max 30% and it's a lot of flow in the tank, plus a strong return pump. The gyre hits the spot I'm thinking of perfectly so it should have high flow and high light.

Frag arrived today, I dipped, and put it in the sand bed. Should I leave it there and slowly move it up? It was likely in higher light before. I feed Brightwell Coralamino daily and something else once a week (currently Reef Roids, but have something else arriving tomorrow to try). I also run a fuge in the back of the cube.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s where I’m thinking of putting him (you can see him in the sand bed below)
0A503623-9542-4CBD-97AE-5EE5A893B413.jpeg

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could leave it at the bottom for a week or just put it where it is right now.
So it doesn’t really matter? Cool. I think I’m out of IC Gel so I’ll leave it in the sand until I get more

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it matters for other types of coral that are low par. Remember that acros sit in high par all day so they can mostly handle the amount of light you have so long as you aren't blasting some deep water acro in 700 par.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also consider the green slimer to be a very hardy beginner SPS.

I have peices of it all over in my tank ranging from very close to the sandbed(100 or so par), to the highest spot on my rockwork(500ish par), and all frags do well.

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I wouldn't worry too much about acclimating this one, as long as it didn't come from super low par. Ex: I bought a tenuis frag a few weeks ago that was sitting in 100 par, and the spot I wanted to put it in was around 500. I let it sit on my frag rack, which is 250-300 par ish, for a week and a half, then moved it up. With a green slimer tho, I wouldn't worry about it, my example was that of an extenuating circumstance.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! I asked what light this frag came from and turns out it was in a greenhouse in Florida so natural sunlight. So no idea what that light intensity would be. I'll move it as soon as my IC gel gets here. I picked this one because it is a hardy SPS. I don't have a desire to grow hard to keep ones at all.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back