My fIrst marine build

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was recently about to do another planted tank and started researching dosers for ferts when I decided to watch a BRS video that popped up. After a bit of research and some shopping on marketplace I found a 60 gallon tank/stand with a 20 gallon homemade sump and a skimmer. The sump started out like this;
Sump_original.jpg

I am definately happy with my first homemade sump. Here is what happened after a trip to home depot and 80 bucks worth of acrylic and silicone;
Sump_side.jpg

Sump_side_equip.jpg

OP
OP
Conovan

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a bit of shopping on BRS and amazon I wound up with this. The Pic of the aquarium doesn't show the way the rock is layed out very well.

Setup.jpg

Layout.jpg

I cemented the arch together with marco e400 and left a space under the rock at the bottom of the arch for flow to go under (hopefully).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Conovan

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome .. you are about to open your reefing world with tons of knowledge.. Enjoy the ride!
The first bit of knowledge I would have loved is how crazy that skimmer was going to go when I turned it on today for the first time (day 8 of the cycle). that thing went into overdrive and started overflowing.

OP
OP
Conovan

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't take any pictures but for the ATO I am using a cheap 35 buck storage ottoman I found on amazon with a 10 gallon tank covered with the left over acrylic from the sump to keep evaporation down. Which leads me to a question. how important is the DI part of an RODOI system? I bought an RO buddy and didn't even think about the DI part.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liking the aquascape!
Plenty of open spaces to run in and out of.
Nice work!

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Nice to see some other GA folks on here. Any suggestions on a good LFS? Living in Middle GA there does not seem to be anything around here.

I live in North Georgia and have to drive an hour to Alpharetta! Dont seem to be many options.....

OP
OP
Conovan

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last week I went through the biggest bacterial bloom I have ever seen. almost like I had poured milk in the tank. Coming from freshwater I am used to smaller blooms and they usually clear in a day or two. this one took almost a week to clear. I didn't sweat much as I haven't added livestock yet. Is that normal?

OP
OP
Conovan

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added my first fish today. 2 clowns, 1 yellow tang, and 1 royal gramma. Ordered from liveaquaria on friday, processed and shipped yesterday, arrived today. 3 seem to be doing great and already eating. I don't know about the royal since it just made a bline for the rocks as soon as I turned it loose and I haven't seen it since.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome to R2R and to an ocean in your home. We’re glad you joined us !!

OP
OP
Conovan

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Gramma is alive and well. came out for feeding today. Then ran right back into the rocks afterwards.

OP
OP
Conovan

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a bottle each of pink and purple coralline into the tank yesterday. Looks like folks either say it works great or doesn't work at all. Since I started with completely dead/dry marco and haven't introduced any other way of seeding coralline; I guess this will be a great test of it in the comming months.

OP
OP
Conovan

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tang.jpg

My yellow tang just started eating Nori today (been putting it in for the 2 weeks I have had the fish). Also seeing some diatoms so I am thinking its time for a clean up crew. I looked at the packages on reef cleaners and the one they offer for 65 gallon seems like too many critters.. any thoughts on this?

OP
OP
Conovan

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone thinking of using https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/aquarium-supplies/coralline-algae-bottle/ I am very happy with the results as of today. its only been about 3 weeks and I have spots of coralline all over my rock today. I started out with everything dry (even rinsed the live sand in RO so may as well have been dry). I have not added the CUC yet so its all from the bottle. I did order CUC and chaeto from reefcleaners today. I ordered the 20 gallon pack since the 65 seemed like too much for such a fresh aquarium.

Back