My First Marine Tank (Deep Dive)

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really beautiful. Are those fungia in the front I see? I'd like to see some closer pics.

OP
OP
Ducks

Ducks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really beautiful. Are those fungia in the front I see? I'd like to see some closer pics.
They are! I first thought fungia were rubbish but after I put a couple in I think I am getting a bit of an addiction happening!

Here are some pics with my phone and macro camera

25b8201e9f3ae1114b0f3e90066d83cc.jpg

d1def8e2d56d03179a29750cca7f3c66.jpg

6b5a9ea237cb7ac95995a514ccab6810.jpg

SPS Hydno closeup [emoji3]
606d7eb0caa89d73dc772645a6338157.jpg

Apotack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank but I worry that you are adding livestock too quickly for a new setup.

Cae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It reminds me of a freshwater scape. I love it. Brilliant! Just remember it's not about the fish and coral, it's all about keeping good water quality. So test,test,test. Good luck with everything.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well designed tank. Looks great. Goal is to eventually be unable to see the rock due to coral overgrowth. Go slow. I’m always moving frags up and down seeing how they do.
Lights look high off the water. What kind of par do you think you get at the substrate level?

OP
OP
Ducks

Ducks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well designed tank. Looks great. Goal is to eventually be unable to see the rock due to coral overgrowth. Go slow. I’m always moving frags up and down seeing how they do.
Lights look high off the water. What kind of par do you think you get at the substrate level?
Don't know what par as yet, my par meter is on loan to my LFS and I have my lights on a 50% acclimation period for 4 weeks and my par meter will be back by then so will let you know [emoji3]

OP
OP
Ducks

Ducks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It reminds me of a freshwater scape. I love it. Brilliant! Just remember it's not about the fish and coral, it's all about keeping good water quality. So test,test,test. Good luck with everything.
Yep sure is! Currently been testing every day but now starting to alternate tests over two days as my ammonium is always 0 as is my phosphate, and my nitrate is a able at 3. Will continue testing and once I get my reactor and dosing pump by end of Jan then I will do another month of testing to ensure stability [emoji3]

OP
OP
Ducks

Ducks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank but I worry that you are adding livestock too quickly for a new setup.
I certainly am going against what is accepted but it has worked out for me thus far. The livestock are fed mysis and reef mix foods with some Nori thrown in, no pellet food. The fish are fed 3-4 times a day in small meals and have been doing well so far. Fingers crossed!

OP
OP
Ducks

Ducks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cae, I forgot to add that I do 75-90% sea water changes in the middle of each month and do a test 'reset' then do readjust parameters with slow increases or decreases according to a guide of fresh sea water. Keep good water and the rest will follow [emoji3]

OP
OP
Ducks

Ducks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add Blackjack that the lights are 12 inches off the water. Once I get the par meter back from the LFS (apogee par meter) I will readjust light distance accordingly.

Cae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cae, I forgot to add that I do 75-90% sea water changes in the middle of each month and do a test 'reset' then do readjust parameters with slow increases or decreases according to a guide of fresh sea water. Keep good water and the rest will follow
emoji3.png
Yep sure is! Currently been testing every day but now starting to alternate tests over two days as my ammonium is always 0 as is my phosphate, and my nitrate is a able at 3. Will continue testing and once I get my reactor and dosing pump by end of Jan then I will do another month of testing to ensure stability [emoji3]
There's some talk starting that ultra low nitrates might not be good for our tanks after all. Keep an eye out for that. My nitrates are high but my fish and softies are looking healthy so I don't worry so much. As long as my calcium and Ph are ok I'm happy.

OP
OP
Ducks

Ducks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's some talk starting that ultra low nitrates might not be good for our tanks after all. Keep an eye out for that. My nitrates are high but my fish and softies are looking healthy so I don't worry so much. As long as my calcium and Ph are ok I'm happy.
Yeah, will certainly keep an eye out as I don't want a champ outbreak and I am harvesting my caeto every week as I don't want the nutrients completely stripped back. Bit of a juggling game and still learning as I go [emoji3] thanks for the advice [emoji3]

Cae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly Ducks people will throw out advice left right and centre until it gets so confusing that you pull your hair out. But if you take your time and do a lot of listening and research then you should be able to achieve a half decent looking tank. Don't go by those beautiful utopian tanks that you see in all the magazines and articles as they probably only stayed like that for a couple of days then got cyano! Best advice I can give you is patients. Good luck with your tank.

OP
OP
Ducks

Ducks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly Ducks people will throw out advice left right and centre until it gets so confusing that you pull your hair out. But if you take your time and do a lot of listening and research then you should be able to achieve a half decent looking tank. Don't go by those beautiful utopian tanks that you see in all the magazines and articles as they probably only stayed like that for a couple of days then got cyano! Best advice I can give you is patients. Good luck with your tank.
I agree. A good example is the YouTuber reefbum who a year ago promoted dosing stump remover directly into his tank for coral health to raise nitrates and #yolo a month or two after his tank was rekt. Everything is going super well thus far; diatom bloom has subsided now and all the SPS and LOSS corals are growing well. Have added a lot more corals and some cucumbers, urchin and a nice clam. Will post some progress pics in a couple weeks [emoji3]

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little late but welcome to the salt life!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back