My first ICP test - Need help deciphering

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my first ICPO test back because I'm battling dino's and I need help deciphering the results and how to correct. The big one I see is lithium, not sure how I have it so high or where it comes from.
See attached pdf of ICP.

Some info:
Tank size - 80gal mixed reef
Salt I use: Reef Crystals Instant Ocean
Dosing Silicates to get rid of dino to build diatoms to battle
Stopped water change for a month to build up the nitrates and phos to also help with dino
Dosing BR two part calc and alk
Manually dosing mag every morning - 30 ml
I use a RODI to make fresh water
I use BRS Kalk and dose 2000ml a day.

Attachments

• Reef - July 9, 2023 (B-oGmdyW).pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 72

TheScientificReefer

Tlāloc
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a UV sterilizer? I can imagine a cracked bulb or something of the like could be leaking lithium. As for the dinos id recommend this Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/259474048655429/
There are some crazy efficient and passionate dinos hunters on there that will figure out your specific dino species and give you the best remedy. Alot of it comes down to the id

OP
OP
J

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a UV sterilizer? I can imagine a cracked bulb or something of the like could be leaking lithium. As for the dinos id recommend this Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/259474048655429/
There are some crazy efficient and passionate dinos hunters on there that will figure out your specific dino species and give you the best remedy. Alot of it comes down to the id
I've been using that FB group recommendations with silicate dosing...its been a month of fighting it.

OP
OP
J

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well dang lol the dino battle is a tuff one, Id personally recommend a hector or rainsford goby those boys love eating it, they always did the trick for me while I did blackouts or ran a UV sterilizer
Really, they eat dino ?
I have a 25 w UV running...but the kind of dino i have are not water borne...uggg

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya the lithium is a crazy one. You dont have any battery operated equipment in or near the tank? Maybe battery leaching? I use reef crystals and have not had that problem so dont think its the salt. If you do the ati icp they do your ro water too. Can tell you if thats it. Silicon is odf the charts but assume thats from your dosing.

Question tho? Why is it all our tanks come back with low iodine. Mine came back really low and every one i know who gets one has low iodine. Think these salt companies may need to up there iodine content in their salt or something

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of storage container are you using for the RODI water? Might be leeching lithium that way, I'd test the RODI too.
Lithium dies not seem likely from plastic. Why do you suggest that?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question tho? Why is it all our tanks come back with low iodine. Mine came back really low and every one i know who gets one has low iodine. Think these salt companies may need to up there iodine content in their salt or something

Iodine is rapidly consumed by microalgae and macroalgae.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my first ICPO test back because I'm battling dino's and I need help deciphering the results and how to correct. The big one I see is lithium, not sure how I have it so high or where it comes from.
See attached pdf of ICP.

Some info:
Stopped water change for a month to build up the nitrates and phos to also help with dino

I cannot see the pdf on my phone, but lithium is not generally a concern. What is the value?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see on my home computer it is 1.4 ppm. That is pretty high, but I do not know if it is a concern for a reef tank.

What salt mix and what additives do you use?
Potassium is low and I'd raise it to 400 ppm.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well dang lol the dino battle is a tuff one, Id personally recommend a hector or rainsford goby those boys love eating it, they always did the trick for me while I did blackouts or ran a UV sterilizer
This is either misinformation or groundbreaking - nothing eats dino as far as I know. You probably beat dino because of the uv/blackouts...not the fish.

Really, they eat dino ?
I have a 25 w UV running...but the kind of dino i have are not water borne...uggg
I do not think they eat dino, I'd had known as I battled dino for over a year and it was horrible. Your UV sounds kind of small, you may want a larger one. And since you have non-waterborne I wish you luck.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See attached pdf of ICP.

Some info:
Ever use the original Kent Tech M or the current Brightwell Hydrat-MG (both same recipe and magnesium source ala Jack Kent)? People who do generally have elevated lithium on ICP tests.

OP
OP
J

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see on my home computer it is 1.4 ppm. That is pretty high, but I do not know if it is a concern for a reef tank.

What salt mix and what additives do you use?
Potassium is low and I'd raise it to 400 ppm.
I use Reef Crystals and I think my Lithium is hign due to the Kent Marine Mag...I heard they add it in there to stop bryopsis.

OP
OP
J

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking to start in the Reef Moonshiners program soon to get my levels in check.
The Dino battle unfort is going to be a long one,,,,,,

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Reef Crystals and I think my Lithium is hign due to the Kent Marine Mag...I heard they add it in there to stop bryopsis.

Highly unlikely they intentionally add it at all. It may have elevated lithium, however.

That said, while we speculated for many years that Kent tech M had an impurity in it that helped with bryopsis when mag was raised very high with it, we never pinpointed any particular impurity, and I expect anyone that claims a specific impurity is randomly guessing.

OP
OP
J

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is either misinformation or groundbreaking - nothing eats dino as far as I know. You probably beat dino because of the uv/blackouts...not the fish.

I do not think they eat dino, I'd had known as I battled dino for over a year and it was horrible. Your UV sounds kind of small, you may want a larger one. And since you have non-waterborne I wish you luck.
What's your solution on fighting dino...this battle I have seems like it will take a while

OP
OP
J

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly unlikely they intentionally add it at all. It may have elevated lithium, however.

That said, while we speculated for many years that Kent tech M had an impurity in it that helped with bryopsis when mag was raised very high with it, we never pinpointed any particular impurity, and I expect anyone that claims a specific impurity is randomly guessing.
Rumor had it, it was Lithium.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's your solution on fighting dino...this battle I have seems like it will take a while
Mine was waterborne so a UV and feeding less worked for me. It. Took. Forever. I wish I had better advice for you. I threw the book at it (blackouts, peroxide, w/c's, no w/c's, etc etc) and it just didn't want to settle until it did. Happy to report I am able to keep sps now. Hang in there, it sucks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back