850AACED-E580-48EF-ABB9-A6D8F6B85AE0.jpeg
51F019F1-4289-48C3-BAD0-A4218F70451F.jpeg
223F2E19-D6E9-46EB-8F39-0E05702D7686.jpeg

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So new update the doors are on and I started cycling my rock!!! I figure after I get all the plumbing done, put the glass panel on and make sure everything is working properly my rock should be cycled. I also found a good price on some 1/2 inch thick glass for my front panel $170 brand new.

Here are some pics of my progress and kind of what I had in mind for my scape:
IMG_2748.jpeg
IMG_2742.jpeg
IMG_2750.jpeg

I could use extra ideas for my scape so let me know what you guys think I should do!!!

Tanks looking great!! Good job jumping in with both feet!

Quick question - I assume you have been watching "The King of DIY" on Youtube? These look like a lot of his build ideas/suggestions!

OP
OP
C_mo97

C_mo97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks looking great!! Good job jumping in with both feet!

Quick question - I assume you have been watching "The King of DIY" on Youtube? These look like a lot of his build ideas/suggestions!
Yes, a lot of my build came from looking at his YouTube videos and than making some tweaks to fit my needs. Like the bean animal drain and the rimless front. King of DIY was a huge inspiration though!!

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a lot of my build came from looking at his YouTube videos and than making some tweaks to fit my needs. Like the bean animal drain and the rimless front. King of DIY was a huge inspiration though!!

Good morning!

Yes! He is who started my interest in DIY as well! Tons of great ideas, however, be warned that his builds are not designed for reef tanks and should be taken with a "grain of salt" for sure! (Ha. Lame joke) I did exactly what you did and used lava rock in my homemade sump 1 year ago. Lava rock is great for freshwater, but for reef tanks we need pristine water without any additional minerals, expecially eliminating heavy metals. This is why so many people use RODI water. Lava rock is packed full of impurities that will slowly leech out into your tank. :(

Ive been there!! Haha. I actually started with his 5gal canister filter idea (full of lava), then moved that lava into my first DIY sump.

20190106_210018.jpg

20190401_181730.jpg

OP
OP
C_mo97

C_mo97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning!

Yes! He is who started my interest in DIY as well! Tons of great ideas, however, be warned that his builds are not designed for reef tanks and should be taken with a "grain of salt" for sure! (Ha. Lame joke) I did exactly what you did and used lava rock in my homemade sump 1 year ago. Lava rock is great for freshwater, but for reef tanks we need pristine water without any additional minerals, expecially eliminating heavy metals. This is why so many people use RODI water. Lava rock is packed full of impurities that will slowly leech out into your tank. :(

Ive been there!! Haha. I actually started with his 5gal canister filter idea (full of lava), then moved that lava into my first DIY sump.

20190106_210018.jpg

20190401_181730.jpg
Thanks for the heads up. With that in mind, I might go with the marine pure cubes from algae barn. I have to buy the chaeto and pods from there anyways.

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up. With that in mind, I might go with the marine pure cubes from algae barn. I have to buy the chaeto and pods from there anyways.

Ive never used it, but the science is there for sure! Ive wanted to buy those blocks!

Since you like youtube videos - have you watch the BRS160 playlist from bulk reef supply? They are killer videos that go in depth on every component of starting and running a tank. Since you are well underway and have a great grasp on what you're doing you can skip the more beginner playlists and start with the BRS160. I do suggest going in order though!

As for chaeto and pods- BRS sells them as well so its an easy add on to your order. When do you plan to add those to your system?

Good luck! Keep us posted!

OP
OP
C_mo97

C_mo97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never used it, but the science is there for sure! Ive wanted to buy those blocks!

Since you like youtube videos - have you watch the BRS160 playlist from bulk reef supply? They are killer videos that go in depth on every component of starting and running a tank. Since you are well underway and have a great grasp on what you're doing you can skip the more beginner playlists and start with the BRS160. I do suggest going in order though!

As for chaeto and pods- BRS sells them as well so its an easy add on to your order. When do you plan to add those to your system?

Good luck! Keep us posted!
Yeah I watch most of BRSs stuff, Coralfish12G, King of DIY, Inopropriate reefer, and Tidal Gardens. Those are my main sources for info on YouTube, I am sure there are some more in forgetting.

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay last suggestion!! I promise! Haha.
If you plan to use a skimmer, make sure to design your sumps skimmer section large enough to accommodate! I made mine 6x11 and really really struggled to find one that would happily fit.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along. I've heard of the plywood tanks but never really looked into them. I'd scared to death that the silicone wouldn't stick to the plywood/waterproofing material. Is there going to be a trim that goes around the top and bottom?

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed it in the pictures, but is there anything holding the glass on besides the silicone?

Usually on a plywood build the glass is recessed from the front and has wood frame on the edges.

Other than that the stand and everything else look good.

OP
OP
C_mo97

C_mo97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay last suggestion!! I promise! Haha.
If you plan to use a skimmer, make sure to design your sumps skimmer section large enough to accommodate! I made mine 6x11 and really really struggled to find one that would happily fit.

I think mine is big enough but, I will have to measure it again when I get home.

Tagging along. I've heard of the plywood tanks but never really looked into them. I'd scared to death that the silicone wouldn't stick to the plywood/waterproofing material. Is there going to be a trim that goes around the top and bottom?
I may have missed it in the pictures, but is there anything holding the glass on besides the silicone?

Usually on a plywood build the glass is recessed from the front and has wood frame on the edges.

Other than that the stand and everything else look good.

So I thought about putting a rim on the tank but, I don't really like the look of it and since I am doing a smaller tank than most plywood builds. I decided to extend the pond shield coat around the edges to help the silicone stick to the plywood side. So far it is working out.

ozborn99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Update number 3!!! I still have no glass but the plywood tank is water proofed and the tank and stand is painted. I still need to put Vinyl stripping around the doors so I haven’t put them back on yet.
A898FA0D-28A5-4521-9982-5FF563B3ECFD.jpeg
379BF738-85E9-4F71-A208-EF93304EACCF.jpeg

Also I finished the 20 gallon sump that I am using instead of the 10.
44E9EAD6-5678-41C9-872A-CD0A375E37D2.jpeg
13AB15F9-FECA-4439-929B-648F4677A7D6.jpeg
8C880E37-B354-40CC-9A6D-3B338A702EF7.jpeg

For my next steps I will be getting glass and test if the tank holds water. After that I am going to start drilling holes for the plumbing and create the overflow!!!
Hope you got new socks for Christmas. It was time to donate the old ones. Btw, awesome looking diy build.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think mine is big enough but, I will have to measure it again when I get home.

So I thought about putting a rim on the tank but, I don't really like the look of it and since I am doing a smaller tank than most plywood builds. I decided to extend the pond shield coat around the edges to help the silicone stick to the plywood side. So far it is working out.

How tall is the tank? That is what really creates most of the pressure on the glass.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thickness is half inch and it is 48x24
Overall the build looks great. You have done a super job! I think the display panel may be a bit too big for my comfort. I probably wouldn’t have built the tank taller than 21” or 22” if I was going with 1/2” rimless. If there was support along the top rim I would have no concerns.
I may be overly cautious.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back