My first fish tank...120 gal mixed reef!

ejwan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup! Over time it will be something to see your "garden" grow. Do get a second heater. If one fails (and they do), the other will take over and prevent a tank crash.

Eaj1001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I have read that in several posts...I just feel like an idiot that my nemesis is palys! Haha I was going to do 2 heaters, I had a guy all lined up to help me with set up and that was our plan. Then he got out of the business, leaving me on my own and the place I got all my equipment from talked me out of it. That is a great reminder!
Having 2 heaters is a good idea..I have 2 as well.

OP
OP
Leslie Tabor

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update just for fun! Started a macroalgae refugium tonight for some pods...I must say I find them quite lovely! 20160708_231618.jpg

Oh and those would be my dying pulsing xenia in the background...courtesy of my RBTA. :rolleyes:

Eaj1001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update just for fun! Started a macroalgae refugium tonight for some pods...I must say I find them quite lovely! 20160708_231618.jpg

Oh and those would be my dying pulsing xenia in the background...courtesy of my RBTA. :rolleyes:
Xenia will come back if it's not being stung..my torch was stinging mine but moved the rock and they came right back.

Eaj1001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Refugium looks good..Ill have one when setting up 135.

Eaj1001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish they would! It has been months now, they just keep looking more and more sad :(
I can't say I knew what I was doing except to separate them from a stinging torch..some say they're a pest but I like them pretty good. I changed 2 t5 bulbs to actinic and they're growing really fast.

oneilwiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank tagging along, welcome to the hobby. Love to see more females in the hobby. What is your lighting schedule for your Radions.

OP
OP
Leslie Tabor

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank tagging along, welcome to the hobby. Love to see more females in the hobby. What is your lighting schedule for your Radions.
Thank you very much! I get that everytime I go into LFS...it is always shock that I put my tank together and do all my maintence NOT my hubby. My husband wouldn't touch my tank with a 10 foot pole! Lol My Radions are on a new premade setting, I am acclimating some new corals so I am trying a different light scheme. I have them set for a 10 hour photoperiod with the lunar cycle on (I LOVE that feature!)

OP
OP
Leslie Tabor

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to ask... about how much shelf rock did you use? I am looking to buy some just don't know how much to buy. What a great tank btw!
I am not sure how many pounds. I ordered it from BRS and I did pay quite a bit to try to get the giant flat pieces. I made sure I used all of it for that reason alone!! Only 1 was broken, and glued together great with the Ecotech coral glue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Leslie Tabor

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is official...my reef is 1 year old! I have to say this is quite a humbling undertaking. A few weeks ago I tried dosing ALK turns out I did it all wrong and lost 2 of my favorite corals before getting things balanced out again. This hobby can make you feel like a million bucks or a blithering idiot in the blink of an eye! I love all I have learned.
Otherwise, knock on wood...no serious issues. I thank all of you on R2R that have helped me out, this is my creation as I sit here right now... 20161120_143255.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well it is official...my reef is 1 year old! I have to say this is quite a humbling undertaking. A few weeks ago I tried dosing ALK turns out I did it all wrong and lost 2 of my favorite corals before getting things balanced out again. This hobby can make you feel like a million bucks or a blithering idiot in the blink of an eye! I love all I have learned.
Otherwise, knock on wood...no serious issues. I thank all of you on R2R that have helped me out, this is my creation as I sit here right now... 20161120_143255.jpg
Looks great! Sorry about the losses, but it looks like you're doing really well!

OP
OP
Leslie Tabor

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am entering another contest which requires an update to my tank thread! I dismantled part of my rock work and rearranged a few pieces to open up the middle of my tank. Let me know what you think! 20161214_112303.jpg sorry about the glare! Not the best pic...
As of late I am having a HUGE amount of trouble with LPS, mostly my euphyllia. Made a HUGE error with buffer solution in Sept that is haunting me...my water params are great but the damage was done apparently. Good times in reefing!:oops::rolleyes:o_O I added this beauty from BSA (thanks Ben!) 20161219_213622.jpg Still working on placing things...the RBTA (I am up to 3 again!) are making things slightly difficult. Waiting for the latest clone to find its spot. I love getting feedback and thoughts/ideas...I am a year into this now and am loving every minute...except the dying coral part! lol what a year!

OP
OP
Leslie Tabor

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just read through my tank build and I am amazed at how much things change! I really screwed up my tank for a bit trying to manually dose Alk/Cal/Mg soooo it is super depressing to see all the corals I lost...HOWEVER...I am happily plugging along with more soft coral/mushrooms...I love my nems all of which have done great! Almost to the 1.5 year mark...thanks for all the help R2R! 20170430_110009.jpg the side of the 120...mostly because I have both my mandarins AND my "baby eel" (engineer goby) in 1 pic!
20170430_105954.jpg
front...I am working on how to hide cords :( I didn't paint the back of the tank and NOW think I should have. Lol
20170310_125711.jpg
Cleaner shrimp having some fun!

Ok there is my update! No crazy equipment upgrades, no major drama just trying to keep the reef alive!:D

OP
OP
Leslie Tabor

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New pictures! Would really love thoughts, comments, ideas...I am still learning and I LOVE going through this thread and seeing how much I change things! I have gotten away from LPS/DPS for now, I don't seem to do right by them but softies/mushrooms/gorgonians and still my nems. Rough go with fish for a bit but seem to doing better...knock on wood!
20170516_172007.jpg the whole tank, it is a bit cloudy as my engineer goby, Prometheus, has decided to move again... 20170516_190946.jpg
This has become my favorite area of my reef
20170516_190558.jpg my new watanabei angels. I still have my original female and found this beautiful male with 2 other lady friends at a FS in Minneapolis! 20170516_172102.jpg 20170516_172210.jpg
My mandarin pair is doing great! I can't ever seem to catch the both, but Amadeus was posing nicely in my ricordea garden!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back