my first dragon pipes yaaay

Nimitz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just got 2 dragon face pipe fish this morning. acclimated and in the tank. already picking at glass and rocks.

got a brine shrimp hatchery on the way as well.

20190821_135604.jpg

20190821_135336.jpg

OP
OP
N

Nimitz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what sort of tank mates can these little fellas have?

peaceful fish, I'd avoid some wrasses that would pick on inverts etc. currently they are in a 90 gallon mixed reef mostly LPS. tank mates are a Midas blenny, royal Gramma, 2 Mandarin goby's and a Marine betta, 2 pistol shrimp and a cleaner shrimp.

Very cool! I've always wanted a group of pipefish. How do they handle lots of flow? Would a sps dominate tank have too much?

so far so good tank has two gyre 3k's running random modes mirrored throughout the day. and a mag9 return. they are better swimmers then lot of other pipes besides the jannis and blue stripes. they stick to the bottom and hold onto rocks with their tails. both are actively hunting pods. some SPS specific guys keep them because hey are known to eat red bugs.

id avoid big clams, anemones etc.

20190821_181919.jpg

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
peaceful fish, I'd avoid some wrasses that would pick on inverts etc. currently they are in a 90 gallon mixed reef mostly LPS. tank mates are a Midas blenny, royal Gramma, 2 Mandarin goby's and a Marine betta, 2 pistol shrimp and a cleaner shrimp.

so far so good tank has two gyre 3k's running random modes mirrored throughout the day. and a mag9 return. they are better swimmers then lot of other pipes besides the jannis and blue stripes. they stick to the bottom and hold onto rocks with their tails. both are actively hunting pods. some SPS specific guys keep them because hey are known to eat red bugs.

id avoid big clams, anemones etc.

20190821_181919.jpg
ah dang imma have a golden dwarf and fairy wrasse in my set up
what a shame these little guys are super cute

OP
OP
N

Nimitz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah dang imma have a golden dwarf and fairy wrasse in my set up
what a shame these little guys are super cute

I mean I have a Marine betta and they don't mind him/vice versa @Paul B is the man to ask. I plan on having a brine shrimp hatchery to keep them all fat and happy.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These are on my long term wish list!!!!

OP
OP
N

Nimitz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

video of them settling in nicely and eating a ton of pods on the glass I also confirmed I have a male/female the male has ridges on his head and a yellow mark on his belly, and hes slightly bigger.

first part is my mandarin pair, 2nd part you can see yellow mark on belly of male, and ton of pods on the glass, hope I can keep up the pods. hatching bbs too and will be making a DIY feeder.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back